Game Day GDT(Rnd4): Thursday Night Debut-The Cursed Season (Part 2) Vs Sydney(First Attempt) @ SCG 19.20 EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
1554899578008.png

1554899624400.png

1554899668733.png

For VIC

1554900276540.png

For NSW

1554900347483.png

1554900442007.png

Where and when: SCG, Thursday April 11, 7.20pm AEST
Last time they met: SCG, round 21, 2018: Sydney 13.9 (87) defeated Melbourne 10.18 (78)
The visitors got home in a thrilling contest thanks to some outstanding work behind the ball from Isaac Heeney, who was awarded the three Brownlow votes and dragged in what was later judged to be the mark of the year. It was also a horrible day for Alex Johnson, who suffered another ACL tear in what turned out to be his last game in the AFL.​

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide
What it means for Sydney:
A win over Carlton was a much-needed one and the home side must continue to build some momentum against the under-fire Dees, especially after dropping their first home game to Adelaide.
What it means for Melbourne: Tipped as premiership contenders before the season, the Demons have looked anything but and a fourth-straight loss would just about put a line through their season.

How Sydney wins: With youngsters Heeney and Zak Jones finding form alongside Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker, the Swans midfield looks far more balanced. The Demons onballers struggling, so Sydney should be able to restrict the visitors' scoring opportunities.
How Melbourne wins: Players like Jack Viney, Max Gawn, Christian Petracca and Nathan Jones led the Demons revival last season and must do it again by getting back to their brand of hard-nosed footy.
The stat: The Dees are ranked third in the competition with an average of 60.3 inside 50s per game, compared to Sydney (52) who are 13th, but they can't turn that advantage into a winning score.
The match-up: Callum Sinclair v Max Gawn
The star Demon will have the advantage with his ruck work, but the Swan is more mobile and will push forward as hard and as often as he can to make Gawn accountable. If Sinclair can kick a couple of goals and break even around the ground, he'll be extremely influential for his team.
It's a big week for: Zak Jones (Sydney)
The younger brother of the Melbourne co-captain announced himself with a career-high 31 possessions and seven clearances against Carlton last week. With his speed and willingness to carry the footy, and the Dees likely to focus on Zak's high-profile teammates, he could be a dangerous weapon for Sydney.
Big call: After a solid start to the season, Parker will assert himself on this contest, especially forward, and be a match-winner with four goals.
Prediction: Sydney by 19 points

You don't want to know what will happen when we lose. Firebombs Everywhere is a hint.

Don't even with the streams on GDT.

Booked comedy fest tickets before I knew we were playing Thursday night, so will probably miss the second and third quarters at the least. Maybe not a bad thing.

Booked comedy fest tickets before I knew we were playing Thursday night, so will probably miss the second and third quarters at the least. Maybe not a bad thing.

Well at least you'll be able to laugh at something good.

Overall Summary - 40 Bounces
So of the 120 positions available at the bounce, 117 were taken up by these 4

Harmes 34
Viney 32
Oliver 32
Brayshaw 19

Thats a horrible lack of variety. 4 very similar players in at the bounce. 3 extreme ball hunters and a tagger.

Id love to see C.Wagner, Hunt, Garlett etc in their as runner. If you have Viney and Brayshaw there to win the ball, surely you can put a 3rd bloke in there who's job is to recieve the handball from one of Viney/Brayshaw/Oliver.

We just dont need 3 inside players at the same time.

Harmes 34
Viney 32
Oliver 32
Brayshaw 19

Thats a horrible lack of variety. 4 very similar players in at the bounce. 3 extreme ball hunters and a tagger.

Id love to see C.Wagner, Hunt, Garlett etc in their as runner. If you have Viney and Brayshaw there to win the ball, surely you can put a 3rd bloke in there who's job is to recieve the handball from one of Viney/Brayshaw/Oliver.

Harmes could play as more of an outside mid imo. His dash and disposal is better than Brayshaw and Viney, even Oliver at times by foot. Wouldn't mind seeing Viney return to a negating/tagging role as Oliver/Brayshaw have surpassed him. Hunt is too simplistic with his straight-line running patterns and has no side-step and Garlett has no tank, he'd blow up in minutes if in the middle. Hopefully Stretch can step up this week as an outside mid, he played well before injury last year. I thought they had KK ear marked for this position, although he needs some time to get fit enough? Really, what the hell were we doing in last years trade period to not target outside mids?

Harmes could play as more of an outside mid imo. His dash and disposal is better than Brayshaw and Viney, even Oliver at times by foot. Wouldn't mind seeing Viney return to a negating/tagging role as Oliver/Brayshaw have surpassed him. Hunt is too simplistic with his straight-line running patterns and has no side-step and Garlett has no tank, he'd blow up in minutes if in the middle. Hopefully Stretch can step up this week as an outside mid, he played well before injury last year. I thought they had KK ear marked for this position, although he needs some time to get fit enough? Really, what the hell were we doing in last years trade period to not target outside mids?
Yeah right now I’d be looking at keeping Stretch in for a good month minimum. He wasn’t too bad before he got injured last year. We just need Stretch and Hunt (and probably Harmes) on the outside of every contest waiting for the inside midfielders to feed the ball. We’ve clearly got a deficiency here but all I’ve seen since 2017 is 5 midfielders get sucked into every contest.

I’d almost be prepared for Hunt to sacrifice his defensive game and just stream forward in a straight line towards goals.

Strange feeling - I’m not even nervous, just accepting of the fact that if something bad can happen, it will happen to this club.

It’s actually a nice comfort. Takes me back to the glory days of six years ago.

Maybe you could pick up Jimmp Toumpass in the mid season draft.

I really think you misunderstood what I ment. Hunt and Garlett and that wouldnt play in the midfield, but you need to consider a centre bounce set up.

If Oliver gets the ball hes either giving it to Viney/Brayshaw or Harmes on 117 of the 120 occasions. Rotate the names around as you please in that scenario.
How about at a centre bounce we set up with a defensive sweeper and then let Oliver or Brayshaw or Viney do what they do best and chase the pill and then play the 3rd bloke as someone who wants to receive the handball and run forward with it. Not at all was I saying Hunt would be a good midfielder, what I was saying is of the 120 occasions there was a bounce, we had the exact same 4 117 bloody times. Thats just shithouse coaching.

I actually think we have similar problems in terms of getting some burst out of midfield stoppages. We are trying to solve this problem with papley and jones but i'm sure you've already made the latter a good offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think we have similar problems in terms of getting some burst out of midfield stoppages. We are trying to solve this problem with papley and jones but i'm sure you've already made the latter a good offer.

Its too late now, Jones could have come home last time his contract was up. Wont happen now.

Its too late now, Jones could have come home last time his contract was up. Wont happen now.

He's exactly what you need but are you saying you won't have the cash, even after letting Hogan go?

He's exactly what you need but are you saying you won't have the cash, even after letting Hogan go?
I'd say the interest will be there, but as TK said, if he stayed last time, seems likely he'll stay this time as well. Particularly with his brother not looking capable of playing in Round 20, let alone 2020.

Harmes 34
Viney 32
Oliver 32
Brayshaw 19

David King last night had some very interesting stats on centre clearances. On 360 I think.

Basically, this year, if you win the centre clearance, the percentage of I50s and also the percentage of goals, both increase greatly when you move from kick to handpass then kick, and increase again when you handpass + handpass + kick. 666 has lead to this increase this year in these stats.

Reiterates what you're saying above. Who do we handpass to when we have the clearance under our control? Who is the second handpass?

David King last night had some very interesting stats on centre clearances. On 360 I think.

Basically, this year, if you win the centre clearance, the percentage of I50s and also the percentage of goals, both increase greatly when you move from kick to handpass then kick, and increase again when you handpass + handpass + kick. 666 has lead to this increase this year in these stats.

Reiterates what you're saying above. Who do we handpass to when we have the clearance under our control? Who is the second handpass?

Yep was gonna post something about it when I saw it. He was saying it's the untapped area of the 6-6-6 is that you can roll the dice on more pacey types at the centre bounce. We exit the back of the stoppage and try and kick from there which leads to a shallow entry, the double handball then kick leads to you moving forward from the stoppage and a deeper entry. Its proving alot more effective for scoring

It's the same with the wings, they want to come towards the ball, we need some players who run to space

20190410_170704.jpg

20190410_170753.jpg

Yep was gonna post something about it when I saw it. He was saying it's the untapped area of the 6-6-6 is that you can roll the dice on more pacey types at the centre bounce. We exit the back of the stoppage and try and kick from there which leads to a shallow entry, the double handball then kick leads to you moving forward from the stoppage and a deeper entry. Its proving alot more effective for scoring

It's the same with the wings, they want to come towards the ball, we need some players who run to space

View attachment 652159

View attachment 652160
Yep - those stats are really interesting. A small sample of three rounds, but I think it may continue.

Couldn't agree more with having some pace around the outside waiting for that quick handball out. We used to put Garlett in there for some centre bounces I remember.

Even if it is Hunt, they don't have to be the silkiest player, just need some pace to break a line after the ball is fed out and get the forward line moving. It becomes really hard to defend when the play is moving fast.

Garlett at the bounces actually worked well I thought. He has that nimbleness to step around a player or two and at least feed it out to someone or hit up a dare i say it, 'leading forward'.

Moot point I guess, given the changes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back