News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm wondering if Miles plan all along has just been to sneak some $$$ Suncorp way. The outlandish QSAC idea was never going to take off, and he probably knew he was out come October, so thought "what can I get done for the boys and give myself some leverage beyond this Premier stuff"

Smoke and mirrors, get everyone focused on QSAC vs Vic Park and no-one notices the pennies being green lighted to the boys at NRL
No doubt there something in that.

As a non-Queenslander I've no problem with a bit of a facelift for Suncorp stadium if it's used as an Olympic venue - assuming it is required.

The part that shits me about this whole mess is the lack of vision for a few votes, which by accounts won't save the government anyway. I don't know Brisbane (other than to realise what I nightmare it was to drive through to get from Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast). But when I look at a map nothing makes more sense to me than creating something new and potentially amazing right where transport is already being built. Create some awesome pedestrian boulevard amongst parklands to the new Exhibition station and to the most appropriate Brisbane metro stations, or add special new Metro stops for events.
Having a little distance between the stadium and transport isn't necessarily a bad thing. From the regular Melbourne experience, getting out of the MCG after a game is relatively easy. Getting out of Marvel Stadium is a crush because there's no natural thinning of the crowd getting to the transport.
For the Olympics it provides an amazing space for people coming in the congregate and easily move around, temporary "Olympics expo" stuff to be setup. Post Olympics these spaces can be turned over to other uses but use the MCG precinct as an example - everyday people are running, cycling or picnicking in the parks around the stadium.
Sure it's disappointing for a few NYMBY's, and the local golfers, but why should such a prime site be reserved for the use of so few?

The Queensland state election is due on or before Saturday the 26/10/2024.
So, it looks like we will have to wait about 3 months after that date to get full clarity if the LNP win the election.

I am at the stage where i am not that invested in whether they have athletics at QSAC or even Carrara.
It would not be the first time both sides of government agreed to waste money on the same ideas to get elected.

The Lions will play at The Gabba which is what the Clubs main concern was.
The club would obviously prefer a brand-new stadium being built while still playing at the Gabba.
But you can't get all your wishes granted.

What the future Queensland Government may be able to do is renovate one particular Gabba grandstand.
Bring the seating capacity back up to 42 or even 43/44K.
They only have to design something to get an extra 4/5/6 K seats.
Three proper tiers grandstand with very little or no corporate rooms.
Forget about the roof line matching the rest of the ground.
I love the 2 big screens, but can we do with just one to make up other seating numbers.
The Verandah area could be altered to increase capacity.
The huge advertising board occupying premium wing space is not needed over increasing membership and attendance numbers.
It was installed to generate income when game attendance crowds, membership and on field success was very bad.

Because T20 cricket is to be included in 2032 they can go 50/50 with the Commonwealth on that project.
They may very well be able to get other maintenance monies mentioned in the report on a 50/50 basis too.

So, it looks like we will have to wait about 3 months after that date to get full clarity if the LNP win the election.

I am at the stage where i am not that invested in whether they have athletics at QSAC or even Carrara.
It would not be the first time both sides of government agreed to waste money on the same ideas to get elected.

The club would obviously prefer a brand-new stadium being built while still playing at the Gabba.

What the future Queensland Government may be able to do is renovate one particular Gabba grandstand.
I love the 2 big screens, but can we do with just one to make up other seating numbers.
The huge advertising board occupying premium wing space is not needed over increasing membership and attendance numbers.
It was installed to generate income when game attendance crowds, membership and on field success was very bad.

Because T20 cricket is to be included in 2032 they can go 50/50 with the Commonwealth on that project.
They may very well be able to get other maintenance monies mentioned in the report on a 50/50 basis too.
You can guarantee that if they were to rebuild a grandstand at the Gabba there will be plenty of space for corporates in the new stand. It’s like business class on a plane - $ per seat are way more than your average economy seat, even if the overall number of seats is less.

The Roar Deal today had a Political reporter on and he told Dom and Fish that he thinks the whole Gabba/Olympic kerfuffle now goes very quiet until just before the election. :rolleyes:

The Roar Deal today had a Political reporter on and he told Dom and Fish that he thinks the whole Gabba/Olympic kerfuffle now goes very quiet until just before the election. :rolleyes:

There’s zero chance the government does a 180 and changes tac now before the election. So just gotta wait to see what happens at the election and go from there.

You can guarantee that if they were to rebuild a grandstand at the Gabba there will be plenty of space for corporates in the new stand. It’s like business class on a plane - $ per seat are way more than your average economy seat, even if the overall number of seats is less.
Happy for corporates if they can still get to that 42/43/44k number.
Corporates are just like membership and crowd numbers.
Easier to attract when successful not so much when your team is crap.

I don’t agree with that….1.5b or so to keep the ground limping along for 10 years PLUS the cost of a new grandstand just for 4-6k seats?

Sure seems a lot of wasted money. Especially when a new world class 55k stadium will cost similar.

As far as I can tell the only area a bigger grandstand could be built on existing site is the east - if they roll the school & that’s all the controversy back again…Not to mention a new stand there would stare direct into the sun.

Anyway at this rate we’ll get nothing until we get a decent Govt - and how do we get that when all candidates are so dazed & corrupt?!
Lions will have some tough decisions to make going forward & it will be 20 years before we get the test opener back if ever…very sad outcome for Bris.

I don’t agree with that….1.5b or so to keep the ground limping along for 10 years PLUS the cost of a new grandstand just for 4-6k seats?

Sure seems a lot of wasted money. Especially when a new world class 55k stadium will cost similar.

As far as I can tell the only area a bigger grandstand could be built on existing site is the east - if they roll the school & that’s all the controversy back again…Not to mention a new stand there would stare direct into the sun.

Anyway at this rate we’ll get nothing until we get a decent Govt - and how do we get that when all candidates are so dazed & corrupt?!
Lions will have some tough decisions to make going forward & it will be 20 years before we get the test opener back if ever…very sad outcome for Bris.
I was not saying it is ideal but at present we are stuck with The Gabba location and ground.
I did not mention $1.5 billion?
The latest report states they will have to spend $500 million on maintenance till 2032 anyhow.
This is what they are satisfied in spending for some reason or another that most normal people would consider stupid.

I am just saying use T20 Olympic cricket to get a 50/50 split on a new grandstand. That will go under upgraded venues.
I have no idea which grandstand would be the best to use.

T20 is a new sport since all this started and i think more funding will be forthcoming from both state and commonwealth.

A sensible article but we are not in sensible times i am afraid.
There are many things the Commonwealth and State could have done much better with the 2 big ticket items.
Brisbane Arena was a disaster waiting to happen at the old site.
Now let's wait and see what issues arise at the new proposed site.
They want to remove the 112-bay car park for the inner cities best parkland.
If the car bay numbers are retained somewhere exclusively for the parkland than that will be fine.
Also needed for the project is the large maintenance area for that same parkland.
Not sure where they grow the seedlings for the parkland but most likely in the maintenance area.
it would take a fair bit of machinery and equipment to maintain that big parkland where is all that gear going to move to.

They only had two big ticket items and Brisbane only needed one sports stadium.

it was messed up at the beginning and looks like not getting anywhere concrete until the end of 2024.
I expect the heat to turn onto the Commonwealth government in the future.
That's assuming they have resigned a new agreement committing $2.5 billion maximum to the Brisbane Arena

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket Australia reminding State Govt that they could reap what they sow in the future:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03...ll-ahead-of-gabba-cricket-australia/103639834
A new, albeit controversial, stadium is planned in Hobart as Tasmania prepares to enter the AFL in 2028.

CA could be tempted to bump Brisbane off the Test summer schedule if a state-of-the-art stadium is built in the Tasmanian capital.

"The reality is the other major metros, now Tasmania with the prospect of a new stadium there, are well ahead in terms of the fan experience, the provision for players, just the ease of operation.”

CA already threatening to take the 5th test off Brisbane and give it to Hobart 👏👏👏 If this drags on longer I think they’d more clearly say that the 2029 ashes test would go to Hobart and Brisbane would just miss out

Listening to Miles in that clip i am thinking my comment above is relevant.
Miles said.
"Continue to invest there (Gabba)"
"New plan to do more incremental upgrades."

After the election the ALP can announce some major improvement to The Gabba.
Maybe it will be done in stages.
Spin it anyway they want.
T20 cricket now included.
Extra funds now available Federally because of T20 cricket but we planned incremental upgrades anyhow.
50% of the $500-600 million maintenance monies mentioned, can now be moved to new improvements.
The new improvements aim is to increase seating capacity up to 43/44k in time for the Olympics.

Should the LNP succeed at the election we don't really know what they will do until a review is completed.

I think we are now way past hoping for either government to change their mind and build a new stadium elsewhere.

From what i have picked up from the 2 IOC's big wigs this past week is, they are not going to enforce stuff they have put in writing on the Olympic agreement.
Things like up-to-date building code & % seating for disabled people at all venues.
They will only be required in the new builds and new permanent structures.
Any new structural changes will be subject to Australian building codes which most likely includes IOC disabled standards.

I was not saying it is ideal but at present we are stuck with The Gabba location and ground.
I did not mention $1.5 billion?
The latest report states they will have to spend $500 million on maintenance till 2032 anyhow.
This is what they are satisfied in spending for some reason or another that most normal people would consider stupid.

I am just saying use T20 Olympic cricket to get a 50/50 split on a new grandstand. That will go under upgraded venues.
I have no idea which grandstand would be the best to use.

T20 is a new sport since all this started and i think more funding will be forthcoming from both state and commonwealth.
Yeah it’s not ideal & I think brisbane residents - as well as the lions & CA - deserve better like all the other big cities. Especially when it’s subsidised and becomes an Olympic venue too!

The 1.5b I mentioned was the 500m in Reno’s + 1b that was mentioned to make it compliant after 2030….although who knows what those costs would be eventually.

Alas I think you’re right we’ll only receive “upgrades” which means we’ll keep getting locked out of games - sold out again for tomorrow night….2nd sellout of the year already. All that missed attendance, lost support, lost economic activity….such a wasted opportunity if this is what we’re stuck with for the foreseeable future due to dimwit politicians.

If everyone just takes a hammer and chisel to the game we can cause catastrophic structural instability and force their hand to rebuild.
Everybody carries a camera in their hand these days so if you see something take a photo and post it online.
The more the merrier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back