Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Port when in form are probably the quickest play on overlap run side in the competition IMO, can not afford Lyons in from the start. Plus please do not consider Jack Gunston Fages.

Out- Jarryd Lyons.

In- Lincoln McCarthy.

Sub from- Lohmann, Lyons, Prior, Sharp.

McCarthy for Lohmann with Lyons as the sub works for me.

If we play Melbourne, I could see the logic in having Fort as the sub.
Yeah this.

Ports running power (no pun intended) scares me and as such, I wouldn’t mind seeing Harry come in either, but you would probably only swap him with Fletcher but I think Jaspa has an extra 1-2 classy, pivotal moments in games, where it’s probably not worth changing.

If it does end up being Port and the mids switch off like they did in the third tonight it won’t matter who we have out there. We have more than enough strike power up front against them and I think to a man our defence matches up not to badly, but if the mids don’t pull their weight we will struggle.

Quietly confident, more so than recent years. Whether it's Port or Melbourne, not fussed.

Lose this game though and it's at minimum Collingwood or Melbourne at the MCG in a Prelim, so quite a bit at stake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.
Must be doing well by the sounds of things M Malice if we are already in the year 2024 ;)

That premiership in 2023 was one of the best moments of my life, went fast so quickly :p

Lyons as sub and entering in Q4 would be perfect. He can give us the midfield boost against Port and if he can win the center bounce and stoppages while fresh in the middle, it goes a long way to bridging any gap.

I think Lyons taking Dunkleys defensive role allowing him to play more attacking in the last is probably our best hope.

Would also consider Matho. Apart from that I don't see any likely to have much of an impact

The whole team could do with a rest but I think it’ll particularly work wonders for the likes of Payne, Dunkley, Bailey and even Charlie who have been carrying some clear niggles. Likewise for the older blokes like Zorko and Lester. O could use a freshen up after shouldering majority of the ruck work all year. McKenna after a full season back into it looks like he tired slightly the last few weeks and for the younger guys like Coleman, Wilmot and Fletcher it will be greatly beneficial as well. The guy who needs it most I think is Payne. Really hoping a week off helps his ankle and he can recapture his form from earlier in the year come finals. If he can, that’ll go a long way towards us winning the flag.

Sometimes I feel like the pre finals bye can be a bit of a hinderance, particularly if your team is in red hot form to end the season. This year though I think our players really need it and it will give them the refresh they need to come out firing week 1 of finals.

Want to start looking at flights! Is there a hypothesis on when the game will be? My heart says Saturday night but the QF last year were Friday night / Saturday arvo.
According to Jon Ralph today, it’ll be a Saturday afternoon match (if we play Port Adelaide).

Looking back to our 1st finals appearance in 2019 under Fagan.
Result: Lions 65 Tigers 112.

Young players and 1st finals experience players that day: Berry, Rayner, Bailey, Andrews, Hipwood & McInerney.
Others that are still with us and best 22: Neale, Zorko, McCarthy, Cameron & throw in Lyons maybe as sub.

Enough experience now in this group to hopefully get to a GF.

Going through the whole group that played yesterday only Fletcher & Lohmann has not played finals at AFL level.

Do we find out late this afternoon what the schedule will be for the first week of finals?

What about tickets, they usually go on sale early this week?

Do we find out late this afternoon what the schedule will be for the first week of finals?

What about tickets, they usually go on sale early this week?
Usually it’s straight after the last match (which will be tonight).

According to Jon Ralph today on pre-game, Collingwood Thursday, Carlton Friday, Brisbane Saturday Afternoon and Sydney / St. Kilda Sunday Afternoon so maybe if results occur as I imagine to happen, would be something like this:

Thursday Night
Collingwood vs. Melbourne

Friday Night
Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs / GWS

Saturday Afternoon / Twilight
Brisbane vs. Port Adelaide

Sunday Afternoon / Twilight
Sydney vs. St. Kilda

Apparently this is because the AFL want interstate teams to travel back on the same day as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back