Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
courtesy of www.portadelaidefc.com.au

Gav the great: Stevens

086636at.jpg

Port Adelaide midfielder Nick Stevens, who is enjoying a good season – because of the Power’s and his own strong form – reckons team-mate Gavin Wanganeen has already piled up “lots of votes” for this year’s Brownlow Medal.

“He’s been great, Gav,” Stevens said before training at Alberton Oval on Wednesday. “He didn’t have a great start in the first two rounds but since then he’s probably got our best player (award) every game, so I’m sure he’ll have lots of votes in the Brownlow so far.

“He’s been a great player over the years. He’s had a few injuries in previous years but it’s been great to have him out there every week. He does his job. He’s been getting 25-30 touches every week.”

When told that he might have “pinched” a few votes from mid-season medal favourite Wanganeen because of his own fine form, Stevens said: “It (his form) hasn’t been too bad but you never know who the umpires vote for.

“I think Tredders (Warren Tredrea) will have a few along the way as well. We don’t really care who gets the votes as long as someone’s doing the job.”

Stressing the importance of second-placed Port moving to a 9-3 win-loss record this season by beating much-improved St Kilda at Launceston’s York Park on Saturday, Stevens said: “If we lose this week, all our good work is undone, so we’re going to go out very positive and make sure we come away with the four points.

“It’s a bit different because we have to fly to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Tasmania. But, at the end of the day, you go out there and play on a footy ground, so it doesn’t matter whether it’s at AAMI Stadium or in Tasmania, we go to win the game.

“The boys played there last year and had a good win (by 40 points against Hawthorn in round 10), and we’re comfortable going down there. We want to make sure we continue our winning form.”

Stevens described the mid-season break (over the weekend after this one) as “a great thing”.

“Personally, I feel fantastic so I’d love to keep going and have the break when you can – when you’re probably struggling a bit,” he said. “But everyone looks forward to the break – to freshen up the body and come back for the second half of the year.”

Port chief executive Brian Cunningham said on Wednesday the club was talking to Stevens about a new contract and was “progressing matters forward”.

“We’re happy with the state of progress at the moment and we hope something will be resolved in the near future,” he said.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nick and Sir Gav both score 2 and 3 points respectively in the same games as they have both been consistently outstanding for us.
BTW, that is a shocking picture! :eek:

Originally posted by _espoir
i t hink nick one cause the others cheated!

I heard Nick won. Because Chad wimped out :rolleyes:, but the funny thing is, Roger's hair looks longer than before and Roach's hair is as long as it was when the bet started..

..its all very confusing. :confused:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by _espoir
i t hink nick one cause the others cheated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke to Josh Carr at the Victorian Banquet Auction (May 24th) and he told me that it was down to Nick and Roach... so the others must have cheated in order for Nick to win because Stuart's hair was a lot shorter and probably would have taken it.
Anyway.. all that matters is that Nick cut his hair and is looking *fine* :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back