Freo players that could of been but fell short

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Pearce could have been anything! He could've been a great defender! A captain! A leader of men!

But alas I know the real truth!

'Alexander Pearce (1790 – 19 July 1824) was a convict who was transported to the penal colony in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania), Australia for seven years for theft. He escaped from prison several times, allegedly becoming a cannibal during one of the escapes. In another escape, with one companion, he allegedly killed him and ate him in pieces. He was eventually captured and was hanged in Hobart for murder, before being dissected.'

Chose a life of petty cannibalism when he could have led us to our first flag. Very sad and all too common these days.

Alex Pearce could have been anything! He could've been a great defender! A captain! A leader of men!

'Alexander Pearce (1790 – 19 July 1824) was a convict who was transported to the penal colony in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania), Australia for seven years for theft. He escaped from prison several times, allegedly becoming a cannibal during one of the escapes. In another escape, with one companion, he allegedly killed him and ate him in pieces. He was eventually captured and was hanged in Hobart for murder, before being dissected.'

Chose a life of petty cannibalism when he could have led us to our first flag. Very sad and all too common these days.
He was also the inspiration for my favourite WPA song.

Ahhh so that's how he made his bone broth...

There is a reason Treacy went in the rookie draft, his consistency and ability to stay in games needs a lot of work. I would still be inclined to say to him….you have 5 games to show us what you got and we won’t drop you before that. If he shows enough keep him, if not he will be depth at best or maybe let him go.
Agree, but how they're managing him has been very poor. They havent given him a decent go. As we both say, he should be given an ample series of games to go into with high confidence and see how he goes then. being in and out of a side does only bad things for a person's confidence.

Ignoring the obvious talents cruelled by injury like Mora and Clem Michael, I will die on the hill that Andrew Shipp would have been developed into a very good player at a club like Sydney or Geelong.

Very tough and a great overhead mark for his size. I thought he was progressing beautifully until CC came on the scene and just stopped playing him.
Totally agree. He was a veryy strong young man. Hard to move off the ball when in contests.
He and Scott Thornton are running a business together in Fremantle.I think it is Fremantle.
But the one I am really sorry not to have seen build his own legacy, was Clem Michael. Even with a busted knee, he showed many traits of his father Stepehen.Maybe never as good as TI, but gee he looked good when on song.

Last edited:
I suggest Andrew McLeod. Could’ve been a true Freo champion, probably in our top 3 players ever, but alas was never given a real chance to show what he could do. That bloody earring.

I suggest Andrew McLeod. Could’ve been a true Freo champion, probably in our top 3 players ever, but alas was never given a real chance to show what he could do. That bloody earring.
Don't delude yourself. Read his book. He was NEVER EVER going to come to Fremantle.He said it himself.

This one's gonna be random...

I'm going to chose Ryan Murphy.

He was a Victorian key forward.

Promising in his early years. He had a solid game in our 1st ever finals win vs the demons. Pavlich, Murphy, Medhurst and farmer looked like a good forward line in 2004-6.

Then dockers traded in Chris Tarrant.

Most dockers fans, me included thought a team of Pavlich, Tarrant and farmer was gonna lead us to a flag in 2007.

So Murphy struggled to get games after that. He was gone from freos list at the end of 2010.

I know it's a stretch. You imagine if Freo didn't trade for Tarrant at the end of 2006. Medhurst would still be on the list at 2007 too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised no one has mentioned Taberner

When he's on, he's on and unstoppable. A combination of indecisiveness on his part, a shoddy gameplan/forward structure that doesn't compliment him and not getting a good chance to get a good run at it has made it hard for him to get to the level we all know he can get too
Watched him for Peel in 2016-2017. He was beasting, but not like 2 goals. But 20 disposals, 10 marks, 3 goals. Proper put the hand up to be selected games.

Ross never liked him. Probably why Taberner body breaks down. He’s a freaking hard worker and trains the house down.

Promising in his early years. He had a solid game in our 1st ever finals win vs the demons. Pavlich, Murphy, Medhurst and farmer looked like a good forward line in 2004-6.

Most dockers fans, me included thought a team of Pavlich, Tarrant and farmer was gonna lead us to a flag in 2007.

So Murphy struggled to get games after that. He was gone from freos list at the end of 2010.

I know it's a stretch. You imagine if Freo didn't trade for Tarrant at the end of 2006. Medhurst would still be on the list at 2007 too
Was going to mention this.
CC really just drops someone and banishes them.

Tarrant was the wrong trade. Needed a second forward type and Murphy was perfect. Medhurst into the midfield was utter stupidity. Goes to Collingwood and loses 10kg and kicks 50 goals.

Graham Polak.
Never understood what his position was. CC mismanaged him. Could’ve been a handy forward.

Adam Campbell.
Really liked him early. Good left kick. Just didn’t get consistency

Shane Yarran
Played similar to Liam Ryan. Kicked 5 goals in the 2016 WAFL Grand Final. Talented player.

****en Josh Simpson

Kid could have been anything

Someone mentioned him today in another thread but I do wonder if we could've won a flag in 2014 or 2015 with a fully fit Gumbleton.

He could seriously play but broke down every five minutes.

And maybe J Reiwoldt :straining:

Based on his first 5 games, I reckon Shane Yarran was the most talented player to debut for the dockers bar Tony Modra. I just don’t quite know where it all went wrong for him.

Based on his first 5 games, I reckon Shane Yarran was the most talented player to debut for the dockers bar Tony Modra. I just don’t quite know where it all went wrong for him.
Off field issues. Any player that has slight problems off field for Fremantle, might as well just quietly move on. Media Doesn’t give any inch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back