Geelong attempted to avoid salary cap with Tim Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't the City of Geelong have clinics and facilities to help with autism?

Perth isn't the only place in Australia that can help autism.

Tim Kelly moved back to Perth because Caitlyn told him to.
Family support is very different to clinical support. She would also need the support, not just her children.

but "Geelong attempted to help Tim Kelly get further assistance for his disabled children" won't help the OP try to troll Geelong
Why couldn’t Geelong just provide the appropriate assistance within the cap?

If they’ve mismanaged their cap and can’t keep a player that performs well above projections that’s not an AFL problem

So Geelong tried to ask the AFL to pay Tim Kelly, a rich footballer, more money outside the salary cap to keep him, because apparently he didn't have enough money to support his disabled children.

How is this acceptable? And why the hell would a player set to earn $700,000+ per year need more money outside the cap to look after his kids? That's ridiculous.

That’s not what that says. Nothing to do with player salary cap.

I read it that Geelong didn’t want to exceed the off the field soft cap limits (where they have to pay tax). They wanted that excluded.

So Geelong could have helped him but chose not to. They lied to Kelly before the draft that they will help him and didn’t pony up when required. I am sure they told him verbally they support him.

Looks like they are mining short memories, jade and salt in South Australia.

I seem to recall a certain "Adelaide" player getting fined 50K and missing half a season for salary cap breaches , and the club being fined 300K for breaching the salary cap and tampering with the draft.

That is the difference between asking a question, being told no and accepting the answer given, and ACTUALLY CHEATING.

I have no issue with this. Geelong asked, AFL said no, everyone moved on.

You get 100% of what you don't ask for. Geelong had nothing to lose in asking and everything to gain. There would be far more uproar if he was able to be paid outside the cap.

I have no issue with this. Geelong asked, AFL said no, everyone moved on.

You get 100% of what you don't ask for. Geelong had nothing to lose in asking and everything to gain. There would be far more uproar if he was able to be paid outside the cap.
Think it's more the nerve of asking, given the AFL ensured Dangerfield moved for unders, and played a part in both ablett negotiations to see the cats got more than they were expecting

Think it's more the nerve of asking, given the AFL ensured Dangerfield moved for unders, and played a part in both ablett negotiations to see the cats got more than they were expecting
The nerve? Star player leaving and club has ‘the nerve’ to explore all options. Right. And please tell me how the AFL ensured Danger moved for unders, and that Geelong were advantaged (as opposed to fairly compensated) in both Ablett negotiations. You must have insider knowledge or you’re just clutching to conspiracy theories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s not what that says. Nothing to do with player salary cap.

I read it that Geelong didn’t want to exceed the off the field soft cap limits (where they have to pay tax). They wanted that excluded.

So Geelong could have helped him but chose not to. They lied to Kelly before the draft that they will help him and didn’t pony up when required. I am sure they told him verbally they support him.
You can't read. Also provide proof of what Geelong said?

At least we've got proof West Coast refused to draft Tim and even initially refused to trade for him. They might have even lied to him too!

You can't read. Also provide proof of what Geelong said?

At least we've got proof West Coast refused to draft Tim and even initially refused to trade for him. They might have even lied to him too!

How is there proof when we had like 6 picks after Geelong drafted him? All it means is that Geelong picked him a few spots before us. That’s it.

Funny that, after all that, Kelly still wanted west coast. That tells me everything about how eagles treated Kelly. AND for less money.

Wce would never draft an indigenous player from interstate that has an autistic kid with twins on the way. And certainly not promise to help them pre draft and then not help them and use trivial reasons.

How is there proof when we had like 6 picks after Geelong drafted him? All it means is that Geelong picked him a few spots before us. That’s it.

Funny that, after all that, Kelly still wanted west coast. That tells me everything about how eagles treated Kelly. AND for less money.

Wce would never draft an indigenous player from interstate that has an autistic kid with twins on the way. And certainly not promise to help them pre draft and then not help them and use trivial reasons.

Lolllll
They wouldn’t draft one from their own state either apparently

lol! he wanted West Coast because they're in Perth and in a better position than Freo + Stevie Hill used to have a thing with his missus according to some AFL insiders.

Haha come on don't play the indigenous card. Does Tim even identify as indigenous? His Mum is from Chile and his Dad is 1/4 indigenous and 3/4 european. Caitlin is Anglo-Indian, it's not like they're a family that grew up out in the communties, they're from suburban Perth.

lol! he wanted West Coast because they're in Perth and in a better position than Freo + Stevie Hill used to have a thing with his missus according to some AFL insiders.

Haha come on don't play the indigenous card. Does Tim even identify as indigenous? His Mum is from Chile and his Dad is 1/4 indigenous and 3/4 european. Caitlin is Anglo-Indian, it's not like they're a family that grew up out in the communties, they're from suburban Perth.

Sure keep telling yourself that. You told him you would help him at draft time and then you reneged and didn’t. You lied to him.

We, at least never lied to him. Then you verbally attacked him and mother of his children.

Yes, he is indigenous.

"It's always been a childhood dream to wear the blue and gold."

and had the AFL granted it you can’t calling it cheating if the governing body approves it.

Cheating is doing something you’re forbidden from doing

I disagree. The AFL clearly manipulates the competition to get its desired results, just look at Sydney and GWS.

Manipulating the competition or cheating, it's the same thing

Sure keep telling yourself that. You told him you would help him at draft time and then you reneged and didn’t. You lied to him.

We, at least never lied to him. Then you verbally attacked him and mother of his children.

Yes, he is indigenous.

oh god you're so full of s**t, where is your proof of all these claims? I never verbally attacked anyone. Geelong never lied to him.

So him being indigenous means that Geelong shouldn't have recruited him? You do realise we have many other indigenous players right? Are you suggesting we just start segregating indigenous players so they can only play for specific teams? :oops:

Why couldn’t Geelong just provide the appropriate assistance within the cap?

If they’ve mismanaged their cap and can’t keep a player that performs well above projections that’s not an AFL problem

Clubs are not allowed to pay players above their rookie contract. He can sign an extension but Tim obviously didn't want to do that and Geelong consequently weren't able to give his family the support they needed without breaking AFL rules.

Yes, he is indigenous.

“This club has been great; this is a great club; I love the club. I’m forever grateful for the footy club for giving me the opportunity.

“Someone who is starved of an opportunity, overlooked for so many years, finally get my opportunity, it is something myself and my family will forever be grateful for.

“Personally, I feel like I’m in the best place possible. I love it here [Geelong]. It is going to be a tough decision and there is plenty of time for that once the season is done. For now it is just focusing on this week.”

“Ultimately it is going to come down to what’s put forward and what it means for me and my family. It is a bit hard not to look at it like that (footy vs family),” he said.

“The reality is I’ve come into the game at 23. I’m not going to have the luxury of these 15, 16, 18-year careers that some of my great teammates are having or going to have.

oh god you're so full of s**t, where is your proof of all these claims? I never verbally attacked anyone. Geelong never lied to him.

So him being indigenous means that Geelong shouldn't have recruited him? You do realise we have many other indigenous players right? Are you suggesting we just start segregating indigenous players so they can only play for specific teams? :oops:

Did I say you? Your fans.

Clearly they did lie. They told him they would help him and then they said to him they can help him only if afl compensates them.

Yes you shouldn’t have recruited an indigenous player with a kid AND twins on the way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back