Roast The SANFL Development Graveyard: Where careers go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Sutcliffe is going to be out, at minimum, half the season as a result of a extremely predictable old man's injury.

Meanwhile we have a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds playing each week with relatively little senior support and guidance.

Ever since Summerton retired the 'captain' position in the SANFL has been totally misused. Basically picking over the hill has beens who are poor players and injured half the time.

Sutcliffe and Goldsack might be better development coaches than Summerton (although I doubt even that) but having a captain who actually gets on the park and contributes is more useful.

I don't know what to think of our sanfl side anymore. The only true gauge to see where our seconds are at is to play other VFL reserves sides.

Is playing lots of kids normal in the VFL too these days? Winning is a secondary consideration for AFL reserves sides.

The crows side is full of good sanfl players that will never be good AFL players. Our side is full of youth, some of which might become good AFL players one day but most won't hence we get flogged.

Were we any better as an AFL side during those years when our sanfl side was strong?

Got to wonder what the pick the favourites mentality does to the younger guys and the reserves culture. No point performing week in week out if you aren't going to get a decent chance in the seniors. But for a bloke like Hayes, how he isn't setting the Sanfl on fire is beyond me to get back into the Senior team and having a real crack, he should be demanding he is picked based on effort alone, but I cant see it.

Got to wonder what the pick the favourites mentality does to the younger guys and the reserves culture. No point performing week in week out if you aren't going to get a decent chance in the seniors. But for a bloke like Hayes, how he isn't setting the Sanfl on fire is beyond me to get back into the Senior team and having a real crack, he should be demanding he is picked based on effort alone, but I cant see it.
He has already mentally left this poorly run football club.

Tom Jonas' performance today remonstrates the significance of this thread, and that it's really hard to build any confidence through the SANFL system we have.

Williams, Jones & Mcentee didn't even build any momentum through the 2nds to have instant impact at AFL level, which leaves me to believe that the higher-ups mostly turn a blind eye to the Magpies & instead choose to do more player assessment during weekly training sessions.

Anyone who has played a bit of sport before would know that playing in a good team with good teammates makes anyone a better player and that the opposite is true. Add to that the lack of continuity in the Magpies set up with mass changes nearly every week and it's easy to see why basically everyone looks better playing AFL despite the fact that the SANFL is on face value a far inferior standard league.

Surprise, surprise, no suspension for the individual who knocked out Hugh Jackson with a high bump.

Honestly something needs to be done about that. Need to work out at what time it occurred, get a video and call this s**t out. Absolutely disgraceful the treatment our players get.

Anyone who has played a bit of sport before would know that playing in a good team with good teammates makes anyone a better player and that the opposite is true. Add to that the lack of continuity in the Magpies set up with mass changes nearly every week and it's easy to see why basically everyone looks better playing AFL despite the fact that the SANFL is on face value a far inferior standard league.
If we were a well run club, the Magpies would be a really well run aspect and be a strong avenue to play AFL and be a magnet for possible players who are close to AFL but need a bit of seasoning.

Surprise, surprise, no suspension for the individual who knocked out Hugh Jackson with a high bump.

Honestly something needs to be done about that. Need to work out at what time it occurred, get a video and call this s**t out. Absolutely disgraceful the treatment our players get.
1st Q 18:45

Unfortunately, Jackson could have possibly avoided if he'd grabbed the ball first bounce and ran away with it (like he usually does). However, Lukac didn't need to put his shoulder into his head. Uncalled for in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's the commentator hoohoohooing after the hit.
We need to get out of that tinpot league.
I used to be for staying in the SANFL, but that s**t is over now.

Time to get out, it’s just harming our club.

Last edited:
We are literally just treading water till we're out of the SANFL. There was some real push for AFL reserves a few years ago but it seems like it has dropped off the radar at HQ.

We are literally just treading water till we're out of the SANFL. There was some real push for AFL reserves a few years ago but it seems like it has dropped off the radar at HQ.
Probably because there already is one. The fact that the SA and WA teams are missing is entirely irrelevant to the league's higher ups and our club at least doesn't have the guts to stand up to the SANFL. As much as I'm pretty against the AFL sides having taken over the VFA, we seriously need to join it ASAP. The VFL caps AFL reserves sides' lists at 30 when I think we only have 21, and AFAIK there isn't any age cap in the VFL. It just seems to be a far superior option for us.

Steps past the ball to lay the bump, which hits him high and knocks him unconscious. Unbelievable that this wasn't paid a free. Actually bad that the players didn't remonstrate too. But unfathomable that a Port player would get away with a similar action. If it was a Port player he'd be suspended for life. Against Port though and nothing to see here.

Steps past the ball to lay the bump, which hits him high and knocks him unconscious. Unbelievable that this wasn't paid a free. Actually bad that the players didn't remonstrate too. But unfathomable that a Port player would get away with a similar action. If it was a Port player he'd be suspended for life. Against Port though and nothing to see here.
Corrupt bastards. Corrupt umpires. SANFL is also corrupt right back to introducing Woodville for one reason and one reason only. To dilute the strength of Port Adelaide on the back of 8 flags in the previous decade. Oh but we are the treacherous ones. 1990 1990 1990 blah blah blah.

And where is the coach or admin applying pressure or talking about it to highlight this injustice.

Jackson is a good young player taken out and all you hear is crickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back