Preview The Curious Case of the Two Grand Finalists Geelong v Sydney at GHMBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof. I see Umpire Stevic has been selected.

Expecting the man in Snow White (yes I know they wear some yellow garb) will run amok with our Seven Dwarves defenders.

Used to hate Stevic but he’s been one of the best ones in the last few years. Better than Niccolls at least that bald bloke just finds ways to screw us

Fox will get Hawkins imo

You recon? Didn’t he smack Cameron last time round? I’d be more worried about Cameron who is not just the best forward in the game but the best player in the game

Will be really interesting to see the defensive setup for this one. If Cameron plays higher maybe you're tempted to put Blakey on him but then you worry about Hawkins reach on Fox.

My 2 cents, but similar to many.

Clarke coming back in makes sense. Was Best 22 last year, got through a comeback VFL game unscathed, got plenty of the ball, no reason to think he won't slot back in as the defensive forward OK. Cunningham, I was willing to jettison to the sub for Clarke to come back, although I think there's some disrespect being shown to someone who has been a very valuable player for us and easily Best 22 for long stretches in multiple positions (just not in good form over the last year and a half). But if he's playing down back / utility role, can see why he is still in over other alternatives. JMac needs a good game, but then there's only maybe Corey Warner who is a threat from outside the 22.

Gould I thought should play, and I'm opposed to KPP as subs, so I don't know why we would keep doing that. My only thought is surely Francis plays down back at all times. We could get away with Blakey, Gould as KPDs against the Tigers (given who they were up against), but Hawkins and Cameron (taken by Fox surely) are different. Logan, McLean (close to home) and Heeney should be enough "tall" firepower up forward.

And like some others I'm hoping to see Campbell up the ground more, maybe Cunners allows that.

I wrote this before the GF;

One rule for the weekend.
Do not allow Hawkins to take the ball out of the ruck in our D50.
He would surely have the best ruck win to goal conversion in the league.
Ideally we get Hickey back there to compete against him.

Ya that worked well.
:(
Yeah that was a real WTF moment in the granny. How could they have not strategised to ensure it didn’t happen?
It’s why I consider the result a failure of coaching …

God the attempts to be contrarian about Gould are so cringeworthy. People want to see him get another chance after a solid debut as sub after being our VFL player of the year last year, and apparently that means we think he's the second coming of Christ.

The lame exaggerations to try to make your opinion more valid is so weak. It's okay to have a disagreement over team selections. You don't need to misconstrue opinions to the contrary of your own to make your opinion more valid, just accept them, disagree - post as much if you feel the need to - but deliberately changing what people are saying to win internet points is so silly.

This will be such an intriguing game, we will be a mystery in both defence and attack, but the game will ultimately be won in the midfield.

Geelong have added more height to their attack. Could be too tall though and play into our hands. Francis has to play down back I would have thought. Pretty sure we brought him in to play in defence first and foremost, plays best as an intercepter/3rd tall. Fox goes to Cameron without a doubt has the athletic ability and closing speed to wear him like a glove, again. Thought Blakey was really smart last week in not getting into a wrestling match with his opponent and playing to his strengths, this could work with Hawkins.

Gould was the sub last week, did quite well, showed good endeavour, think he should be the sub again. I can only assume with fitness/injury issues is what’s holding him back, match committee concerned with him running out 4 quarters is all.

Really happy to see the Clamp return, should be sent straight to Tom Stewart or Zach Tuohy if played in defence. Clarke was exceptional at the role last year and made it his own.

Loving the Logan and Papley double act when playing deep forward, they have a great chemistry and will do damage if allowed to play man on man.

One of my biggest pain points of the Grand final was allowing Geelong to have a spare in defence, killed any forward foray we had.

I expect a big game for Heeney, as a senior player, he needs to lift and will be a hard match up for Cats. We can’t expect Paps to kick 6 every week and Isaac is due to play a big game.

I also expect a big game from our midfield who were completely obliterated in the GF (apart from Chad). I think this game will see our midfield step up and take the game to Geelong who have not been on their game so far this sea, hence why I think we are a big show to get the points.

Yeah that was a real WTF moment in the granny. How could they have not strategised to ensure it didn’t happen?
It’s why I consider the result a failure of coaching …
And for it to happen twice!! There didn’t seem to be a plan to counter what Hawkins has been doing for the last few years. Strangely, I have faith in Ladhams to be a lot stronger in the contest, than Hickey was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s got potential but he looked gone halfway through last week. Now he can go back and work on the things he needs to.
Often on debut a player burns half his energy before he runs onto the ground, then fades in the back part of the game. Corey has a terrific tank so I doubt that would be an issue after a few games.
Picking up the pace and knowing where to be, developing a voice, when to attack, when to defend. Training it is one thing but doing it when the whips are cracking is another.
I'll bet that game was almost over before he took a breath. Not a bad start for a pick 40 in a rough and tumble game.
Remember too it was only Roberts' 5th game and he's only 3 months older albeit 7kg heavier. The kids are alright.

God the attempts to be contrarian about Gould are so cringeworthy. People want to see him get another chance after a solid debut as sub after being our VFL player of the year last year, and apparently that means we think he's the second coming of Christ.

The lame exaggerations to try to make your opinion more valid is so weak. It's okay to have a disagreement over team selections. You don't need to misconstrue opinions to the contrary of your own to make your opinion more valid, just accept them, disagree - post as much if you feel the need to - but deliberately changing what people are saying to win internet points is so silly.
Honestly haven’t seen anything of that sort on here.

No such thing as revenge for a GF defeat.

We could win by a thousand and it'll still just be 4 points.

(And a fair percentage I suppose)
Yep I agree.

I still expect a response though, especially from Mills, Gulden, Parker & Rowie from how badly we were bashed up in the midfield from the last game they played. The character of Mills would tell me he will play the game of his life.

We might be planning on using Fox on Hawkins then a combination of Mills / Blakey / Francis on Cameron. Cameron has been playing up the ground and his mobility and fitness has been impressive. If he plays deep as a target, Francis might swing back.

However, I disagree with the non selection of Gould. He had a good debut and I think he would have handled Hawkins (especially given his lack of fitness), freeing Fox to play on Cameron. With 4 key defenders out and Francis yet to play defence for our vfl team, I think Will must be selected sub, unless Horse has stamped his papers as not up to it.
Other way round on defensive match ups, surely. Fox has the speed and agility to go with Cameron. Francis has a couple of tree trunk thighs to battle Hawkins.

There are Internet points? How many did this get?

Other way round on defensive match ups, surely. Fox has the speed and agility to go with Cameron. Francis has a couple of tree trunk thighs to battle Hawkins.
The way to stop Hawkins is to fill the space in front of him so he can't get his hands on the ball. Most of his marks his feet hardly leave the ground. Francis can probably out jump him so that's OK but it will take a team effort. In the ruck he always twists onto his right foot so a designated midfielder or defender needs to spoil that if he grabs the ball.
Ain't rocket science.

Used to hate Stevic but he’s been one of the best ones in the last few years. Better than Niccolls at least that bald bloke just finds ways to screw us
Mods - surely this kind of thing can’t be tolerated.

Someone extolling the virtues of Stevic is just not on & deserves a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back