Gary Ablett Jr holds the all time record for the most Brownlow votes. Dangerfield, Selwood and Pendlebury are top 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I saw a stat last night, only 4 players had polled 30+ and not won. Dangerfield in 2017 and then Bont, Oliver and Walsh last night. Not taking anything away from those blokes but the voting must have changed significantly over the past decade. It's not like previous generations have lacked for star mids and vote getters. When Gaz won his first in 2009, only 2 other players cracked 20 let alone 30 (Judd and Hayes).

Is it more media exposure? Change in the way umpires vote? Change in tactics? Not sure if it's related but anecdotally, supercoach scores have been skyrocketing too.

Last edited:
I think I saw a stat last night, only 4 players had polled 30+ and not won. Dangerfield in 2017 and then Bont, Oliver and Walsh last night. Not taking anything away from those blokes but the voting must have changed significantly over the past decade. It's not like previous generations have lacked for star mids and vote getters. When Gaz won his first in 2009, only 2 other players cracked 20 let alone 20 (Judd and Hayes).

Is it more media exposure? Change in the way umpires vote? Change in tactics? Not sure if it's related but anecdotally, supercoach scores have been skyrocketing too.

Forgive me if im wrong, but I think umpires now are able to access the match stats etc prior to casting their votes.

That certainly wasn't the case in the past or even a decade ago from memory.

I think I saw a stat last night, only 4 players had polled 30+ and not won. Dangerfield in 2017 and then Bont, Oliver and Walsh last night. Not taking anything away from those blokes but the voting must have changed significantly over the past decade. It's not like previous generations have lacked for star mids and vote getters. When Gaz won his first in 2009, only 2 other players cracked 20 let alone 30 (Judd and Hayes).

Possessions are way up compared to the past from memory, so the big midfielders are in the umpires face a lot more, getting a lot more of the ball, would be a big part of it.

Not so sure about that. Dusty, Fyfe and Danger all missed extended periods of time in 2021, wouldn't be surprised to see one of those three win another despite their age profiles being slightly past it if they have a big preseason and play 22 games.

Danger and Fyfe have had alot of injuries so i think it would be unlikely to see them play 22 games next year. Even in the years when Fyfe won it he played sub 20 games.

Dusty has played 20 games pretty much every year he has played but his issue will be he is a player who looks alot better in a team that is winning. I'm not sure Richmond will win that many games next year. He has polled less than 10% of his brownlow votes in losses

Danger and Fyfe have had alot of injuries so i think it would be unlikely to see them play 22 games next year. Even in the years when Fyfe won it he played sub 20 games.

Dusty has played 20 games pretty much every year he has played but his issue will be he is a player who looks alot better in a team that is winning. I'm not sure Richmond will win that many games next year. He has polled less than 10% of his brownlow votes in losses
I can see Fyfe dropping right away in terms of Brownlow votes. I think injury and team success (or lack of) could really hinder how he polls.

I expect Dangerfield to still be a vote-getter. He is explosive and eye-catching and the umps don’t seem to worry about clangers. There is still no-one else in the Geelong midfield to be the #1 guy. Injury (and suspension?) might be the only thing to stop him polling 15+ for the next two years.

Dusty could really benefit from his injury. It’d been reported he lost 10kgs, so that might give him the chance to re-shape his body and game a little. He does look better in Richmond wins, and our gamestyle can see votes shared around or awarded to the opposition when we do win.

Where did you calculate the 10% figure from? It’s not that surprising but I’d be interested to see how others compare.

Where did you calculate the 10% figure from? It’s not that surprising but I’d be interested to see how others compare.

just eyeballed his stats from afltables.

He is actually reasonably high. Someone like Luke Shuey for example has never polled in a losing game.

Fyfe/GAJ are the kings of polling in lost games. Half of Fyfe's votes in 2019 were in losing games.

*Paul* might be able to give us a % breakdown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the second highest brownlow vote winner of all time isnt worthy of legend status then should we really value the brownlow?
Have a look at the table of career Brownlow votes. See all those 21st century players at or near the top? What does that tell you?

A bloke named Haydn Bunton from NSW won 3 x Brownlows in 119 games.
When money drew him to WA & he won 3 x Sandovers in 72 games, before WW2 put an end to that.

Votes per game would be a better indicator of all time record if that is why you'd want a comparison.

Votes per game (adj):

Bunton 1.04
Fyfe 0.98
Moss 0.95
Dangerfield 0.88

Bunton won three Brownlows and three Sandovers in absolutely terrible teams. By modern standards - which favour players from winning teams - he is unlikely to have won any of them.

That's actually pretty common of the multiple Brownlow winners. Both Reynolds and Skilton won their awards in dreadful teams. Stewart though was the exception.

It's interesting because these awards are so intrinsically tied to their reputations and legacies and yet a shift in favour of winning teams (which of course eventually happened) would have denied them completely. Also interesting to think about how Brownlows would be allocated if they continued to favour losing teams - would we be saying goodbye to three-time Brownlow Medalist Nathan Jones?

Last edited:
Votes per game (adj):

Bunton 1.04
Fyfe 0.98
Moss 0.95
Dangerfield 0.88

Bunton won three Brownlows and three Sandovers in absolutely terrible teams. By modern standards - which favour players from winning teams - he is unlikely to have won any of them.

That's actually pretty common of the multiple Brownlow winners. Both Reynolds and Skilton won their awards in dreadful teams. Stewart though was the exception.

It's interesting because these awards are so intrinsically tied to their reputations and legacies and yet a shift in favour of winning teams (which of course eventually happened) would have denied them completely. Also interesting to think about how Brownlows would be allocated if they continued to favour losing teams - would we be saying goodbye to three-time Brownlow Medalist Nathan Jones?

The other measure is more attractive as it sees current players as 'best'.

just eyeballed his stats from afltables.

He is actually reasonably high. Someone like Luke Shuey for example has never polled in a losing game.

Fyfe/GAJ are the kings of polling in lost games. Half of Fyfe's votes in 2019 were in losing games.

*Paul* might be able to give us a % breakdown
Not sure where that stat came from but it's not right according to AFL Tables

Votes per game (adj):

Bunton 1.04
Fyfe 0.98
Moss 0.95
Dangerfield 0.88

It is an interesting point - I mean if you look at Brownlow medalists whose team missed the finals, you are looking at GAJ at GC and Fyfe in 2019. Certainly not something that happens very often these days.

Not sure where that stat came from but it's not right according to AFL Tables

my information is a bit old it would be seem, he had polled 1 vote in losing games up until 2020 when he polled 3 in one year!

I just know because i was doing some analysis and when he was a top tier mid he had the lowest %

I expect Dangerfield to still be a vote-getter. He is explosive and eye-catching and the umps don’t seem to worry about clangers. There is still no-one else in the Geelong midfield to be the #1 guy. Injury (and suspension?) might be the only thing to stop him polling 15+ for the next two years.

Danger didn't poll very well this year. With his form dropping off i could see him coming to the end pretty quickly tbh. He is one of the biggest advocates for shorter quarters because they suit him.

I reckon he has 2 years left. So he'll finish on around 315 games.

It is an interesting point - I mean if you look at Brownlow medalists whose team missed the finals, you are looking at GAJ at GC and Fyfe in 2019. Certainly not something that happens very often these days.
8th-14th was a bit of a sweet spot for a few years. 2010, 2012 (Jobe and then Cotchin), 2013, 2014. I remember expecting that trend to continue but it’s gone back to being quite top 4 heavy, other than Fyfe.

Danger didn't poll very well this year. With his form dropping off i could see him coming to the end pretty quickly tbh. He is one of the biggest advocates for shorter quarters because they suit him.

I think ego will drive Dangerfield longer as long as he doesn’t physically break down.

Had a number of injury issues this year, he'll be able to play more minutes forward, probably on that basis will go another few seasons unless there's some major injury issues or he loses his pace / overhead marking and can't do much forward.

Not sure he catches Ablett though if he's not in the middle full-time.

Brownlow votes for new club after changing clubs:
  1. Nathan Buckley - 164 (260 games)
  2. Scott Thompson (Adelaide) - 152 (269)
  3. Josh P. Kennedy - 146 (266)
  4. Patrick Dangerfield - 133 (131)
  5. Gary Ablett Jr. (Gold Coast) - 122 (110)
  6. Chris Judd - 116 (145)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back