SANFL umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is going to be a big topic this week now.

Bryce Gibbs just gave a very honest answer on SEN when asked about it.

Paraphrased said

"its not a small difference" (AFL teams to non AFL teams)

"Felt like a 10-15 free kicks a week difference"

"The numbers don't lie".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone suggested on another platform that it was bad discipline. I haven’t watched any of our ressies games just by virtue of being pre-occupied by work and other footy but this was my reply:

There's a certain point where poor discipline stops being a valid excuse, there's also no way a team is that consistently poorly disciplined. Couple that with the SANFL having an agenda against Port since 1990 and it starts to look a bit fishy.

This is was on a post that said we were -82 after 9 rounds and had a negative differential in every match. Was unaware that this was an issue for the Crows too but I’d trust Bryce Gibbs out of anyone to know. I can’t imagine there’s a ladder for this type of thing but I’d love to know if we’ve had it worse or the Crows (I have a guess but I don’t want to say it without knowing for sure.)

We've had it worse.

Also 10 rounds in a row is a 1 in 1024 chance to be coincidence.

That's why Bryce's comments carry weight.

Playing for South he has no incentive to lie about it. In fact he has a disincentive.

They can brush off Tredders or Timmy G or even Rucci.

Someone suggested on another platform that it was bad discipline. I haven’t watched any of our ressies games just by virtue of being pre-occupied by work and other footy but this was my reply:

There's a certain point where poor discipline stops being a valid excuse, there's also no way a team is that consistently poorly disciplined. Couple that with the SANFL having an agenda against Port since 1990 and it starts to look a bit fishy.

This is was on a post that said we were -82 after 9 rounds and had a negative differential in every match. Was unaware that this was an issue for the Crows too but I’d trust Bryce Gibbs out of anyone to know. I can’t imagine there’s a ladder for this type of thing but I’d love to know if we’ve had it worse or the Crows (I have a guess but I don’t want to say it without knowing for sure.)
I think it's -90 after 10, and negative every match. Next worst is the Crows but they're a fair way behind.

I haven't seen a lot of the Magpies, but I don't see discipline as an issue - there could be some impact due to the inexperience of the top-up players, but most noticeable is the frees not given, or frees given one way and not the other. And let's just not mention the hit that kept Jackson out for 3 weeks that didn't even warrant a free kick let alone any tribunal action.

They don't want us in their tinpot league, and I'm pretty sure we'd rather play just about anywhere else.

It's absolutely ****ed. It was even on the weekend against Norwood and it had Norwood fans and Bigglands crying.

Im guessing the new AFL boss Andrew Dillon is behind the push for the Reserves comp, and that the umpiring against us and the Crows in the SANFL is one of the reasons why there's such a focus to get both local clubs into such a comp.

I remember seeing a chart covering the first two years of the new system circa 2015/6, the negative free kick counts were impossibly atrocious and nothing’s changed.

Do the umpires deliberately set out to shtup Port? Probably not. They’d swear black and blue that they call things fairly and they’d believe it.

But clearly there’s a level of bias in the moment when decisions are made, or ignored.

Like a Pakistani umpire and LBW in the 80’s.

I remember seeing a chart covering the first two years of the new system circa 2015/6, the negative free kick counts were impossibly atrocious and nothing’s changed.

Do the umpires deliberately set out to shtup Port? Probably not. They’d swear black and blue that they call things fairly and they’d believe it.

But clearly there’s a level of bias in the moment when decisions are made, or ignored.

Apparently when questioned the SANFL said it is because the AFL players "tackle harder"

I thought a legal tackle was just about technique, not how hard it is...

Apparently when questioned the SANFL said it is because the AFL players "tackle harder"

Jeez. If that’s truly the case then they’re effectively umpiring with a preconceived handicapping system, any application of which should be stamped out immediately if they care about the integrity of their league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im guessing the new AFL boss Andrew Dillon is behind the push for the Reserves comp, and that the umpiring against us and the Crows in the SANFL is one of the reasons why there's such a focus to get both local clubs into such a comp.

I doubt he cares directly about the bias.

Hell, if anything, if it encourages a few more tier2 type players to move into the market to get away from a poor development comp, maybe that takes a tiny bit of pressure off the lists of their “pets” GC and GWS.

But if the AFLPA took it up… represented a concern to AFL House that one group of their members were being “developmentally disadvantaged”… that would carry quite some weight.

Or it might be a lot higher level than any of that… more content, more $$&

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

It's bent and everybody knows it. About 5yrs ago at Alberton the 1/2 time free kick count was 23-2.

Our cheersquad was going nuts and one member yelled out to the umpire 30 meters away "you idiot".

I then yelled out "he's not an idiot he's a cheat" the ump then looked in our direction and smirked. True story.

Sure we need a national AFL reserves comp but it's effectively the death of the PB's.

Only wheeled out at others discretion.

So punish the 18 year old kid more over the 30 year old washed out-afl “star” because they tackle harder….

Laughable

I'm on board with the fact that, as effectively the AFL 2s, we have been subconsciously poorly dealt with by SANFL umpiring.

But there is a component of youth and inexperience vs hardenend and experienced campaigners, that weights frees to the latter.

I dont know just how big that contribution is to our free deficit.

Where and when those frees against us are applied, is just as important as measuring the size of the free deficit.

I'm on board with the fact that, as effectively the AFL 2s, we have been subconsciously poorly dealt with by SANFL umpiring.

But there is a component of youth and inexperience vs hardenend and experienced campaigners, that weights frees to the latter.

I dont know just how big that contribution is to our free deficit.

Where and when those frees against us are applied, is just as important as measuring the size of the free deficit.
Doesn't this fly in the face of the umps excuse that AFL players tackle harder though? If half the 22 are inexperienced youngsters, how are they tackling harder than 26 year Darren from Dimboola who's a plumber during the week?

Ha Ha. Javid Miandad was only given out once in a test in Pakistan, and that was by Dickie Bird after neutral umpires were bought in

Let's not forget Hugh Jackson was knocked out by a clearly high bump. He has missed 2 games now, and not only did no free get paid as Hugh laid on the ground grasping his head with the Eagles running away, but additionally the Eagles player wasn't even suspended.

Absolutely disgusting.

It's not that I think the umpires even consciously do it, but the commentators on SANFL games, the umps, everyone just seems subconsciously so against us and want the non AFL team to get up, that they just literally ignore frees to us. They just don't want to see them and they just don't pay them. We only get the real obvious ones, we can have clear HTBs missed, high tackles ignored, clear pushes ignored, and the most common one we cop which is the constant scragging of our players, then meanwhile they'll pluck some slight and soft interference out of nowhere for the opposition.

It's beyond unfair, and actually one of the main reasons I wish we were good enough to just stick it up the SANFL and win the whole damn thing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back