Freo players that could of been but fell short

Remove this Banner Ad

Footskill

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any Freo players that comes to mind that you think could have made it, but for some reason or another just fell short.

Could be injury related like Morabito or was just missing something that hindered them taking that next step.

Ignoring the obvious talents cruelled by injury like Mora and Clem Michael, I will die on the hill that Andrew Shipp would have been developed into a very good player at a club like Sydney or Geelong.

Very tough and a great overhead mark for his size. I thought he was progressing beautifully until CC came on the scene and just stopped playing him.

I have to keep my range to about 2002 onwards as I was too young before that.

Mora takes the cake by a mile, he was on track to be our version of Dustin Martin.

Next for would be Apeness. Could have been a beast.

Ruffles and Pitt. Ruffles had that one game where he really looked a player and then did his knee. Pitt unforeseen heart issue.

Valente has to be right up there too, so much hope!

Biggest disappointment of all though was Simpson, what a waste of talent.

Pretty big list for different reasons...

Barlow - Broken leg was own track for a Brownlow until then. '
Rhys Palmer - Broken leg was going along well for a young fella until then.
Morabito - Broken Everything was going like a steam train until then.
Josh Simpson - I think he could have been a match winner.
Appeness - Broken Everything would have been a handy big man.
Dardy - Broken head.
Hogan - Broken head.

Could probably go on but these are the first few that came to mind.

Clayton Hinkley...

But in all seriousness, Ryley Dunn was more talented than his career suggests IMO.

Shane Yarran, Casey Sibosado, Harley Bennell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

could have*

and mitch crowden if he was ever played in his natural position 😔
As an outside fan, Crowden is the one that makes me reconsider everything.

Usually I am very good at identifying players that will be really good very early on (Tom Green, Davies Uniacke, etc), but this little fella, I absolutely had him on the list.

He looked like a mini Lachie Neale (if that is even possible as Lachie is already technically mini).

I do wonder if his height of 174cm in the modern game was something that for someone like J-Lo was too much to look past?

(Maybe it is lowkey the center of Bell and Longmuir's turmoil as Bell, a former fellow midget midfielder resonated with Crowden's plight, but J-Lo couldn't.)

Hopefully he can get going in the WAFL and he gets picked up so we can see that lateral movement once again.

Colin Sylvia was one of the better talents of the 2000s, but somehow became even lazier upon arriving at a much more professional club.

Scott Chisholm. Never lived up to his first year. Was my favourite player in our first year.

More recent: I liked Max Duffy, but never lived up to his first half game.

Not even sure on both, what the exact problem was in the end. Body, mind or plain form and bad luck.

Not exactly the point of the thread, but I always wished we'd gotten to see Hasleby and Headland play under Ross. Both supremely talented but never reached the heights they should have.

Morabito and Ruffles the main ones that come to mind. Luke Webster another, wouldn't have necessarily been a star but deserved a decent career.

Surprised nobody has mentioned him yet, but mine is Clem Michael. If only he had his old man's longevity.

I'm thinking Treacy. I think he's just what we need, but he's not in JL's cool gang, so rather than get a solid stint in the seniors, he's having his confidence smashed and back playing crap in the 2's. JL has tried a similar thing with Sturt, but good to see Sturt fighting back.

With Tabener gone, Treacy should be given a prolonged attempt at that role. The coaches need to actually show him some faith and build his confidence. not point playing a young KPF once or twice then dropping them.

I'm thinking Treacy. I think he's just what we need, but he's not in JL's cool gang, so rather than get a solid stint in the seniors, he's having his confidence smashed and back playing crap in the 2's. JL has tried a similar thing with Sturt, but good to see Sturt fighting back.

With Tabener gone, Treacy should be given a prolonged attempt at that role. The coaches need to actually show him some faith and build his confidence. not point playing a young KPF once or twice then dropping them.
There is a reason Treacy went in the rookie draft, his consistency and ability to stay in games needs a lot of work. I would still be inclined to say to him….you have 5 games to show us what you got and we won’t drop you before that. If he shows enough keep him, if not he will be depth at best or maybe let him go.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Taberner

When he's on, he's on and unstoppable. A combination of indecisiveness on his part, a shoddy gameplan/forward structure that doesn't compliment him and not getting a good chance to get a good run at it has made it hard for him to get to the level we all know he can get too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back