Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson and a durable ruck, + the natural improvements of our younger players, we 'could' finish top 4.

2016 really is up in the air, could be good but could also be worse than this year.
How do you feel about it now that we went out and actually did all that?

I like his agility...he moves very well in traffic and doesn't seem to have a problem with the pace at senior level and he can take a mark.. His foot delivery is a worry, but with a more mature approach, along with a big preseason and a more settled approach to playing the game, and staying injury free to allow some continuity, I just think he's got something to offer. He appears well above VFL standard...

.....but in saying all this, if he doesn't do it this year, I think they will trade him out.

I think he might know this as well.

I like his agility...he moves very well in traffic and doesn't seem to have a problem with the pace at senior level and he can take a mark.. His foot delivery is a worry, but with a more mature approach, along with a big preseason and a more settled approach to playing the game, and staying injury free to allow some continuity, I just think he's got something to offer. He appears well above VFL standard...

.....but in saying all this, if he doesn't do it this year, I think they will trade him out.

I think he might know this as well.
That last bit is what I hope is his driving force this summer, knowing that Father Time is running out on his career. Just hope that Scott and Co give him a chance in a more favourable position. He isn't a defenders a-hole! He's more suited to half forward and wing. Please use him there, Scott.

I agree in the games I've seen him play he is a cut above VFL level, just hope he doesn't end up another Mitch Brown, who similarly was a cut above VFL but wasn't up to it at senior level.

Added a few new questions/predictions after the draft people may feel free to answer :)

Will we make Finals in 2016?
Who will retire end of next year?
Who could/will be traded end of next year?
Who will win our B&F for 2016?
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016?
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016?
What will the Ruck setup be?
Who do you think will surprise us most?
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016?
Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)?
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016?
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow?
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016?

Last edited:
"Duncan, runs to 50, Duncan kicks the goal!"
TFNrzg.gif

Will we make Finals in 2016? YES
Who will retire end of next year? ENRIGHT, LONERGAN & BARTEL
Who could/will be traded end of next year? SMEDTS; GHS & KERSTIN
Who will win our B&F for 2016? JOEL SELWOOD
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? GREGSON
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? DANGERFIELD
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most? MENAGOLA
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016? YES
What will the Ruck setup be? STANLEY & BLICAVS or SMITH & BLICAVS
Who do you think will surprise us most? SCOOTER
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? MENAGOLA
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? Ryan Gardner, Sam Menegola & Tom Ruggles
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? DANGERFIELD
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? KOLODJASHNIJ....yes!
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? DANGERFIELD
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? HAWKINS, but GREGSON will kick 40+ goals

Last edited:
Who will retire end of next year? ENRIGHT, LONERGAN & BARTEL
Who could/will be traded end of next year? SMEDTS; GHS & KERSTIN
Who will win our B&F for 2016? JOEL SELWOOD
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? GREGSON
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? DANGERFIELD
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most? MENAGOLA
What will the Ruck setup be? STANLEY & BLICAVS or SMITH & BLICAVS
Who do you think will surprise us most? SCOOTER
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? MENAGOLA
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? Ryan Gardner, Sam Menegola & Tom Ruggles
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? DANGERFIELD
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? KOLODJASHNIJ....yes!
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? DANGERFIELD
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? HAWKINS, but GREGSON will kick 40+ goals
How is Dangerfield getting best mid but selwood winning the best and fairest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have started to look at the draw and other teams picks/list and am currently trying to work out where we finish.

I started with the proposition - which teams are we going to better than in 2016 ? I thought Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane Lions, Melbourne and Saints for sure. These team will play better but I doubt with our new line up they should beat us. We play these teams a total of 7 times. So I would pencil in 7 wins (well I hope we beat all these sides). So that gets us off the bottom and heading towards the middle of the ladder.

Then I really do think even those these teams will be better also in 2016 - our line up with a pretty full list will are the equal of the Tigers, North, Port, Freo, Pies, Giants, Bullies, Adelaide and the Suns. We play these teams 12 times in total.

Then the better sides for me are Hawthorn, WC and Swans. We play these sides only 3 times in total (once only - good draw at last).

So really it depends then on (well most likely to depend on) how many of these 'equal sides' we beat. If we win 6-7 out 12 we make the 8. If we win 8-10 we finish top 4. Of course win less than 6 and it is likely we finish out side the 8.

I fancy, like many other AFL fans, my team will come up trumps and win at least 7 of these matches and even be competitive against the better sides.

If I was to have a stab - I think we are probably a better team (with a full list) than the Tigers, Pies, Giants and Suns. And maybe even North.

Adelaide could be a good side and is hard to judge. I think Freo will drop a bit but still be hard to beat and we play them at their home (round 17) so that could be a hard road trip. then again I will keen to see how we go against WC at home round 7.

I am a firm believer that all teams will probably be better except Hawks, Freo Swans and WC - as they are already very good and have less demands on them to improve radically. But it is by how much you improve that counts - its all relative.

But I see a 13 - 15 win season (depending on injuries or with a reasonably fit list to pick from). We have probably more upside than any other team, with a decent draw and now finally 8 home games. I think that equates to a good season and 5-8 th ranking at the end of the season. But if things fall our way we could make top 4. Its just so hard to tell what difference Smith, Scooter, Henderson and a few more games under our young guys belts will bring.

Maybe it is more about how well Kolo, Lang, Cocky and Gregson play seeing they are so young and inexperienced - and how many games we can win with quite a few very inexperienced guys in the team ? Or if Duncan, Clark, Vardy, Stanley and Clark can all stay fit ?

I like our side a lot but there are still some IFS and BUTS around that need be answered. But I am prepared to answer the phone because I am expecting some good news.

Last edited:
Who will retire end of next year? LONERGAN, ENRIGHT, BARTEL
Who could/will be traded end of next year? SMEDTS, GHS, MURDOCH
Who will win our B&F for 2016? 1. JELWOOD 2. DUNCAN 3. DANGERFIELD
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? THURLOW
What will the Ruck setup be? STANLEY/VARDY
Who do you think will surprise us most? SMITH
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? CORNELL
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? TWO: CORNELL, MENEGOLA
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? DANGERFIELD-JELWOOD TIE
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? TAYLOR
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? GUTHRIE
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? MOTLOP

as much as everyone else who follows this great club.

I agree with you but I reckon Bartel was a lot more spectacular. Very much like Nathan Fyfe was his marking whereas Ablett was better at ground level like Dangerfield. Then again, Bartel was just as brilliant that year too.

And it was very easy to be 'Ablett conscious' because of his great name and expectations that came from being an Ablett. We all wanted him to be as spectacular or as good as his dad, although I do not think many really believed he could be. So maybe some of us where watching 'him more' than Bartel ?

I remember watching a game that year and the commentator Dennis Cometti said during a game that Bartel was his smoky for the Brownlow. Now he is an impartial judge compared to me.

And it was very easy to be 'Ablett conscious' because of his great name and expectations that came from being an Ablett. We all wanted him to be as spectacular or as good as his dad, although I do not think many really believed he could be. So maybe some of us where watching 'him more' than Bartel ?

I remember watching a game that year and the commentator Dennis Cometti said during a game that Bartel was his smoky for the Brownlow. Now he is an impartial judge compared to me.

In my opinion, Bartel was clearly better in the first half of the season (despite the media over-hyping of Ablett), and the only question was whether Ablett could catch up to him in the 2nd half. As it happened, Bartel answered that question with another 2 or 3 clear BOGs late in the season.

Though I don't actually think Cometti is impartial when it comes to Bartel.:D

In my opinion, Bartel was clearly better in the first half of the season (despite the media over-hyping of Ablett), and the only question was whether Ablett could catch up to him in the 2nd half. As it happened, Bartel answered that question with another 2 or 3 clear BOGs late in the season.

Though I don't actually think Cometti is impartial when it comes to Bartel.:D

Good call. Went and checked stats and you've covered it well. Jimmy was racking up 30+ on a regular basis. Jnr didn't get into gear until mid-year and jimmy finished off well. Remember Jimmy's game vs Roos at Etihad in Rd 20 and he had 38. That's when I thought he was a sneaky chance.

Good call. Went and checked stats and you've covered it well. Jimmy was racking up 30+ on a regular basis. Jnr didn't get into gear until mid-year and jimmy finished off well. Remember Jimmy's game vs Roos at Etihad in Rd 20 and he had 38. That's when I thought he was a sneaky chance.

This goes to illustrate the difference between perception and reality.

But I like my perception ! :).

Reality is that you would have had just as sound an argument for Jnr. Very hard to predict how umpires will vote.

That's true, the thing that always puzzled me was why, after probably getting it right in 2007, the umpires suddenly started to so consistently under-rate Bartel in 2008-09. Not that he should have won in those years, and he probably also had more Geelong competition, but he was still definitely under-voted, in my opinion.

That's true, the thing that always puzzled me was why, after probably getting it right in 2007, the umpires suddenly started to so consistently under-rate Bartel in 2008-09. Not that he should have won in those years, and he probably also had more Geelong competition, but he was still definitely under-voted, in my opinion.
In many ways I thought his 08 was his best season.

Back