Garry Lyons and Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

No he doesn't have a grudge against Port. He has a grudge against anything that isn't Melbourne. As already mentioned he makes floggish comments about Collingwood and Richmond pretty regularly.

In 2010 he said something along the lines of "if you were a coach and you could pick one team to coach for the upcoming decade it would be Melbourne by an absolute mile".

Take it as a badge of honour.

That above quote was made in 2008. Since then Collingwood have won a flag, had 4 top 4 finishes and participated in 6 finals series out of 7. Melbourne have won 2 spoons, had 5 bottom 4 finishes and 0 finals. That's an example of how good Lyon's judgement is.
Like a fine wine that quote, gets better with age

Take it as a badge of honour.

GARRY Lyon could not resist the symbolism of Collingwood's woes last night as he heralded the rebirth of his struggling club.

Lyon addressed 170 supporters at a "150 Foundation Heroes" dinner, telling them that they were involved in the most important night in the Melbourne Football Club's history.
"The symbolism of today shouldn't be lost on anyone," Lyon said.
"I think you will enjoy the fact that whilst tonight is the rebirth of this great footy club, our greatest rival is in disarray.
"The Collingwood footy club is going down the plughole as the Melbourne footy club re-establishes itself as a power."

That above quote was made in 2008. Since then Collingwood have won a flag, had 4 top 4 finishes and participated in 6 finals series out of 7. Melbourne have won 2 spoons, had 5 bottom 4 finishes and 0 finals. That's an example of how good Lyon's judgement is.

worth a re-quote

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then he said about Richmond....

Aaah, I can't be stuffed. Fact is, he's a Demons fan. Fair enough. Everyone's a footy fan.

It's just with Lyon, he lets his bias against every club that isn't Melbourne show through too much for someone who wants to be taken seriously. If you want to be the one-eyed fan, play the Mick Molloy or Bill Brownless role. (Of course, you have to be slightly humorous for that, and I think Lyon has a major issue in that area as well).

Robbo says hi

tn_Untitled-7.jpg

if only the goals we were kicking at were that big

Garry Lyon should stop helping out the Dees, every single time he has helped it has been the wrong choice.
He really has f***ed their club. Even the Melbourne fans have turned on him in recent times. His assistance in the appointment of Mark Neeld and reluctance to commit himself to the club in any form has been devastating to the club.

No he doesn't have a grudge against Port. He has a grudge against anything that isn't Melbourne. As already mentioned he makes floggish comments about Collingwood and Richmond pretty regularly.

And the Bulldogs. All throughout the Neeld era it was all "they are bad too, look at them and not us"

This may already be known, but lately I've noticed that Garry Lyon has a personal grudge against Port Adelaide.

Probably the best known is where a couple years ago he made a public comment about parents being concerned about their sons being drafted by Port - a bit rich coming from a Melbourne club identity.

More regularly, whether it is on the footy show or that other channel 9 football show, he made subtle negative digs throughout the year. From nearly always tipping against them to comments - such as pre the previous match against Freo, comments like "of course they have no chance" etc etc. When other panellists make positive observations he often just nods his head, says nothing and changes the subject.

The only positive thing I've ever heard him say was his recent piece on Wines. Even that could be put down to his club passing on him.
Just ignore Gary Lyons; he is an irrelevant fool who probably wakes up every day thinking, "I should have taken a coaching gig when I could".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back