Autopsy Freo lose to the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

What also annoys me is we do 2-3 handballs in very close, get stripped, opposition fire out 1 handball to someone away from the contest and bingo they're off.

We fire off 2-3 handballs in close and end up whacking it on the boot.

In other words we have ZERO spread away from the contest OR we structure up to close.

Also what the hell was with Fyfe winning clearances and just pumping long to the boundary line about 50m out? I gather they have a loose, but why can't he at least pump it to a contest... whats the point of winning a clearance if it just creates another stoppage.

Our clearance work may win on numbers, but sucks with regards to efficiency.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say last week, we get contested ball but rarely win the contest. Those 2 or 3 handballs all counts as contested possession stats-wise, but the ball when it breaks clear of the congestion goes towards the opposition goals.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say last week, we get contested ball but rarely win the contest. Those 2 or 3 handballs all counts as contested possession stats-wise, but the ball when it breaks clear of the congestion goes towards the opposition goals.
We either need more spread, or at least have 1 guy (pref a pacy runner) 10m out waiting to either intercept their receiver if they get it out, or get it clear if we do.

I disagree with people saying we need a more attacking coach. Every successful team in any code will always praise defence first because when the attack’s not working, you can fall back on your defence. IMO Ross is teaching our list the defensive structures first and then once he’s happy the playing group has a good grasp on that, he’ll start focusing on the attack. He has somewhat with the movement from defence but with a lack of KPF due to injury or numbers, we can’t expect too much from the current available players. We were looking a million dollars when Tabs was up and running at the start of the season.

I disagree with people saying we need a more attacking coach. Every successful team in any code will always praise defence first because when the attack’s not working, you can fall back on your defence. IMO Ross is teaching our list the defensive structures first and then once he’s happy the playing group has a good grasp on that, he’ll start focusing on the attack. He has somewhat with the movement from defence but with a lack of KPF due to injury or numbers, we can’t expect too much from the current available players. We were looking a million dollars when Tabs was up and running at the start of the season.

Why can't he do both things?

That was gash but what you gonna do. Clearly not a Ross basher but he seriously needed to even up the forwards in the 3rd, we couldn't get it out because the long bomb was intercepted. Not good enough Rossco.

Luke Ryan is a superstar. Fast catching Sonny as my favourite player.
DP was ok in the 1st and then I genuinely forgot we was playing for 2 quarters when he popped up in the 4th.

We can put a line through finals so good chance to get DP, Johnno and Ballas out. Love you guys and thanks for the memories but your time has passed.

He's a tough bugger too Ryan , leadership group next year for mine

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute rubbish. The most expensive leagues in the world, Soccer, NFL and Basketball. The players are the most important. Coaches come and go. AFL will be no different in 2-3 decades.

I get the ghist of what you are saying but coaches in the NFL are probably second to the QB in importance with the play calling etc

Hardwick admitted he didn't listen to anyone.
I agree about giving Ross a chance to rebuild and then decide. But the nagging question with Ross, is do you want your next generation playing under his system (or lack of it)? If he gets moved on in two years, the next coach will have to start from scratched to reprogram them all. Are we just wasting two years that should be given to the next coach who we believe has a good system for modern footy? That's something Freo have to work out, otherwise we may be in a rebuild for 8 years, not 5.

That's the one

Out muscled and well beaten by a side with way more spirit than we can muster ATM. It used to be a hallmark of our teams that we may not be the most skilful but we always had a red hot crack ! Now we are a weak bunch of fading veterans and a lot of front running squibs supported by half a dozen legends who actually GAF

I dunno about that TonyG.

We put pressure on them and put them completely off their game until the last quarter, we forced them to spud it up again and again. What we lacked was some scoreboard pressure which let them think that they were still in the game - which is a significant issue - not excusing that.

But ffs, given that it's not the melt thread... We've turned 22 blokes over in the list and are playing a stack of extremely young players - Brayshaw won't be 19 until after next draft for example - do you remember at 18 how big 26 year olds are - they are freakin huge by comparison. We are going to be out muscled if we play so much youth, we are sacrificing a better chance at winning right now in favour of putting experience in to the young uns so that we can better win later.

Surely players have the ability to pick up more than one aspect of the game at once. Game-plans are cumulative. No use teaching a player how to defend/exit the D50 if at that point they then have no idea what to do.

Why can't he do both things?
I feel like he thinks it’s easier to teach them defence first then attack rather than a little bit of both at once.

Different code but Steve Kerr of the Golden State Warriors gives full credit to Mark Jackson for teaching the team how to defend, Steve just implemented a game plan to let his stars flourish playing small ball. I’d keep Lyon but introduce another development coach and have a strategic coach/better assistant coaches under him.

I completely understand the louder voices directed towards the coach, we are still playing a lot of players that haven't played a lot of footy. Guys that we are reliant on playing good games are still very inexperienced. Hamling, Blakely, McCarthy, A Pearce, Langdon and Ryan have played between 20 and 55 games each. Given some of our oldest players are complete liabilities, I think we just don't have the personnel yet to play good consistent footy.

In saying that, if you bring Danyle Pearce in, you better damn well win. There's no point him playing otherwise.

I feel like he thinks it’s easier to teach them defence first then attack rather than a little bit of both at once.

Different code but Steve Kerr of the Golden State Warriors gives full credit to Mark Jackson for teaching the team how to defend, Steve just implemented a game plan to let his stars flourish playing small ball. I’d keep Lyon but introduce another development coach and have a strategic coach/better assistant coaches under him.
Only if they have enough say to make a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it is, the forward line would have nothing to do with the fact we havent recruited or traded for a decent KPF for the last 5 or 6 years?
I think lloyds been pretty decent these recent few drafts and trading but we are paying dearly for our ignorant short sighted drafting before then.

Darling over pitt(while it was funny while he spudded it up in big games here and there i never was one of these 'glad' we never took him people,it was a **** up plain and simple), telling yeo to look down the road ,apeness over lobb and the BIGGEST blunder in our chequered recruiting history the failure to take stock of andy,haze,schammers advice and give the mcgovern boys a chance(only needed on our rookie list ffs)

The double edge sword of all of them (bar lobb) was we wouldve denied our cross town rival of 3 of their best players.
All those decisions (again perhaps bar lobb ) were inexcusable AFAIC. We needed kpp/f ,they were right under own noses and wouldve come cheap

We **** up ,plain ans simple

I think lloyds been pretty decent these recent few drafts and trading but we are paying dearly for our ignorant short sighted drafting before then.

Darling over pitt(while it was funny while he spudded it up in big games here and there i never was one of these 'glad' we never took him people,it was a **** up plain and simple), telling yeo to look down the road ,apeness over lobb and the BIGGEST blunder in our chequered recruiting history the failure to take stock of andy,haze,schammers advice and give the mcgovern boys a chance(only needed on our rookie list ffs)

The double edge sword of all of them (bar lobb) was we wouldve denied our cross town rival of 3 of their best players.
All those decisions (again perhaps bar lobb ) were inexcusable AFAIC. We needed kpp/f ,they were right under own noses and wouldve come cheap

We **** up ,plain ans simple

It's the inevitable consequence of having our head of recruiting based in Melbourne. It means we're a lot more likely to miss what's under our noses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back