News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I take it you've never buttered the outside of your sandwich before putting it in a sandwich press? Gives it this delightful crispiness.
I've started putting grated cheese on the top for extra cheesy flavour.

Reading between the lines it seems like a QSAC redevelopment is a non-starter but I am still not hopeful on Victoria Park.

I agree re QSAC. Public sentiment has changed and I suspect the IOC may have told the government they won’t sign off on a political election based decision which is completely at odds with their brand of legacy for the host and sustainability.

I still think Vic Park is the easiest narrative to sell. You just need another review corroborating the Quirk report and to actually sell the vision for what you’re doing.

They’ve got all this funding, they need to do something that makes sense and gives Brisbane a legacy item post-2032.

I agree re QSAC. Public sentiment has changed and I suspect the IOC may have told the government they won’t sign off on a political election based decision which is completely at odds with their brand of legacy for the host and sustainability.

I still think Vic Park is the easiest narrative to sell. You just need another review corroborating the Quirk report and to actually sell the vision for what you’re doing.

They’ve got all this funding, they need to do something that makes sense and gives Brisbane a legacy item post-2032.
They do have deniability either way from here that is true, they are constantly referring to the IOC 'new normal' of no new builds but also have the report recommending one...I would still not be surprised if we end up with a GABBA rebuild after all this :eek:

They do have deniability either way from here that is true, they are constantly referring to the IOC 'new normal' of no new builds but also have the report recommending one...I would still not be surprised if we end up with a GABBA rebuild after all this :eek:

Yeah who knows. The Gabba rebuild has so much toxic baggage now though whereas Vic Park seems much closer to neutral.

Yep - and the lesson is for tools like Coates is to mind his own business.

At the end of the day these events have always been about legacy and opportunity. I think people are starting to understand that we will end up with nothing to show for the billions spent and so now are considering what the alternative to that is.

From brisbane times https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...tem-to-end-bracket-creep-20240325-p5fewa.html

What happens when the Gabba reaches the end of its ‘useful life’?
ByMarissa Calligeros
Back to the issue of the Gabba …

Premier Steven Miles told ABC Radio Brisbane this morning that he anticipates spending about $500-$600 million on the Gabba and a similar amount on Suncorp Stadium to make them fit for the 2032 Olympics.

But the Gabba is forecast to reach the end of its “useful life” by 2030.

On the prospect of having to tear down the Gabba, as was raised by the Graham Quirk review of Olympic venues, Miles said: “I’m not sure that does have to be the case.

“There’s lots of old buildings around and we can invest in them and continue to make them useable ...

“It has a theoretical end of life, but so do old buildings and we keep those buildings going.”

Miles was asked whether the government intends to keep refurbishing the Gabba “ad infinitum”.

“We’ll talk about those things then,” Miles said.

Attachments

• 1711343991946.png
    1711343991946.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
For the life of me I cannot fathom how the narrative on this can't be turned around by merging the Stadium, Brisbane Live and Athletes village together - maybe not 100% the Brisbane Bold project but close.

The savings on planning, logistics, co-ordination and compliance alone would be mind boggling.

Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books, they would have to get a bloody move on re where we would play our home games during the demolition and rebuild though.

Going back to the Gabba plan would a 100/1 shot IMO.

Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books, they would have to get a bloody move on re where we would play our home games during the demolition and rebuild though.

Going back to the Gabba plan would a 100/1 shot IMO.
Would anything really surprise you from here though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never butter bread for sandwiches, he’s lost my vote.
There’s no place on this forum for views such as these.

From brisbane times https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...tem-to-end-bracket-creep-20240325-p5fewa.html

ByMarissa Calligeros

Premier Steven Miles told ABC Radio Brisbane this morning that he anticipates spending about $500-$600 million on the Gabba and a similar amount on Suncorp Stadium to make them fit for the 2032 Olympics.

On the prospect of having to tear down the Gabba, as was raised by the Graham Quirk review of Olympic venues, Miles said: “I’m not sure that does have to be the case.

“There’s lots of old buildings around and we can invest in them and continue to make them useable ...

“It has a theoretical end of life, but so do old buildings and we keep those buildings going.”

Miles was asked whether the government intends to keep refurbishing the Gabba “ad infinitum”.

What is laughable is that with all that spend - the 500m or 600m - plus quirk indicates more like 1b for compliance - is that it’s capacity won’t increase!

And it is already too small!

They never ask the right questions do they….what does he say when he’s asked about the Lions members not even fitting in the ground??? And all the sell outs & the ridiculous ticket prices?

ByMarissa Calligeros

Those other old buildings don’t get 33,000 people in them all at once Mr Miles…

He must know this plan is done for with him delaying construction on it.

They know they won’t be getting the poll boost they thought they would from choosing QSAC.

I really hope Labor is coming up with an exit strategy from this plan and don’t just let it limp along till the election and waste another year of our time.

My toastie today was topped with the leftover chicken skin from the weekend roast on top. Best thing I've ever eaten.
Big call Brad, best thing I have ever eaten would be a meat platter from San Telmo in Melbourne.:p Go there every time I go to Melbourne for a footy weekend, already booked in for round 11 this season.

Silver medal would be fresh prawns on freshly baked white bread with a lot of butter, haven't had that for years.

Big call Brad, best thing I have ever eaten would be a meat platter from San Telmo in Melbourne.:p Go there every time I go to Melbourne for a footy weekend, already booked in for round 11 this season.

Silver medal would be fresh prawns on freshly baked white bread with a lot of butter, haven't had that for years.
Ooh round 11 me too

Ooh round 11 me too
We are going to the Suns game on the Saturday as well followed by an early dinner at San Telmo then Wicked the Musical Saturday night, taking the Granddaughter down, not a big footy fan but she's very keen for the Theatre so willing to put up with a couple of footy games.

Those other old buildings don’t get 33,000 people in them all at once Mr Miles…

He must know this plan is done for with him delaying construction on it.

They know they won’t be getting the poll boost they thought they would from choosing QSAC.

I really hope Labor is coming up with an exit strategy from this plan and don’t just let it limp along till the election and waste another year of our time.

The exit strategy isn't for stadium decision, it's about long term political strategy.

Saying no to stadiums so they can be the common man and not indulge the sports minority in the hope it means they only sit in the cross benches for one cycle

But instead their plan to flush money down the QSAC drain, show no leadership, achieve nothing means when they lose the party will have extended internal bickering and finger pointing and likely longer out of power.

Incredibly train wreck own goal.

I'm wondering if Miles plan all along has just been to sneak some $$$ Suncorp way. The outlandish QSAC idea was never going to take off, and he probably knew he was out come October, so thought "what can I get done for the boys and give myself some leverage beyond this Premier stuff"

Smoke and mirrors, get everyone focused on QSAC vs Vic Park and no-one notices the pennies being green lighted to the boys at NRL

Yes, there was some exaggeration on claiming a toastie was the best thing I've ever eaten. :sweatsmile: Fresh prawns straight off the boat in Port Douglas are way up there, fresh shucked Tassie oyster come to mind.

...but the toastie probably is the best thing I've ever eaten for lunch on Monday 25th March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back