Freo fans dislike of us..how do you really feel about Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The title is of course the most obvious in the world, but a recent thread I posted there sort of confirmed what I've always felt. I know I'm painting with a broad brush, but I always felt a lot of the purple haze had an inferiority complex, and from the replies there is a lot of real hatred towards the West Coast football club, but especially a lot of its supporters.

I basically asked how many Freo fans were ex-Eagles supporters, it wasn't a troll or bait, and many just expressed their hatred of us, how we were all feral and nasty and Freo fans exemplified sportsmanship. We were blamed for destroying the WAFL (rather ironic, since they're still supporting an AFL club), being arrogant.etc. Yes, Eagles fans can be feral, bad losers.etc, but let's not pretend Dockers fans can't at all.

I know many Eagles supporters similarly dislike the Dockers, but just among Dockers fans I love many just make their disdain of West Coast known, whereas I feel a lot of West Coast supporters don't care that much. We're the older, more successful club and I think some are a little jealous of that. I know it would be annoying to rub their noses in it, and I've occasionally been guilty, but the attitude of many Freo supporters kind of makes me less sympathetic towards the Dockers.

I was actually going for them in 2013, as they were still representing Western Australia in a way. I sometimes go for them, but I've never been one of those who were like 'I go for the Eagles or whoever's playing the Dockers', which I feel is a small-minded way to think about a national comp...losing derbies is always painful though lol, but boy do they like to gloat about it...

Seems to be an endless topic , dont think I really care ......once they leave for Cockburn they should improve and the big " Freo " thing might lose some value .

Cant stand them, any footy club with fremantle in its name makes me want to puke....grew up in the Claremont area (but always went for the Demons) and used to go down the road to quite a few Sths an East's games, the veggie growing old ladies that used to be at either goal end at the Sths games were the cause of my dislike...GET IM NOEL, RIP IS FN HEAD OFF BASIL and stuff like that, I'm sure that's were i learnt my first extreme profanities!...some of the stuff that came from the mouths of those old ladies(?)while they banged on the tin signage was amazing, not as extreme at the Easts games but not far off.
I would think it very different these days?

I hate them with a fiery passion.

A major reason is because my cousin, a Freo supporter, has been rubbing in their success for the past couple years.

The look on his face in this years first derby after the siren was one of my highlights this season.

Although, on a more personal level, Freo don't really draft many players from the area they represent. A count of their list shows they have very few East or South players, while the Eagles have about 7-8 East players (they are the best WAFL club after all).

Last edited:
bunch of turncoats :p
Seriously though their supporters are a bunch of frothing campaigners that love to talk about us all day, I'm assuming out of pure envy - but they're probably not as bad as other opposition supporters. Just sucks we have to share some of our entire west coast with them.

Didn't mind them in the early days but soon tired of the " we are real supporters, and Eagles supporters know nothing about footy "
bullshit.
Despite their salt of the earth delusions I know more than a few Claremont fans who climbed onboard with Neesham and called the Dockers West Claremont.
I found their performance this year very enjoyable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three reasons to go to Fremantle
1) To play sport if fixtured there.
2) To put the boat in.
3) An emergency

1) Freo oval is the only place I refuse watch footy at because its a ******* disgrace of a ground. Stands are a joke, the outer is a s**t and the facilities are non-existent.
2) Any point further south of Freo is far more convenient unless you have a cargo vessel.
3) Freo hospital is one of the best hospitals in the state if you have mental health issues, pretty conveniently placed really.

Didn't mind them in the early days but soon tired of the " we are real supporters, and Eagles supporters know nothing about footy "
bullshit.
Despite their salt of the earth delusions I know more than a few Claremont fans who climbed onboard with Neesham and called the Dockers West Claremont.
I found their performance this year very enjoyable.

Sums up my feelings for well. They always go on about how they know soooo much more about footy than eagles supporters, as if by being a freo supporter, you automatically know more than anyone else. They crap on about getting no help from the AFL when they first came in, which compared to GC & GWS that's true, but they still got some help. They were only formed to try and dilute our talent, as the Vics feared we'd be unstoppable after 92.

Throw in the fact that they care more about winning derbys than anything else, and it makes for some annoying arguments. I know a few good ones, that I can have a normal conversation with, even about footy, and it never gets nasty or bitter, but then I also know some absolute flogs who support them, and they're overall jerkness, makes me hate the club even more.

Last but not least, some of their players over the years have really got under my skin. Everytime Farmer used to do that f**king salute to the sky, I wanted to jump through the TV and belt him, but I left the belting up to him, he seemed to be ok at it behind closed doors. Carr brothers, Solomon, Headland, the list goes on. They are a failure, and a s**t stain on west australian sport. They'll win a womens flag before the men do, which will be funny, especially when Natalie Fyfe becomes the womens team captain.

I have tried hard to be neutral towards them but nearly all their players are complete flogs ( PAv was ok) and their supporters are 99% losers. I just can't help but hate them...

Don't mind the club but the fans are meat-headed s**t-sacks who cling on to this salt of the earth, underdog, hard done by identity they've been forced to create to make up for a lack of on field success. It's sad more than anything else. If/when they win a couple of flags I'm hopeful they'll grow up and shut the * up

I would burn their club to the ground, salt the earth and bathe in the tears of their genetically defective supporters.

The whole club perpetuates victim mentality.

Part of the complex involves creating an oppressor. The AFL, umpires, media and The Eagles are all to blame for their failures.

Endless talk and whinging does not hide the fact they are completely responsible for their culture and the little respect they have around the league.

and their supporters sheesh..Classic inferiority complex. Absolutely obsessed with the Eagles. I'm sure they hand out a tin foil hat with each membership

PerthBoy86.....why the fascination with how others feel about your team. Thread on the main board angling towards the Eagles being hated in Melbourne, the thread on the Dockers board that surely didn't surprise you in its outcome.

The last line of your second last paragraph is part of the issue Dockers supporters have with people like you (who unfortunately then get held up as 'typical of West Coast supporters'). Dockers fans don't want or need our SYMPATHY. We're rivals in a national competition and geographically they are our closest rivals, which likely makes them our fiercest. The clubs were born in different circumstances and just like Adelaide and Port Adelaide people, there will be argument amongst supporters that go beyond on field to discussion around how each club was created. But sympathy? They don't want or need it from us and when we offer it (or suggest we're taking it away) we do look like arrogant, smug, conceited Johnny come latelys. Since the Dockers came in, it's premierships 1-0, with us losing two GF and them one. In the time both of us have been in the competition multiple other clubs have 2+ flags while multiple other clubs have 0.

The whole club perpetuates victim mentality.

Part of the complex involves creating an oppressor. The AFL, umpires, media and The Eagles are all to blame for their failures.

Endless talk and whinging does not hide the fact they are completely responsible for their culture and the little respect they have around the league.

and their supporters sheesh..Classic inferiority complex. Absolutely obsessed with the Eagles. I'm sure they hand out a tin foil hat with each membership
You could make the same argument about us an the PRICKtorians. Then again we have been victim's of their countless bullshit and bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back