VFL Future direction - SANFL / AFL Reserves / PBs

The future of the Port Adelaide AFL reserves

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be Alberton, with the bowling club in the background?

It looks to me like one of those old footy card photos, so I expect that would have been done in Elizabeth.

The key here is intent…

The crows wanted to wear the state guernsey to reinforce their mantra of The Team For All South Australians

There’s a concept in Criminal Law Theory called “crime impossível” (literally “impossible crime”, but I have no idea what’s the actual name in English).

For all intents and purposes, the perpetrator committed a crime. He wanted and acted upon it. Yet, his action is not a crime. The classical example is “murdering” someone who’s already dead.

As I see it, it’s a similar case. The Crows wanted that, but they can’t achieve it. It’s impossible. Ultimately, it’s a self-mockery, because it’s a lie.

Im all for us joining the reserves comp and it really should of happened years ago.
My question now is what happens to our SANFL reserves and under 18s.
How Do We Tell Him? | Know Your Meme

There’s a concept in Criminal Law Theory called “crime impossível” (literally “impossible crime”, but I have no idea what’s the actual name in English).

For all intents and purposes, the perpetrator committed a crime. He wanted and acted upon it. Yet, his action is not a crime. The classical example is “murdering” someone who’s already dead.

As I see it, it’s a similar case. The Crows wanted that, but they can’t achieve it. It’s impossible. Ultimately, it’s a self-mockery, because it’s a lie.
In common law (simply put) it is separated into factual and legal impossibility. Under factual impossibility, a crime can be committed, eg. pick pocketing, but there being nothing in the pocket.

Legal impossibility results in no guilt (eg. stealing something that turned out to be yours).

The Crows here are guilty of a factual impossible 'crime' they are knowingly attempting to steal the state identity, including that of Port.
That it is doomed to failure is of no concern.

Last edited:
It's 2023. State football is a relic. It doesn't exist anymore.

Let the Crows pretend to be the state team. It's literally their whole branding. There's no need for us to fight that because it's a battle we're never going to win.

It's one thing Koch got right, albeit right at the start of his reign. Port needs to market itself as a national club in a national competition. The notion of being the second in line to the state team in the smallest market condemns us to an entirely pathetic existence. We need to be the ones thinking bigger, let the Crows think small.

Let the Crows pretend to be the state team. It's literally their whole branding. There's no need for us to fight that because it's a battle we're never going to win.

It's one thing Koch got right, albeit right at the start of his reign. Port needs to market itself as a national club in a national competition. The notion of being the second in line to the state team in the smallest market condemns us to an entirely pathetic existence. We need to be the ones thinking bigger, let the Crows think small.
Why would you want to anyway, our branding is our club history it was bizarre when we lost track of that reality.

You can always broaden your scope, but that's the meat & bones & people love strong history.

You and other non West Coast supporters living in WA can probably answer this question best TK.

Have they ever marketed themselves as a psuedo state team, ala the crows and their pride of SA crapola?

I have a recollection there was definitely a bit of the old WA against the Vics in their early days, but looking from afar there now appears to be some acceptance they are one of 18 teams in a national comp, and with the way team lists have to largely be built via the draft system, state boundaries often have to be of secondary importance.

You and other non West Coast supporters living in WA can probably answer this question best TK.

Have they ever marketed themselves as a psuedo state team, ala the crows and their pride of SA crapola?

I have a recollection there was definitely a bit of the old WA against the Vics in their early days, but looking from afar there now appears to be some acceptance they are one of 18 teams in a national comp, and with the way team lists have to largely be built via the draft system, state boundaries often have to be of secondary importance.

They're still big on the 'stick it to the eastern states' vibe that is a general thing in WA but they don't directly market themselves as a state team, especially not in recent times. I think the fact that they've been such a successful club on and off the field has given them a really strong brand of their own without needing to resort to that sort of crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In common law (simply put) it is separated into factual and legal impossibility. Under factual impossibility, a crime can be committed, eg. pick pocketing, but there being nothing in the pocket.

Legal impossibility results in no guilt (eg. stealing something that turned out to be yours).

The Crows here are guilty of a factual impossible 'crime' they are knowingly attempting to steal the state identity, including that of Port.
That it is doomed to failure is of no concern.
Oh! Thank you very much.

Awesome post.

Yes. In the case in question, indeed, the Crows could never achieve what they were trying to accomplish, but they were trying to do it nonetheless.

I'm letting TeeKray to represent me on this issue from now on.

Duldig just on fiveaa. Apparently port and crows are not leaving in 2025. They have a 5 year contract still or something even with 12 months notice. I thought port had already signed on to the vfl in 2025

Duldig just on fiveaa. Apparently port and crows are not leaving in 2025. They have a 5 year contract still or something even with 12 months notice. I thought port had already signed on to the vfl in 2025
Nope, but they have had discussions about it with AFL as they own Football Victoria who run VFL.

The original deal was till end of 2028 season, which is the last year both clubs pay their last instalment to the SANFL.

But if both teams want to piss off early, and give 12 months notice, the SANFL wont stop them.

Playing the Camries in the bars every year is utter bull****. Never go to Showdowns anyway.

It has absolutely zero relevance to our SANFL history, despite the club gaslighting supporters into believing the Crows represent the "other" 9 clubs.

Still if it's a multi season deal, it's a foot in the door for us to next phase apply to use it once (or twice) EVERY year, at ANY game we choose, to honour the anniversary of any one of 37 SANFL flags - every year, in perpetuity. By way of example, 2024 could celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1994 flag, and we wear the bars when we play West Coast in the AFL. Or the 70th anniversary of the 1954 flag versus West, the week that we play Essendrugs.

Playing the Camries in the bars every year is utter bull****. Never go to Showdowns anyway.

It has absolutely zero relevance to our SANFL history, despite the club gaslighting supporters into believing the Crows represent the "other" 9 clubs.

Still if it's a multi season deal, it's a foot in the door for us to next phase apply to use it once (or twice) EVERY year, at ANY game we choose, to honour the anniversary of any one of 37 SANFL flags - every year, in perpetuity. By way of example, 2024 could celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1994 flag, and we wear the bars when we play West Coast in the AFL. Or the 70th anniversary of the 1954 flag versus West, the week that we play Essendrugs.

The current administration does not care about this issue. Even Tredrea thinks the once a year showdown is a good outcome.

Yep, totally agree. FWIW, I'm quite comfortable with a couple of times a season.

Having grown up with the Magpies, that probably won't sit well with many but the bars are obviously a significant part of Port's history and must be respected and not abused.

Yep, totally agree. FWIW, I'm quite comfortable with a couple of times a season.

Having grown up with the Magpies, that probably won't sit well with many but the bars are obviously a significant part of Port's history and must be respected and not abused.
It's a fine line for me RJ, it has been glaringly obvious many of the top up blokes wearing the PB's in `league' games for way too long now wouldn't have got a game for the Maggie magoos under Fos, Jack or Russell, and I suspect more than a few would have got the DCM after only one training session.
The selection of amateurs and/or those who wouldn't be in the top 60 of other club's lists has unfortunately diminished the aura of what has been described as the best guernsey ever for many.

I suspect though that there would be a much more even playing field re the building of a list for the VFL comp and the eventual national reserve's comp, particularly when compared to the ridiculous situation where when Port actually unearth a hidden gem the sanfl clubs, specifically sturt, glenelg and nord can ( and do) rip them away with offers multiple times the maximum our club is allowed to pay them, so I would be happy to see the PB's on a regular basis in a national 2nd tier comp, which is probably the most we could hope for anyway given it's probably likely we will only see them very occasionally at the top level.

Last edited:
richo on fiveaa with kg and tugwell this morning.

Question was asked and Richo basically said the conversations are with the afl rather than the sanfl about second tier. Nothing about entering in 2025 though. Sounds like they have not said anything to sanfl about leaving next year.

It's a fine line for me RJ, it has been glaringly obvious many of the top up blokes wearing the PB's in `league' games for way too long now wouldn't have got a game for the Maggie magoos under Fos, Jack or Russell, and I suspect more than a few would have got the DCM after only one training session.
The selection of amateurs and/or those who wouldn't be in the top 60 of other club's lists has unfortunately diminished the aura of what has been described as the best guernsey ever for many.

I suspect though that there would be a much more even playing field re the building of a list for the VFL comp and the eventual national reserve's comp, particularly when compared to the ridiculous situation where when Port actually unearth a hidden gem the sanfl clubs, specifically sturt, glenelg and nord can ( and do) rip them away with offers multiple times the maximum our club is allowed to pay them, so I would be happy to see the PB's on a regular basis in a national 2nd tier comp, which is probably the most we could hope for anyway given it's probably likely we will only see them very occasionally at the top level.
Correct on all points '54.:smilev1:

The impression I got from the AGM and I mentioned it in the AGM thread, is that we will go to the VFL first for a season or two before the AFL Reserves comp starts.

I also put in that thread, that there is nothing stopping us being a black and white side in the VFL given Southport and Collingwood do. Plus there are other colour double ups.

Koc'sh initial comments about the lights, then his answer to my question and Richo saying that Adelaide Oval and Alberton Oval are the only sports venues in SA with a 1,400 Lux broadcast quality capacity, and Koch's comment about the AFL supporting us to make Alberton a boutique AFLW and AFL Reserves stadium, says to me that Foxtel / Fox Footy will be telecasting the AFL Reserves comp.

Not all games might be broadcast live, and maybe Monday night and vacant AFL Thursday night's might be used. Fox Footy are a 24/7 AFL channel, so as long as the production costs aren't exorbitant I think they will broadcast the reserves games.

Last edited:
Back