Roast The SANFL Development Graveyard: Where careers go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our SANFL team is uncompetitive trash. Not only is it losing team with a losing culture, it also is evidently a horrible place to develop both young and mature players.

On paper I just can’t believe this team is wooden spoon worthy. There is something more going on here - and over the previous two years - that has impacted the ability of this team to perform. Dumont, Bonner, Mead, Jones, Hayes, Lycett, Clurey. These guys are seasoned AFL professionals. And week-in, week-out they are made to look like amateurs by brick-layers, accountants and marriage celebrants. They are made to look slow, soft and unskilful.

It is a ******* joke. It is a disgrace. And no one is held accountable. Goldsack, one of the chief architects of this s**t show, was promoted. Cam Sutcliffe who, must be the worst Port Adelaide captain ever, was reappointed. The show goes on and the club suffers.

Is it strategy? Is it standards and behaviours? Is it training throughout the week and off season? I don’t know - but what I do know is that this level of ineptitude is not conducive to a successful football club.

And the actual performance is not even the worst part. The development cliff is approaching and the SANFL side being what it is has dried up the pipeline of new and emerging players.

Over the past 3 years I can’t think of one young player in our team who has made serious strides and improvement playing in the SANFL team. Even enormously talented players, like Bergman, are terrible at this level when it should be the case that these guys dominate. In Bergman’s case, it wasn’t until he returned to the AFL that he actually started to get back on track.

Players who have parts of their game that they need to improve on make zero progress. Lachie Jones is still a fumbler and bumbler at the lower level. Georgiades still panics. Jackson still gets thrown around like a ragdoll.

In fact, regression is more common than development. Sam Hayes has literally regressed. Has literally got worse from like age 20 to age 23. He used to be a reliable hit out dominant, goal kicking and marking ruckman. Now he regularly gets beat up by the Sam Baulderstones of the world whilst we have no options for ruck at AFL level.

And that’s not to even mention playing guys out of position and in random positions. Why is Teakle playing fullback if you see him as your next up ruck man. Why!?

Back in 2017-2019 we had a competitive side and you could actually see players get better and build AFL skills. The Dan Houstons, Dougal Howards, Darcy Byrne Jones, Kane Farrells of the world. Nowadays I would happily delist everyone in the SANFL team. I would replace them all with Sturt players or Norwood players - other SANFL teams genuinely appear to have more AFL ready players.

The Crows SANFL team is another good example. I don’t think they have much more talent in that team then we do but like 100000x better and their players transition to AFL football much easier.

We desperately need to solve this issue. I believe it is the biggest issue facing the club at the moment. And that starts with ******* off most of the staff involved with the SANFL side and starting again.

The real first step would be to move to the VFL where they don’t actively try and stifle the AFL reserves sides. In fact they arguably go too far to the other side and the standalone sides are screwed. Last year Southport made the granny but Werribee were the next highest standalone side and still missed finals. But travel isn’t even a good excuse to stay in the SANFL. The final 4 last year had 3 QLD teams, plus Sydney in the semis. We have to join the VFL or a national reserves comp. It’s imperative to the future of our development.

The real first step would be to move to the VFL where they don’t actively try and stifle the AFL reserves sides. In fact they arguably go too far to the other side and the standalone sides are screwed. Last year Southport made the granny but Werribee were the next highest standalone side and still missed finals. But travel isn’t even a good excuse to stay in the SANFL. The final 4 last year had 3 QLD teams, plus Sydney in the semis. We have to join the VFL or a national reserves comp. It’s imperative to the future of our development.

It wouldn't matter what competition we play in, the reasons for what we are and how we're going has nothing at all to do with playing in the SANFL.

I think that should happen but I also think it is the least of our problems.

At the moment we have a full list with a bunch of AFL players in the ressies and they are still trash!

I think it's another symptom of the wider club disinterest in winning. If winning stops being important, playing well stops being important. They start to consider themselves just a reserves side, who cares? Just go through the motions.

If you don't wake up in the morning and piss excellence at every level of your club, you'll never be successful. Under Koch, this is Port Adelaide. Being good isn't important.

How proud is the community though!

I think it's another symptom of the wider club disinterest in winning. If winning stops being important, playing well stops being important. They start to consider themselves just a reserves side, who cares? Just go through the motions.

If you don't wake up in the morning and piss excellence at every level of your club, you'll never be successful. Under Koch, this is Port Adelaide. Being good isn't important.

How proud is the community though!

Something broke amidst that 5 year black hole circa 2015-19.

From ‘beware the sleeping giant’ and sparing absolutely no expense off-field, to ‘ehh it’s not the SANFL anymore’ and ‘we’re a widdle club’ and wall-to-wall promotions from within and jobs for the boys.

The pinnacle now seems to be celebrating pedestrian minor round wins like we’ve won the Sydney Olympic bid and everyone generally enjoying themselves and each other’s company in perpetuity.

If it is worst case for MG, we need to use that list spot on the best non AFL listed midfielder in the country. What sort of development can we expect from the SANFL when they are getting smashed ever single week and they are totally uncompetitive.

My memory of Lobbe is that he talked good, and always rucked hitting the ball forward to his feet.

He wasn't too bad till his legs were taken out from under him and he fell on his back.

I just cannot see him being innovative nor playing aggressively and with flare.

Pure vanilla when we want chilli.

Nice guy, very, but not who we want as Head of Development.

My memory of Lobbe is that he talked good, and always rucked hitting the ball forward to his feet.

He wasn't too bad till his legs were taken out from under him and he fell on his back.

I just cannot see him being innovative nor playing aggressively and with flare.

Pure vanilla when we want chilli.

Nice guy, very, but not who we want as Head of Development.
The rock lobster's AFL career never recovered from the absolute ruck tutorial a very young Max Gawn gave him in a preseason game between Port and the Dees at the Ponderosa some 12 years or more ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kochie & Richo have always been making empty threats to leave the SANFL and join a different reserves competition, but we all know they don't got the balls for it.

It was only 4 years ago that we played in the SANFL grand final, along with 3 in total during the 2010s.

Maybe something to do with the post - covid return to the league but it's definitely a worry. I can't think of the last time a premiership side in the AFL had a complete s**t house reserves team.

Remember when the likes of Moore, Newton, Young, OShea, Stewart, Logan, AhChee would almost all seemingly get 30 & 3 each week.

Now its exciting when one of our sanfl mids reaches double figures

I remember when Aidyn Johnson used to kick three goals every week and we were praying that he didn't get selected.

Now the MacnCheese gets three disposals and we hope he doesn't get selected.

Halcyon days.

• does the SANFL set up allow players like Kyle Marshall, Tom Scully etc to develop properly? Do we need a reserves or amateurs set up?
  • does the SANFL allow us to develop key position players? Lord and Hayes looked unfit at the next level
  • does the SANFL set up give us a good level of standard for the players to learn, develop and maintain fitness and form in so the next level isn’t a huge step up?
  • does it draw money, players and fans in?
  • are our top up players any good?
  • can a player like Mitch legitimately go back to the SANFL and expect to gain form, confidence and skill development
  • does our set up allow us to develop coaches and administrators?
  • are we providing the optimal conditions for our sanfl set to thrive?

The club acknowledged they would be happy with a SANFL flag in their 3 flags by 2025 or whatever it was. Yet there has seemingly, been no investment to support this. Davies even suggested the SANFL results for this year would be poor in a recent interview. Yet we also expected to be pushing for AFL finals. AFL finals sides usually have reserves playing finals also - it suggests a healthy list, competition for spots and 30-35 players that are AFL capable. So why the disconnect?

This is a fantastic post and something that often gets left out. For the leadership of the club to allow the Maggies to become what it has, is a disgrace let alone the fact that it's supposed to be a development space for our future AFL players. Once again, it won't be mentioned in the local media.

None of them give a s**t about playing for the Magpies.

There was a passage of play in the second half where Bonner read the play well enough to sprint from 20 metres away and intercept a Sturt pass, gather the loose ball under pressure, and then hit up a Port player in the pocket for a shot on goal. Nobody slapped him on the back, nobody even said well done. It was just bizarre.

How are Crows 2s going in SANFL, and does it reflect in the performance of their AFL team?
How are our 2s going in SANFL, and does it reflect in the performance of our AFL team?

Our SANFL team is uncompetitive trash. Not only is it losing team with a losing culture, it also is evidently a horrible place to develop both young and mature players.

On paper I just can’t believe this team is wooden spoon worthy. There is something more going on here - and over the previous two years - that has impacted the ability of this team to perform. Dumont, Bonner, Mead, Jones, Hayes, Lycett, Clurey. These guys are seasoned AFL professionals. And week-in, week-out they are made to look like amateurs by brick-layers, accountants and marriage celebrants. They are made to look slow, soft and unskilful.

It is a ******* joke. It is a disgrace. And no one is held accountable. Goldsack, one of the chief architects of this s**t show, was promoted. Cam Sutcliffe who, must be the worst Port Adelaide captain ever, was reappointed. The show goes on and the club suffers.

Is it strategy? Is it standards and behaviours? Is it training throughout the week and off season? I don’t know - but what I do know is that this level of ineptitude is not conducive to a successful football club.

And the actual performance is not even the worst part. The development cliff is approaching and the SANFL side being what it is has dried up the pipeline of new and emerging players.

Over the past 3 years I can’t think of one young player in our team who has made serious strides and improvement playing in the SANFL team. Even enormously talented players, like Bergman, are terrible at this level when it should be the case that these guys dominate. In Bergman’s case, it wasn’t until he returned to the AFL that he actually started to get back on track.

Players who have parts of their game that they need to improve on make zero progress. Lachie Jones is still a fumbler and bumbler at the lower level. Georgiades still panics. Jackson still gets thrown around like a ragdoll.

In fact, regression is more common than development. Sam Hayes has literally regressed. Has literally got worse from like age 20 to age 23. He used to be a reliable hit out dominant, goal kicking and marking ruckman. Now he regularly gets beat up by the Sam Baulderstones of the world whilst we have no options for ruck at AFL level.

And that’s not to even mention playing guys out of position and in random positions. Why is Teakle playing fullback if you see him as your next up ruck man. Why!?

Back in 2017-2019 we had a competitive side and you could actually see players get better and build AFL skills. The Dan Houstons, Dougal Howards, Darcy Byrne Jones, Kane Farrells of the world. Nowadays I would happily delist everyone in the SANFL team. I would replace them all with Sturt players or Norwood players - other SANFL teams genuinely appear to have more AFL ready players.

The Crows SANFL team is another good example. I don’t think they have much more talent in that team then we do but like 100000x better and their players transition to AFL football much easier.

We desperately need to solve this issue. I believe it is the biggest issue facing the club at the moment. And that starts with ******* off most of the staff involved with the SANFL side and starting again.
Could you print this out and hand deliver this to chaiman koch please.

If you dont play to win at all costs, you drift and malaise sets in.

2019 make a GF
2020 covid no AFL sides in the Sanfl
2021 covid interuptions continue
2022 lots of injuries and biggest loss ever in our Sanfl A grade history.
2023 Almost at full strength few injuries to the best 22, and we struggle.

Covid sets in and we seem to have taken a who gives a stuff attitude to winning in the Sanfl, its all too hard and things are too stacked against us anyway attitude.

Appointing Matthew Lobbe and Hamish Hartlett as development coaches is like appointing Taylor Walker as indigenous liaison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back