Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the hot and dry nature of Perth from October - March I've taken to primarily native plants. Beautiful when they flower. Attracts the native bugs and birds. Even had some blue banded bees in my yard this season.
I also have the biggest Ponytail Palm that anyone I know has ever seen in my yard, which is neat

Even had some blue banded bees in my yard this season.
Thought they were only Qld but apparently everywhere nearly

They are one of our solitary native bee species and are found in every state of Australia except Tasmania.
It is also found in Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, East Timor and Malaysia and thrves most in tropical and sub-tropical type climates and there are thought to be about 25 different species.

1638600513435.png

I planted this stuff and it's the most hardy ground cover I've found. Started with one small pot and with natural spread and doing some cuttings I've probably got 4 or 5 square metres of it now.

The majority of my plants are native. The "soil" (dry sand) in Perth is s**t and it's either raining an inch in an hour or not at all for 3 months so the more plants that are actually suited to the conditions the better.

View attachment 1292015

I planted this stuff and it's the most hardy ground cover I've found. Started with one small pot and with natural spread and doing some cuttings I've probably got 4 or 5 square metres of it now.

The majority of my plants are native. The "soil" (dry sand) in Perth is sh*t and it's either raining an inch in an hour or not at all for 3 months so the more plants that are actually suited to the conditions the better.
Also comes in a million different colours, I've got pink, red, yellow and orange ones at my front.

Thought they were only Qld but apparently everywhere nearly

They are one of our solitary native bee species and are found in every state of Australia except Tasmania.
It is also found in Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, East Timor and Malaysia and thrves most in tropical and sub-tropical type climates and there are thought to be about 25 different species.
They're not seen often in the metro areas. Quite elusive even if they are common.
I take it as a compliment to the eco system I've created outside.

If anyone manages to kill Pigface, its probably best to give up gardening for good.

As a landscaper I shouldn't really be surprised at the amount of people that try and have gardens that just aren't suited to Perth conditions. Plenty of beautiful West Australian natives to suit conditions.

People love to put in limestone retaining walls and then plants that want acidic soil.

View attachment 1292015

The majority of my plants are native. The "soil" (dry sand) in Perth is sh*t and it's either raining an inch in an hour or not at all for 3 months so the more plants that are actually suited to the conditions the better.
It's hotter here a bit away from Perf but I have a complete mish mash of rosemary bushes, natives, lots of small annual/biannual flowers planted in winter, pine trees and a tiny patch of lawn.

Various trees/shubs from natives, olives and a mulberry out the back. Vegie patch sometimes usually only in winter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Mmm nice to see Newscorpse respecting the familys wishes.

His family requested no images of Mr Cundall be published with the announcement of his death.

I just removed the one I posted

Peter Cundall lived a pretty incredible life - had a very hard upbringing. He was in the Paras during WWII and was imprisoned in Yugoslavia. Later he joined the Australian Army and fought in the Korean War. Got into gardening whilst he was billeted in Tokyo.

Then after leaving the army he joined the Communist Party and ran for the Senate, and eventually went on to lead the campaign to stop the building of the Franklin Dam (which remains one of the most influential constitutional law cases in Australian history).

I don't think he ever wrote an autobiography but there was an episode of some biographical TV show ages ago that went into his whole backstory (Australian Story or One Plus One or Compass or something) and it's definitely worth watching if you can find it.

His family requested no images of Mr Cundall be published with the announcement of his death.
Strange request, I wonder why? Usually that's just an indigenous thing

During a year-and-a-half based in Japan, he studied Japanese garden design and rock garden construction.
He gained access to many famous gardens and bonsai nurseries and regularly went to observe new gardens being built in Hiroshima, which was undergoing reconstruction after the atomic bombing in 1945.

Kind of nice not having a photo
Every article now has a flower or his garden beds in Tassie botanical gardens

Peter Cundall lived a pretty incredible life - had a very hard upbringing. He was in the Paras during WWII and was imprisoned in Yugoslavia. Later he joined the Australian Army and fought in the Korean War. Got into gardening whilst he was billeted in Tokyo.

Then after leaving the army he joined the Communist Party and ran for the Senate, and eventually went on to lead the campaign to stop the building of the Franklin Dam (which remains one of the most influential constitutional law cases in Australian history).

I don't think he ever wrote an autobiography but there was an episode of some biographical TV show ages ago that went into his whole backstory (Australian Story or One Plus One or Compass or something) and it's definitely worth watching if you can find it.

Strange request, I wonder why? Usually that's just an indigenous thing
Perhaps he has indigenous links. In any case there are plenty of images online from back in his tv days as well as Wiki.

Perhaps he has indigenous links. In any case there are plenty of images online from back in his tv days as well as Wiki.
Nah doubt he'd have indigenous links. He was born in northern England (Manchester) and in his own words was brought up dirt poor with an alcoholic abusive father.
Whatever the reason you'd think the media would respect his and his familys wishes.

Nah doubt he'd have indigenous links. He was born in northern England (Manchester) and in his own words was brought up dirt poor with an alcoholic abusive father.
Whatever the reason you'd think the media would respect his and his familys wishes.
Not making excuses but it would be easy to just churn out an article before actually reading details in the notification. All journos want to be FIRST to break news. But clumsy, I agree.

I have a gardening spurt around this time of year. Then it gets hot and after a while I don't GAF :(.
I did renovate the fernery which I'm quite proud of and have been giving it a sprinkle every morning that it doesn't rain.
Noticed a lot of weeds in the gravel around the house, since the rainy spell, so will have to get onto that. It's an early morning job, before the sun gets over to that side.

Love my garden. My dahlias are coming along a treat.
I had some giant dahlias in Melbourne
very simple flowers on giant tall stems
you cut the stem like a bit of bamboo put it on the ground and stood back
they filled in the back grounds real quick
iu

My dad was into the froufrou ones and would dig up the bulbs(potatos) dry them out and start again every year

Not making excuses but it would be easy to just churn out an article before actually reading details in the notification. All journos want to be FIRST to break news. But clumsy, I agree.
Yeah I suppose. I read somewhere media outlets have articles ready to go for old aged celebrities.

*Edit - They seem to have removed his picture now so all good just lazy I guess.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back