News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

So don't misunderstand me... I'm not diminishing the rising cost of living or the housing situation - it's out of control - hence why this should be an easy sell. What I do have a problem with is the overuse and eventual dumbing down of the word crisis.
All I can say is that for the number of times it's described as a crisis, I sure wish it was treated like one.

We could force a challenge to the supermarket duopoly, give more power to collective bargaining, or eliminate unpaid overtime... but noooooo. We're happy to describe it as a crisis, but we don't act like it is one.

That's fair. I just worry that moving a school into another district altogether isn't a great idea. It just puzzles me why the government didn't seek to buy out a nearby commercial or industrial area to move it to. The community might have been able to live with that.
The only reason I can think of is that the relevant industrial lots (the ones off Deshon St) are about equidistant to Coorparoo, and more to the point, aren't sat on an easy train line or busway. Then there's the difficulty of mixing trucks and kids.

Just a comparison of the walking distances travel times from a possible Vic Park Stadium, to the two bus stations on the Northern Busway and the four nearest train stations. This is based on google maps and existing pedestrian facilities.

View attachment 1935990
If it's not within 10 minutes of a train, IMO they aren't being serious.

I haven't checked, but someone mentioned that the same was said about the Comm Games on GC, and those are now extremely expensive apartments to rent, not the touted affordable housing it was supposed to be
Unfortunately market forces will always dictate pricing... and once covid hit everything went up as nothing was built... no one can really be blamed for those units no longer being cheap - nothing is now cheap.

You would hope though in 8 years time that we have gone some way to catching up.

Either way, more apartments hitting the market will help satiate demand. Putting them where that demand is is just as important.

Is he actually doing anything for housing, hospitals and cost of living now that he wouldn’t have with a stadium? I know I’m flogging the horse but he’s just so full of manure it’s not funny

Is he actually doing anything for housing, hospitals and cost of living now that he wouldn’t have with a stadium? I know I’m flogging the horse but he’s just so full of manure it’s not funny
It’s literally infuriating seeing this campaign by Labor to politicise the stadium issue this much with just outright lies. Mark Gottleib summed it up nicely.

IMG_9029.jpeg

It’s nice to see so many journo’s outright ridicule this whole charade.

Is the Qld budget in surplus?

Queensland has delivered a record surplus of $13.93 billion for 2022-23, underpinned by the strong performance of the labour market and the exceptionally high prices received by coal producers in Queensland.

LOL! Steven Miles is the ultimate political spin charlatan, they actually had the money to "put housing, hospitals and cost of living relief first". Now they spin this tripe that the only way to fix the problems is to bugger any lasting sporting legacy except for brown nosing to his Rugby League cronies with a Billion dollar spend on Lang Park.

Jarrod Bleijie had a swipe at Miles in that Twitter/X exchange so I took aim at him too.

Ultimately the LNP is where equal focus needs to be put because it's pretty clear they will be the ones delivering this infrastructure.

Pressure Miles ad nauseum but don't forget the spineless opposition.

Liveris with an interesting quote this morning..

----

The 2032 Games’ boss said there was still due diligence to be carried out on the state government’s controversial call to base major events at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre (QSAC).

“I’m not going to say yes or no to (building a new stadium at) Victoria Park,” he said.

“I’ve seen the comments of the Lord Mayor – I’m actually very pleased that people are thinking about the legacy of Queensland, for what will be AFL and cricket.

“But honestly, AFL and cricket need to speak up, it’s not the Olympics’ job.

“We will receive what the state says is an important legacy and then we’ll work with that.”

Liveris with an interesting quote this morning..

----

The 2032 Games’ boss said there was still due diligence to be carried out on the state government’s controversial call to base major events at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre (QSAC).

“I’m not going to say yes or no to (building a new stadium at) Victoria Park,” he said.

“I’ve seen the comments of the Lord Mayor – I’m actually very pleased that people are thinking about the legacy of Queensland, for what will be AFL and cricket.

“We will receive what the state says is an important legacy and then we’ll work with that.”
Lol , but it's your job to upgrade suncorp ffs. What a c..t
Having a s**t morning chasing bills instead of doing some work, why can't people pay their bills without being chased.
So bit over this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a future projection he is reducing the amount of money that could be spent on housing, education, health and crime because post-2032 we will have to build a new stadium to replace the Gabba which won’t be funded by the IOC.

Honestly think this is a political ploy. Both Labor and Liberal say they won't build stadium for election purposes then once elected they will magically find the money to build a stadium surely deep down both governments know new stadium makes most sense.

Andrew Liveris putting this out there gives me hope all is not lost re Victoria Park.

A background look at what went haywire over the years.
......................................................................................

The government’s unilateral decision to rebuild the Gabba stadium – an oval ground used for cricket and Australian rules football – for the opening ceremony opened a political wound that has festered since.

Ted O’Brien, the former Morrison government special envoy for the Olympics, says that announcement “nearly killed” the city’s bid for the games when it “blindsided” everyone.

“It flew in the face of everything we were pitching to the IOC about avoiding a big spend on venues and it also broke faith with the people of Queensland who had been assured the 2032 Games would not become a spendathon with taxpayer money,” he says.

......................................................................................

The government’s unilateral decision to rebuild the Gabba stadium – an oval ground used for cricket and Australian rules football – for the opening ceremony opened a political wound that has festered since.

Ted O’Brien, the former Morrison government special envoy for the Olympics, says that announcement “nearly killed” the city’s bid for the games when it “blindsided” everyone.

“It flew in the face of everything we were pitching to the IOC about avoiding a big spend on venues and it also broke faith with the people of Queensland who had been assured the 2032 Games would not become a spendathon with taxpayer money,” he says.
They didn’t once mention the $1.6B for QSAC in that article or that they will end up spending more than $3.4 Billion, and instead presented it as the low cost option. The Guardian needs to do better on this.

I find anything from that era to be inherently unreliable given the amount of bullshit and one-sided blame everyone else but themselves attitude at the time and even now (having watched Nemesis).

But that’s not true ultimately. A new stadium and arena was always mentioned as needed but that was all, and people just ignored that because they heard the games would use existing infrastructure (for everything else).

It was a surprise for people who didn’t pay much attention.

But that’s not true ultimately. A new stadium and arena was always mentioned as needed but that was all, and people just ignored that because they heard the games would use existing infrastructure (for everything else).

It was a surprise for people who didn’t pay much attention.
Yeah everyone uses the line that our bid was based on us using 85% of exisiting infrastructure, but people don’t realise that the 15% we didn’t have was the stadium and arena!! Those two along with the whitewater facility were the 15% of venues that were going to be new.

The problem is that the 15% of new venues, include the two most expensive to build. Really we should have said 50% of the normal expenditure for an Olympics is not needed since those are existing, but the other 50% of funding is going towards that 15%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back