Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does being in the backline give him any excuse for not getting involved, when Grundy and Rampe were among our best and we were constantly barraged with inside 50s so there was no shortage of ball in there?

Should give him a pass full stop

being on the ground hurt him

Should give him a pass full stop

being on the ground hurt him
I'm probably being a bit harsh, expecting him to contribute in a position he has trained extensively in and is trusted to play by the coaches

I'm probably being a bit harsh, expecting him to contribute in a position he has trained extensively in and is trusted to play by the coaches

Wonder if Ted Richards watched on wondering about a farewell game as Rohan watched the dogs win

I don't know if I have actually seen him play any really good games out of defence.

If they want him to play there, he should have a stretch in reserves to learn the position better and inject himself into games. Not play him out of position in the grand final.

Yes he may have trained there, doesn't mean he should be selected to play there. I personally do not see him as an AFL quality defender.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Longmire goes way too defensive as soon as things don't look like going his way imo.

yep, if you call him fat he gets even more defensive

nooo its just the lighting in here he says

thats why the swans coaches box is so dark

Correct. Once Franklin was lame Rohan should have been played out of the square to burn a defender off on long leads. Had to try something.

To be fair he was burning defenders and was almost playing out of the goal square...just at the wrong end.

Rohan should sit down with AJ to learn how to play a grand final.

Alex Johnson at 19 was apart of the best back 6 in the history of this club and in that had an unbelievable amount of support around him. I, like mates of mine was scathing of Rohan on Saturday night but he has not been afforded the same as he has never really been settled anywhere. Play him next to Franklin for a whole season or off a half back flank next to Grundy and he may just mature into better and more consistent performances in big games that count. That is not creating an excuse for him but comparing him to Johnson is way off the mark. I seen Alex Johnson dog it down at Geelong in a loss 4 weeks before that GF and Longmire let him know so at 1/4 time so support speaks volumes in the development and improvement of a young player and for that matter any young man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't think it's a matter of Rohan not being afforded the opportunity to learn and grow in a single position. Longmire has entrusted him to be a spare man in defence in between being a permanent forward this year. With good results quite often. He's not a kid in football terms anymore either, he's 25, that's old enough to be accountable for your own performance as an individual.

To me the major deficiency in Rohan's game is and has always been mental. He doesn't make great decisions - he's much more a play on instinct kind of player. Now I'm going to make some suppositions here but that's all we can do as supporters sometimes.

But from a distance I think he's fragile. He appears to me to be easily brought to earth with a thud when something doesn't go right. And then he can be on top of the world if something goes well and he kicks a few goals. In that sense his inconsistency on the field is mirrored by what I imagine is an inconsistency in his belief in his own ability and confidence.

Obviously all suppositions from afar. He'd be more fascinating as a psychological study if not for being so frustrating as a football fan.

I think Gary adds something special to the forward line, but he can't fire on the big stage, and that's a massive problem. He needs to stand up and do something. I know he signed his contract recently, but I get the impression he might return home after it is finished. He is getting married soon and his family are from country Victoria, I reckon he might stick around for success and then leave. Maybe we could get something good for him. Players that don't fire on Grand Final day seem to flood to our club. Parker, Tippett, McGlynn, etc. Maybe we need to change our recruiting requirements, and get some kids or ready made players that can perform on the big stage (easier said than done I know).

I don't know if I have actually seen him play any really good games out of defence.

If they want him to play there, he should have a stretch in reserves to learn the position better and inject himself into games. Not play him out of position in the grand final.

Yes he may have trained there, doesn't mean he should be selected to play there. I personally do not see him as an AFL quality defender.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app
Totally agree on Rohan's best possie. No way a defender. Too haphazard. Maybe a winger, maybe a forward but never a serious defender. Aliir ten times the player down back.

Tippett was never the same after he came back from his hamstring injury. David King said we should go with Nankervis over Tippett and he proved correct.

Rohan has been a spud in two grand finals sadly the evidence is there.

David King has to get at least one call right a year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back