Geelong attempted to avoid salary cap with Tim Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Does TK have kids that are more deserving of extra funding than the kids of a normal citizen?

No, all autistic children are deserving of extra funding.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Fine to ask, but the AFL were correct in rejecting it.

That is what the NDIS is for.

Money for flights for family etc you can't really do because then that becomes more of a homesickness thing. Very exceptional circumstances but the lid has been kept s**t on the can of worms.

It is interesting though when you compare it to "ambassadorial" payments.

Listening to Cook this morning, I'm not sure if they actually wanted to pay TK extra for this, or if Cook was asking the AFL to point up a bit of cash to help the family, sorta like an AFL fraternity NDIS if you will.

That in itself is not outrageous. The AFL does aim to be inclusive and the players union drives a hard bargain for player outcomes. Including a type of insurance clause for players having difficulty (family health, personal health, special super scheme) is not ridiculous.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I would take that as more a case of getting an understanding of how much assistance the club is able to offer the family without it being considered ‘payment’ as opposed to anything underhanded. Think carers, accommodation for visiting family etc etc.

No doubt the Cats did everything they could there.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I would take that as more a case of getting an understanding of how much assistance the club is able to offer the family without it being considered ‘payment’ as opposed to anything underhanded. Think carers, accommodation for visiting family etc etc.

Eagles probably have to put on 2 full time staff now to run around cleaning up after his Missus to try and keep the campaigner happy.

and yet it still didn't stop his wife shitting on the club to the media for not doing more :(

Have you tried living on 700k a year? When my wife went on maternity leave for two years we had to scale back to one wage which was just under 700k. Basically had to live like peasants.
My wife is currently on maternity leave and I feel your pain. I haven't upgraded my car in almost 12 months and had to downgrade from a personal chef to a junior chef and he doesn't even know how to properly cook A5 wagyu MS10 with a perfect crust :(

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
and yet it still didn't stop his wife shitting on the club to the media for not doing more :(

ahh she’s probably had a rough trot of it over the last couple of years. We don’t know her personal situation (we know a bit about her kids), it’s a shame some of it played out via social media but she did cop a bit going the other way too. Not the best for anyone really.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
My wife is currently on maternity leave and I feel your pain. I haven't upgraded my car in almost 12 months and had to downgrade from a personal chef to a junior chef and he doesn't even know how to properly cook A5 wagyu MS10 with a perfect crust :(
Yuk. That’s third world right there. Good luck, I hope you get through it.

Oh and get this, we went to Europe for the winter and my wife suggested we downgraded our flights to Business class!! With the cattle!! You don’t even get a shower in Business class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
They tried to sneak it through by suggesting a footballer doesn't have enough money to support his family, and they were denied because it's ridiculous

Goodjob changing the title.

But I just don't see how you decided that asking the question is being sneaky?

They likely knew it wouldn't be allowed, but given how much other dodgy s**t the AFL allows, they thought it was worth asking the question (probably arguing that it comes under the umbrella of "player welfare").

Probably just as likely (if not moreso) they did it, and leaked it, as a PR exercise to show their fans they were trying their utmost to keep Kelly. (And it may also have exposed that Kelly's final decision may not have been primarily about his family, but more about wanting to play for West Coast)

Yuk. That’s third world right there. Good luck, I hope you get through it.

Oh and get this, we went to Europe for the winter and my wife suggested we downgraded our flights to Business class!! With the cattle!! You don’t even get a shower in Business class.
Ew, not the peasants

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
How do people with a family income of under $100k or so care for their autistic kids I wonder?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

So Geelong tried to ask the AFL to pay Tim Kelly, a rich footballer, more money outside the salary cap to keep him, because apparently he didn't have enough money to support his disabled children.

How is this acceptable? And why the hell would a player set to earn $700,000+ per year need more money outside the cap to look after his kids? That's ridiculous.

Simply, its not about the money .... never has been. That Cooky tried everything to overcome the problem , good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back