Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be a little concerned using our first pick on a player coming off a knee reco. Whilst GWS or GC can probably afford to take that risk with so many other top 10 youngsters on their respective lists, I think we need to be a little more risk averse when it comes to deciding who we should take.

If we are going for a KPD, then I'd take Durdin or Goddard in front - not because I think they are better - on talent I think Lever has them both covered - but the risk of him going down again, whilst possibly being relatively low, has to still be concerning.

As it is, with Menzel, Cowan, Simpson etc etc on our list we have too many players with significant injury histories to be taking another one.

I'd be a little concerned using our first pick on a player coming off a knee reco. Whilst GWS or GC can probably afford to take that risk with so many other top 10 youngsters on their respective lists, I think we need to be a little more risk averse when it comes to deciding who we should take.
If we are going for a KPD, then I'd take Durdin or Goddard in front - not because I think they are better - on talent I think Lever has them both covered - but the risk of him going down again, whilst possibly being relatively low, has to still be concerning.
As it is, with Menzel, Cowan, Simpson etc etc on our list we have too many players with significant injury histories to be taking another one.

I'm no expert on knee recos (as distinct from knee replacements, I know lots about them :rolleyes:), but in 2013, 23 AFL players needed reconstructions, and 8 of them - ie more than 1/3rd - were re-occurrences. That seems to be a pretty high risk to me.

Cal Twomey has us taking Lever with 10

GEELONG
Pick 10:
If he's not snapped up early, there's a chance Jake Lever gets through a few spots and is available at the Cats' first pick. They chased James Frawley without success and Tom Lonergan and Jared Rivers both turned 30 this year. Lever, who missed the year after undergoing a knee reconstruction, has remained at the front of recruiters' minds through his dedicated approach to his rehabilitation.
Around the mark: Hugh Goddard, Caleb Marchbank, Paul Ahern

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/your-clubs-first-pick

Not sure about Lever bit undersized at 193cm and is coming off of a ACL
Lever has a ridiculous wing-span, something close to 204cm... so he plays taller and he's long arms will be great in marking and spoiling. agree on the knee risks

Glad we didn't take that Selwood guy a few years back then…..

Oh…hang on…..

Good point, though we do have another young player who could comment on the chances of knee recos having to be done again.
And yet another who's still to test the likelihood after having his done last season.

Of course, you're right…..Wells will go for the best footballer I hope…we need class…..(and durability! )

Can you just imagine the screams on here if we did grab him, and it relapsed, and then (perish the thought) one of our other LTI project players also.....:rolleyes:

Don't get this love for Newton.

Looks like a limited honest tryer, depth player at best. Probably not much better than schroder. Are supporters all over him just because we have been linked to him and he comes from a good team? There is nothing from the above video that made me take notice.

By all means use pick 60 on him, it's a speculative pick anyway and given he is 20, he would probably be ready to help out... But he's nothing more than a depth player during injuries, he's certainly not in our 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you and I have been voices for Durdin over Goddard, although thats not saying is a bad option. But if Lever is there he will be very hard to go past , Geelong love versatility , they love smalls that can cover tall's and Lever is that to my mind. Yes coming off a knee but you can pick a healthy player and he has injury issues once picked like Brown or pick someone with history and he is like Joel.
10 is difficult its close but not close enough to be obvious

Think you and I have been voices for Durdin over Goddard, although thats not saying is a bad option. But if Lever is there he will be very hard to go past , Geelong love versatility , they love smalls that can cover tall's and Lever is that to my mind. Yes coming off a knee but you can pick a healthy player and he has injury issues once picked like Brown or pick someone with history and he is like Joel.
10 is difficult its close but not close enough to be obvious

True. Either Goddard or Durdin could fall over in the first month you have them. Lever, could also be like Selwood, and have a long, successful career. But, it's about relative risk. As it stands today, you would think that from an injury perspective, Lever presents a much higher risk than the other two. I'm not sure his talent is so much better than the other two to justify being taken ahead of them if it comes to it. In all likelihood at least one of the three will be gone by our pick 10.

Anyone know much about the 23yo Sturt midfielder, Zane Kirkwood and clear winner of SANFL Margarey Medal (2014) by 9 votes?

He's 179cm and 82kgs.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...044409547?nk=b99df5cd691bee6d48b852f1bd8973c8
Also won the SA medal ( the Jack Oatey medal) for best afield in their state game

How does the Margarey compare to the JJ Liston?
It is the SA equivalent. Kirkwood had it wrapped up pretty early in the piece too.
Got out to a massive lead polled in something like the first 12 or 15 games of the season.

This was his first season at Sturt crossed from Port where he had played all his junior football because they were bringing in their Reserves side and Budda told him he wouldn't likely get a game. Spent the off season getting super fit and enjoyed the rewards.

Plays as an inside mid who can win his own ball, comes from a sporting family background a very down to earth kid, when he was leading the Magarey medal sent his older brother a text asking him what the hell am I supposed to say if I win? I just rocked up for the free feed

Also won the SA medal ( the Jack Oatey medal) for best afield in their state game

It is the SA equivalent. Kirkwood had it wrapped up pretty early in the piece too.
Got out to a massive lead polled in something like the first 12 or 15 games of the season.

This was his first season at Sturt crossed from Port where he had played all his junior football because they were bringing in their Reserves side and Budda told him he wouldn't likely get a game. Spent the off season getting super fit and enjoyed the rewards.

Plays as an inside mid who can win his own ball, comes from a sporting family background a very down to earth kid, when he was leading the Magarey medal sent his older brother a text asking him what the hell am I supposed to say if I win? I just rocked up for the free feed

Sorry should have elaborated... the standard... I mean we delisted a JJ Liston winner didn't we?

Yes , he sounds reasonable , the trouble is you make a case for lots of these types....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back