News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

A new stadium and arena was always mentioned as needed but that was all, and people just ignored that because they heard the games would use existing infrastructure (for everything else).
Part of the issue is that the case for a Gabba upgrade was not well-made publicly.

I go to the Gabba for the footy and the cricket, and, well, as a spectator, it's fine. The ingress and exit could be easier, and the bus station is a shitfight, but otherwise it's fine. The catering is on par with the Docklands, the view is on par, seats are easy to find, everything's pretty well laid out.

Hence, from a spectator point of view, the argument that it's so far out of date it needs to be completely knocked down doesn't seem right - and the capacity increase from what was discussed as 43k (it's actually 38k) to 50k didn't seem like great value.

The case needed to be more strongly made that the Gabba has inherent flaws, and even just for the optics, the capacity really needs to go to 60k.

Well, the small target approach on the stadium didn't work for Labor last night in the Tasmanian election so lets see what the LNP learns here.

The huge expenditure on the games is inevitable. People want to know how you plan to maximise the value and benefit not have another f*******g review.

Well, the small target approach on the stadium didn't work for Labor last night in the Tasmanian election so lets see what the LNP learns here.

The huge expenditure on the games is inevitable. People want to know how you plan to maximise the value and benefit not have another f*******g review.
Yes, 2 bloody reviews have been done and both said the Gabba is a basket case and will be in need of replacement in the next decade or so, hopefully those in power eventually see sense.

However it looks like we might not know what is going to happen until after the 100 day review :rolleyes: that the LNP has promised following the October state election...which means early 2025, time is running out to make a f....g decision.

Yes, 2 bloody reviews have been done and both said the Gabba is a basket case and will be in need of replacement in the next decade or so, hopefully those in power eventually see sense.

However it looks like we might not know what is going to happen until after the 100 day review :rolleyes: that the LNP has promised following the October state election...which means early 2025, time is running out to make a f....g decision.

Original plan was to knock it down post Ashes in 25-26 so yeah they are definitely cutting it short if they want to stick with that plan (though Vic Park seems the more likely option).

The 100 day review/time limit to fix the games is just for show. Let us be real, to the less engaged voter on this issue it gives the impression of responsibility compared to if they just quoted the previous review we just had since they would have forgotten that come election time.

Guessing those extra 40 days of review (the 100 over the 60 one) will cost 66% more and be 66% less work (they can pretty much plagarise from the first two) in order to come out with the definitive ... the second definitive ... the third times a charm and totally definative, independent (aka non-govt body speaking the govt words pre-arranged in advance) judgement on the best way to do the Olympics in 2032 whenever it is being held (since they don't seem to be worried about time)

Sadly a truly independent review would represent a failure in 'modern' government (aka what all bureaucracies look like during the late stages of a civilisational cycle).

Excuse my ignorance, but if the plan is to host athletics at QSAC and the ceremonies at Suncorp, what will the Gabba be hosting? Naturally I'd suggest cricket but not sure if I'm missing something

Lang Park was to hold Soccer and rugby 7's.

To keep those two, they will have to put some sort of ground protection down for the opening ceremony.
Rugby 7's probably okay with how the ground copes being covered and for how long its covered.
Not so sure about soccer.

I noticed when you look up 2032 Olympic venues for The Gabba and Lang Park both venues sports use is now "To be determined"
QSAC also added of course but also "To be determined"
BHA still down for Modern Pentathlon. So, Lions may get something new from that.

Someone trying to push Zillmere house/land prices up.
I lived in Zillmere for a long time, and it looks the same now as it did 60 years ago, bar units going up on the southern side.
The proposed new Albion venue canned in favor of Zillmere or Boondall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Park has won the Courier Mail’s week long stadium poll with 69% of people voting for it. 20,000 respondents.

18% voted for the Gabba

13% voted for QSAC 😳

View attachment 1938651

Hardly surprising when the Courier Mail has been heavily pro-VP and anti-Miles. What's more interesting is that the most upvoted comments on the original article were people saying their preferred option wasn't in the poll at all - cancelling the games altogether.

Unfortunately even if this board met having Grace Grace on it does not fill me with confidence that a non-biased decisions would be made due to her being the MP for Victoria Park

Not for long. It will either be a Greens or LNP in the next election.

Typical politician.
Comes across as saving Queenslanders $3.5 Billion
And insinuates that the $ 3.5 billion goes into cost of living without saying that it will go there.
But does not mention the $3 billion being spent at other venues.
Unfortunately, the public are so gullible i can see why he went down that path.

Last edited:
Typical politician.
Comes across as saving Queenslanders $3.5 Billion
And insinuates that the $ 3.5 billion goes into cost of living without saying that it will go there.
But does not mention the $3 billion being spent at other venues.
Unfortunately, the public are so gullible i can see why he went down that path.

there's a video of him from 2 weeks before on tik Tok in a Lions shirt, makes me sick

Attachments

• 434267816_2465709500279512_296602670128109459_n.jpg
    434267816_2465709500279512_296602670128109459_n.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 23
It comes across about as good as Scomo trying to make a curry.

(Ps add butter to everything and ignore your doctor's cry's about cholesterol)

I just don’t feel sandwiches require butter. Nothing to do with health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back