Autopsy Freo lose to Port. By a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes huge clean out required. Get rid of Suban, Sutcliffe, Sherridan, Crozier, Johnson, Tabbener, Ibbitson, Dawson,

Yes huge clean out required. Johnson, Suban, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Tabener, Ibbitson, Dawson, D Pearce, Kersten yes Kersten and next week No 23. Clarke must go as well. Play Collins, Strynica & Logue who cares! We have invested poorly in Tabener, Crozier, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Bennell, Yarran, Clarke. Weller, Blakely, Tucker must show some improvement quick.

Bloody sad club!!!

I don't think we'll need to "get rid" of anyone. At this stage there'll be a mass exodus out the gates 5 minutes after the last round. I think Fyfe, Sheridan, Weller, Langdon, Croz and Blakely will all either leave or try and leave.

He did select Brad Hill Who coughed it up a few times as well

Both Hills, Tucker, Weller and Langdon all coughed it up a lot. As did Walters. All of these guys were actually trying to get something happening. If we can get the hills to combine for 40 disposals a game we'll do a lot better. A lot of other players such as D.Pearce, Suban, Ibbo, Johnson, Sutcliffe and unfortunately even Mundy just looked lost.

Blakely needs way more midfield time, how Ross doesn't see this is bizarre.

Hate to say it, but watching us yesterday from behind the goals reminded me of Carlton and their propensity to trap themselves on the wings and turn the ball over during the Malthouse years.
Yeah, they won't attack the corridor (our back six) most likely because they are s**t kicks. The only guys to go through that middle are the Hill brothers. We did the same thing against Geelong, commentators couldn't understand why we kept going to the wings.

Both Hills, Tucker, Weller and Langdon all coughed it up a lot. As did Walters. All of these guys were actually trying to get something happening. If we can get the hills to combine for 40 disposals a game we'll do a lot better. A lot of other players such as D.Pearce, Suban, Ibbo, Johnson, Sutcliffe and unfortunately even Mundy just looked lost.

Blakely needs way more midfield time, how Ross doesn't see this is bizarre.
Thing can be fix , just need some patient . don't see the point calling ross head now.

I don't think we'll need to "get rid" of anyone. At this stage there'll be a mass exodus out the gates 5 minutes after the last round. I think Fyfe, Sheridan, Weller, Langdon, Croz and Blakely will all either leave or try and leave.
I'll help Sheridan out the door, good trade bait for us.

Thing can be fix , just need some patient . don't see the point calling ross head now.

I'm not calling for Ross to be sacked, I just hope he makes some decent changes. Which sucks because I want Peel to win just as much as Freo.

Mark on the wing.
Kick back 20m.
Kick back another 20m.
Long bomb 40m up the line to a 1v3 contest.

Rinse repeat.

I want to shoot myself in the ******* face.
I turned the TV off in first QTR after that drill was repeated endlessly. And that is the blame of the coach, obviously a Drill they practiced to do it so often.

It's getting harder to justify what is going on. The worst part is how self-inflicted it is.

The worst kind of game to watch is one where your team loses, not where you can clearly see the other team winning through simply being better. This is right up there with the most frustrating Freo team I've ever watched. It's because for five minutes they show you what is possible before forgetting how to play again. The stats indicating that the majority of goals are coming from turn-overs is really hard to accept. It means they just aren't switched on or their skills are insanely poor, particularly coming out of defense and trying to get it to the forward line.

If we're playing like this, then there is absolutely no justification for having Suban, Johnson and Dawson in the team. These guys are the definition of dead-weight. None will contribute anything past this season, and none are offering anything in terms of leadership. Johnson is a shadow of the player he used to be, and I think he knows it. All of the off-field drama could be getting to him.

What I remarked while watching the game is - we have very very little on-field leadership. Over the last few seasons we have lost Pavlich and McPharlin, our two generals at either end. I believe it's this lack of on-field leadership that is really killing us. Fyfe is in his first year as captain, and I dare say it's proving to be a very steep learning curve for him.

So, what can we do? Not much. Lyon isn't going anywhere, he has a very long time left on his contract. Also, I don't believe it's solely his fault, our team has a lot of new faces, and we also just don't have the cattle to get to the top eight at this point.

What should happen is Suban should be replaced by Balic, and Logue should come in just to show us that the youth is coming through. Other than that, we sit tight and watch.

Great post and welcome to the forum. Hard to disagree with any of this and I agree regarding the onfield leadership that appears to be lacking. Just goes to show how important Pav was on the front line.

I've just finished watching the game and it became nothing but a training run for Port against a bunch of lost souls that seem to have zero belief. I think Ballantyne's "do or die" attitude is sorely missed out there... someone needs wake them the $&@ up and so far that dose to appear to be coming from Fyfe.

Worst game I've seen us play in forever.

Thinking about our s**t ball movement from the back half, it relates to leg speed as much as skill.
Weller takes off with the ball and finds donuts running with him.

You combine Spurr (slow and a loopy kick), Dawson (Average at most things), Ibbotson (can't make a decision with the ball within a week), Johnson (now slow and a ball burner) and you're in trouble.
Watching Adelaide, it was very noticeable how their guys run in waves from the back with everyone moving together at pace

I miss ballas run down his opponent in his peak day , I ain't seeing any yesterday . grey with peel on the weekend do a chase and tackle with peel on saturday and he is in rehab most of time in pre season . stop having to think you are freo player or peel . when you put on that jumper you play for that team not yourself.

I haven't been to watch training much but every time I do they do the circle work drills....looks strangely like our game plan now that I think about it. Kick it backwards along a wing, then across to the other one and try to get it back up the other wing. The majority of the time they go anti clockwise in that drill too 8o

No wonder opposition teams can defend so easily...our game plan is just circle work!!!

Probably less likely for Blakely since he's a local, but agreed on the others. Crozier and Sheridan in particular would be very keen to look elsewhere if Lyon remains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about our s**t ball movement from the back half, it relates to leg speed as much as skill.

You combine Spurr (slow and a loopy kick), Dawson (Average at most things), Ibbotson (can't make a decision with the ball within a week), Johnson (now slow and a ball burner) and you're in trouble.
Watching Adelaide, it was very noticeable how their guys run in waves from the back with everyone moving together at pace
Spot on, I think it's compounded by them practicing it in training against our midfield which isn't applying great pressure either so they think they have it sussed.
Serious lack of leg speed in the back line. As you mentioned Adelaide, look at their youngsters that are 'running' the ball. Milera, Hampton, Atkins and Knight. They can all crack on the pace.
It's quite possible though that Lyon knows this and we don't have the cattle so he's trying to slow the game down, either way it's not working.

Spot on, I think it's compounded by them practicing it in training against our midfield which isn't applying great pressure either so they think they have it sussed.
Serious lack of leg speed in the back line. As you mentioned Adelaide, look at their youngsters that are 'running' the ball. Milera, Hampton, Atkins and Knight. They can all crack on the pace.
It's quite possible though that Lyon knows this and we don't have the cattle so he's trying to slow the game down, either way it's not working.

I was really surprised at Weller who we all thought had a serious turn of speed being left behind by Impey who also had the extra burden of bouncing the Ball. Impey left Weller for dead.

I was really surprised at Weller who we all thought had a serious turn of speed being left behind by Impey who also had the extra burden of bouncing the Ball. Impey left Weller for dead.
Impey is very fast both short and long distance. Weller is just quick.

I miss ballas run down his opponent in his peak day , I ain't seeing any yesterday . grey with peel on the weekend do a chase and tackle with peel on saturday and he is in rehab most of time in pre season . stop having to think you are freo player or peel . when you put on that jumper you play for that team not yourself.
There was one effort on the D50 line where Sutcliffe stood and watched Hamling make one tackle, get up and make another.. it made me sick watching that.

I remember one piece where we switched across the backline to 3 Dockers together. Tucker took the mark (I know, we hit one of the targets) and he took off leaving the other two Dockers in his wake. They just couldn't go with him. I knew exactly what would happen next, Tucker had no one to kick it to so had to stop and then handball 5m forward to DP who kicked back behind Tucker to one of the 2 Dockers that were burnt off by Tucker. That player then of course went backwards again - to Dawson!!! So we were back where we started from before the switch!

Our idea of running in waves is more realistic to waves on the shoreline - up and then back...

I haven't been to watch training much but every time I do they do the circle work drills....looks strangely like our game plan now that I think about it. Kick it backwards along a wing, then across to the other one and try to get it back up the other wing. The majority of the time they go anti clockwise in that drill too 8o

No wonder opposition teams can defend so easily...our game plan is just circle work!!!
Old fashioned U14 training drills.... I think Ross has run out of ideas...

I remember one piece where we switched across the backline to 3 Dockers together. Tucker took the mark (I know, we hit one of the targets) and he took off leaving the other two Dockers in his wake. They just couldn't go with him. I knew exactly what would happen next, Tucker had no one to kick it to so had to stop and then handball 5m forward to DP who kicked back behind Tucker to one of the 2 Dockers that were burnt off by Tucker. That player then of course went backwards again - to Dawson!!! So we were back where we started from before the switch!

Our idea of running in waves is more realistic to waves on the shoreline - up and then back...

That's right...We need to start with a traditional forward line too and play deeper. Match the outnumber in our forward line.
That way we always have a target, we can have multiple players leading and one deep to hoof it to if need be, put the acid on the mids and half backs to control their domain

Great post and welcome to the forum. Hard to disagree with any of this and I agree regarding the onfield leadership that appears to be lacking. Just goes to show how important Pav was on the front line.

I've just finished watching the game and it became nothing but a training run for Port against a bunch of lost souls that seem to have zero belief. I think Ballantyne's "do or die" attitude is sorely missed out there... someone needs wake them the $&@ up and so far that dose to appear to be coming from Fyfe.

Worst game I've seen us play in forever.
Thanks for the welcome :), I've been around for long time though, just don't post as regularly as I used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back