GC Rescue Package..... Should This Be The Last Time Ever For Anyone & Everyone ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming the bolded is true (a big if given your club's track record), I'm afraid to say that any success your club might have in the near future will forever be marred with a big asterisk, given the ridiculous handouts. You might say that you don't care, but deep down you know that it'll be a hollow success.
I dont care. I have no feelings deep down neither.

but i hope it happens. Once players realise you can play at top level, get paid well, live in the best place in the country, particularly winter weather-wise, not be hounded by media on a daily basis and live a normal life, well i think the tide will turn as far as people not wanting to come here goes.

Just give me transparent rules in black and white so I know if I’m running a 100m sprint or the Stawell gift.

- Even salary cap
- 1 afl list (the rookie list and delist/ redraft thing is just silly)
- Keep cat b players who are not on lists and can only play in the twos (I.e. truly developing)
- therefore 1 afl draft (again what’s the point of a rookie draft if most of the players are just being redrafted)
- minimum 5 delistings a year
- 3 year deals for 1st round picks
- 2 year deals for R2-4
- 1 year deals for the rest
- Scrap 20% discount for bids (your incentive is the ability to match - otherwise isn’t that market rate)
- I would scrap the academies entirely and just have an open draft but I think I’m onto a losing battle with that one
- You must match bids with points from the next 18 picks. Removes the double dipping of picks or ability to draft a Ferrari and pay with 3 Camrys
- Transparent Priority pick rules I.e. 10 wins in period of 4 years equal end of first round.
- Scrap FA compo i.e. Frawley compo. If you want him, match the offer. Just dilutes the draft really.
- keep F/S

If I had to sum it all up:
- Keep the draft and Salary cap as unaffected as possible.

My understanding is that the AFL through club distribution give each club every year approx 10 million or more which is basically the salary cap.
how many clubs in the league could afford to fund themselves totally and not receive a dime from head office? Maybe 3-4 only.

Conveniently overlook that finals locations are NOW based on merit.

And Grand Finals aren’t, never have been, and nor should they ever be.

I detest the idea that a team can “earn” an intended advantage on Grand Final day. For what, potentially not playing on a wet day and getting a higher percentage? Stuff that. By the time you make a GF, dining off H&A result should be done with, it’s just two teams left standing going toe-to-toe.

If people aren’t happy having to win the day at the one recurring venue, then rotate it around. If a team happened to finish in the GF in a year it’s rotated through their home state, supporters of the losing team I’m sure would still find a way to bitch about it, but it’s better than some messed up “merit” based Grand Final location. Geebus!

My understanding is that the AFL through club distribution give each club every year approx 10 million or more which is basically the salary cap.
how many clubs in the league could afford to fund themselves totally and not receive a dime from head office? Maybe 3-4 only.

It’s not really giving. Clubs are due their fair share of the TV rights revenue.

And Grand Finals aren’t, never have been, and nor should they ever be.

I detest the idea that a team can “earn” an intended advantage on Grand Final day. For what, potentially not playing on a wet day and getting a higher percentage? Stuff that. By the time you make a GF, dining off H&A result should be done with, it’s just two teams left standing going toe-to-toe.

If people aren’t happy having to win the day at the one recurring venue, then rotate it around. If a team happened to finish in the GF in a year it’s rotated through their home state, supporters of the losing team I’m sure would still find a way to bitch about it, but it’s better than some messed up “merit” based Grand Final location. Geebus!

Agree that no one deserves an advantage. It’s still farcical that it’s in Melbourne every year. The sooner it’s changed do a neutral venue the sooner we can look back at how stupid it is ala interstate sides playing home finals in Victoria and the old final 8 system.

Agree that no one deserves an advantage. It’s still farcical that it’s in Melbourne every year. The sooner it’s changed do a neutral venue the sooner we can look back at how stupid it is ala interstate sides playing home finals in Victoria and the old final 8 system.

Agree with that, but until that happens, Interstate clubs should be fixtured more games at the G, instead of being shunted off to home games by Vic clubs in Tassie or Darwin etc

Just shut them down FFS.

That “club” is a complete waste of resources and will never be a success. They can be gifted all the talent the AFL wants to give them but the reality is that most of the players don’t want to be there. It is a cultural wasteland.
I take exception to that!

Surfers Paradise has some of the most pristine examples of concrete and bitumen wind tunnel architecture in the country.

Philistine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3-4? Not even that. Maybe West Coast, but that's it. Even they'd have to cut back some expenses.

Not all clubs are created even, if a club cannot sustain themselves in a traditional market then support should be limited, either they are incompetent or excess to requirements.

Those in non-traditional/expansion regions should be given all the help they need, their success is more valuable to the game overall.

I assume with all the young Talent Gold Coast have now assembled, they now have a strong hand with trade capital to trade away some of their bonus picks for established talent or improve their trade position like they did with Geelong on draft night for Sharp.

That could expidate/fast track their list relaunch.

Clubs that have received Priority Picks

Melbourne 3
Carlton 3
Collingwood 2
St Kilda 2
Fremantle 2
Western Bulldogs 2
Hawthorn 2
West Coast 1
Richmond 1

How any of these clubs supporters can claim the moral high ground on this is mind boggling.

None of those were arbitrary. The system was clear and concise.

Now, the AFL can ignore one struggling team one year, and pay a huge bounty to another team another year.

Be transparent or don't do it at all.

At least that’s the same for every team year in year out for over 100 years, almost without exception. Before you were born, I was born, any of the coaches and players were born or those who signed that contract.

That supporters of some clubs who’ve recently joined the league have mistakenly convinced themselves that there’s a “home” and “away” Grand Final is really quite irrelevant.
Or that some supporters can't seem to fathom what "National" should mean.

As a former Victorian footballer now living on the beautiful Gold Coast (14 Years) completely disagree with your comments.
Living close to a high number of players including all the recent draftees, I see and speak regularly to them when walking the beach and at the local cafes,
and in some cases business dealings., and only one has ever indicated his desire to return home. The rest love living and playing here.
Obviously they would like more success.
If this group sticks together success will mostly certainly follow in the next 2 to 3 years.
So the fact that they don't openly tell you they want to go play for a team in a footy state is enough for you to think they all love being there?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back