Gardening Thread

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Get a load of this. Think its the rain we had this spring.

Screenshot_2021-12-04-15-26-56-67_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Stunning a bit of dead heading and it will be looking even better
Does it have a perfume ?
I have a pretty bad sense of smell but yes. Its near the back door and Ive got every vase chockers with them. Lots more bushes too all different colours. The rain plus I bought a worm farm for the kitchen scraps I think is giving back the love.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I have a pretty bad sense of smell but yes. Its near the back door and Ive got every vase chockers with them. Lots more bushes too all different colours. The rain plus I bought a worm farm for the kitchen scraps I think is giving back the love.
I used to throw banana peels under my roses

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Banana peels are one thing Ive never thrown in the worm farm or citrus skins. So bananas skins are good? Ive always put em in hard rubbish cos im unsure.
Worms dont like onion or citrus Im not sure about chillies either ???
I used to throw the bananas straight under the roses now I put them under the tomatoes get the flowering going with a bit of potassium a bit of wood ash too from the barby (not briquettes real wood)

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Worms dont like onion or citrus Im not sure about chillies either ???
I used to throw the bananas straight under the roses now I put them under the tomatoes get the flowering going with a bit of potassium a bit of wood ash too from the barby (not briquettes real wood)
Yeah I have a wood fire so always plenty of ash, but dont over do it. Onions and citrus always hard rubbish but Ive always been unsure about bananas.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
The worm farm is one of the best things I have bought. Produces liquid gold, plants love it. Just from my kitchen scraps.
Great thing about worm farms is you throw the castings around and you dont need to buy seed nearly everything just grows that went in there.
Paw paws, tomatoes,capsicums, cucumbers, melons.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If you have an old banana laying on the counter, cut it in half and bury it in the worm bin. Your worms will love it!
Thanks for that. I eat a banana a day. The worms seem yo love what Ive been putting in there but good to know bananas can go in too.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Have lived in this house for about 6 years - we have a driveway of about 25-30m and nothing grew between the driveway and fence and was really s**t dirt. I put in English Box seedlings about 5 years ago and they have taken forever to grow but are basically done and are now cut into a small hedge all the way up the driveway (with 3 roses along the first 15m of the driveway. They look really good.

But now we are moving and the new owners will get to enjoy them after ive done all the work haha. Same goes for our fruit trees, we have gotten a couple of summers out of them but most are coming into their own from about this year onwards.

I wont be growing fruit trees at the new joint (we dont eat much of what we did grow (except the peaches, made some beautiful jam out of those) so cant be bothered growing them, trimming them over winter, netting them etc). Not sure what i will do there yet.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My roses are always in great condition and are one of the easiest things to grow and produce great flowers. Gut them back once a year, bit of spray here or there to get rid of any aphids and barely water them (havent once this year due to all the rain). They need a bit of maintaining when flowering to get rid of the old ones but always plenty coming through.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Currently grow things like ruby reds, pineapples, jackfruits, avocados, pawpaw, coffee, limes, as well as a whole host of shrubs and creepers and cacti. There are already a lot of palms and ferns naturally about the place. Cut up a pineapple the other week (they take forever so a real treat). The Ruby Reds are so plentiful that you never really need to buy fruit, you could live on it if so inclined.

I like learning about the different pests about the place and the predators that follow them. A bit of a nuisance, but interesting to investigate, in the tropics there is such a vast diversity of critters about. It's at the end of a long street close so you don't get too many thieves wandering by or anything.

Last edited:
I wont be growing fruit trees at the new joint (we dont eat much of what we did grow (except the peaches, made some beautiful jam out of those) so cant be bothered growing them, trimming them over winter, netting them etc). Not sure what i will do there yet.

I lived in a house with a lemon tree out the front, for over ten years.
Do miss that thing, was really handy just grabbing lemons whenever you needed them.

You should at least do a lemon tree.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I lived in a house with a lemon tree out the front, for over ten years.
Do miss that thing, was really handy just grabbing lemons whenever you needed them.

You should at least do a lemon tree.

Na dont think ill do any - we'll be going from 2 apple trees, pear, peach, plum, cherry, dwarf lemon, dwarf lime, dwarf orange and olive tree to nil.

Apart from the Lemon, Peach and both apple trees, the others we havent gotten much from - cherries get picked off by birds, lime and orange have never done much, couple of pears but this year looks a bumper - has about 20 growing, plum is a young tree and hasnt fruited yet, same with olive.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Na dont think ill do any - we'll be going from 2 apple trees, pear, peach, plum, cherry, dwarf lemon, dwarf lime, dwarf orange and olive tree to nil.

Apart from the Lemon, Peach and both apple trees, the others we havent gotten much from - cherries get picked off by birds, lime and orange have never done much, couple of pears but this year looks a bumper - has about 20 growing, plum is a young tree and hasnt fruited yet, same with olive.
Olives are a fair bit of dedication unless you just want the Mediterranean look ...squashing or pickling is a lot of work
Pears are usually biennial
Lemons are worth their weight in gold
Limes and oranges in Melbourne unless you have a good spot with a warmer micro climate your going to be disappointed most years
Cherries are excellent but the birds do love them so do the possums
Apples do well plums do well I had good success with almonds too
Peaches and nectarines you would want a variety that tastes better than the bland stuff that gets sold in supermarkets I had Anzac and I cant remember the other one ???....older heirloom varieties from Flemings (they have a brochure online)
Apricot and figs are worth growing at home because they are never the same from a shop as they are from a tree

My backyard in Port Melb was surrounded by espaliered fruit trees.....early and late season varieties
Plums,Peaches, Nectarines, Pears ,Apples ,Cherries, Figs, Almonds, Apricots ,also had blood orange cumquat's limes and mandarin and lemon

Quite a good warmer micro climate in Port Melbourne the salt air and the warmth of the city....everything grew well

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Olives are a fair bit of dedication unless you just want the Mediterranean look ...squashing or pickling is a lot of work
Pears are usually biennial
Lemons are worth their weight in gold
Limes and oranges in Melbourne unless you have a good spot with a warmer micro climate your going to be disappointed most years
Cherries are excellent but the birds do love them so do the possums
Apples do well plums do well I had good success with almonds too
Peaches and nectarines you would want a variety that tastes better than the bland stuff that gets sold in supermarkets I had Anzac and I cant remember the other one ???....older heirloom varieties from Flemings (they have a brochure online)
Apricot and figs are worth growing at home because they are never the same from a shop as they are from a tree

My backyard in Port Melb was surrounded by espaliered fruit trees.....early and late season varieties
Plums,Peaches, Nectarines, Pears ,Apples ,Cherries, Figs, Almonds, Apricots ,also had blood orange cumquat's limes and mandarin and lemon

Quite a good warmer micro climate in Port Melbourne the salt air and the warmth of the city....everything grew well

- Yeah the limes and oranges have always struggled, i moved them about 18 months ago and no imporvement.
- Olives i was wanting to make my own but only planted it 18months ago. Didnt think we'd be moving for a few more years so am going to miss out.
- The peaches are delicious, not sure what type they are but got it from bunnings, juicy as - great fresh and we get so many i make jam with them. Think i got 8kgs of fruit out of it last year

Back