2nds Geelong Cats 2018 VFL Season - Tom Atkins B&F Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

He is coming from a fair way back, especially in a physical sense. I get your point, but you don't expect pick 57 to exactly shred it up in their first few VFL games.
That's true and I apologise If I'm coming across as a little harsh but I don't see the attributes there that convinces me he'll make it.

And this is why I get a bit irritated when people on this board suggest that Jermaine Jones should be rushed into the senior side.

The 9 tackles (2nd most behind Atkins) is probably a reason people want him in.

That's true and I apologise If I'm coming across as a little harsh but I don't see the attributes there that convinces me he'll make it.
No, I see where you're coming from and I get the same vibes. That said, I would have said the same about Chapman in 2000 as well - small forward who is short, slow, reasonable goal sense though...

And this is why I get a bit irritated when people on this board suggest that Jermaine Jones should be rushed into the senior side.
To be fair to him. He had endeavour to impact the game, as evidenced by 9 tackles but there was parts of the game where we barely saw the ball inside 50 as well.

8 touches is light but the effort is there. If we can win the ball out of the middle cleanly on Saturday I hope he can show what he's capable of.

To be fair to him. He had endeavour to impact the game, as evidenced by 9 tackles but there was parts of the game where we barely saw the ball inside 50 as well.

8 touches is light but the effort is there. If we can win the ball out of the middle cleanly on Saturday I hope he can show what he's capable of.
CMIA reckons they want him in soon. He's been right before.

GEELONG v. FOOTSCRAY, Round 3 – 21/04/2018, 02:00PM, GMHBA Stadium

Geelong

B: 15. M. Hayball, 20. R. Gardner, 54. S. Siggins
HB: 23. A. Black, 30. T. House, 62. C. Floyd
C: 42. M. O’Connor, 33. G. Horlin-Smith, 56. B. Reid
HF: 41. J. Jones, 36. S. Crameri, 55. L. Kiel
F: 45. R. Abbott, 12. W. Buzza, 32. G. Miers
R: 9. Z. Smith, 64. T. Atkins, 18. C. Constable
Int: 63. S. Dobson, 74. J. Gow, 66. A. Grace, 39. Z. Guthrie, 52. N. Horbury, 68. H. Kol, 65. S. McLachlan, 51. J. Tsitas
23P: 78. J. McLachlan

In: S. McLachlan, J. Gow, A. Grace, S. Dobson, Z. Guthrie
Out: J. Thurlow

GEELONG v. FOOTSCRAY, Round 3 – 21/04/2018, 02:00PM, GMHBA Stadium

Geelong

B: 15. M. Hayball, 20. R. Gardner, 54. S. Siggins
HB: 23. A. Black, 30. T. House, 62. C. Floyd
C: 42. M. O’Connor, 33. G. Horlin-Smith, 56. B. Reid
HF: 41. J. Jones, 36. S. Crameri, 55. L. Kiel
F: 45. R. Abbott, 12. W. Buzza, 32. G. Miers
R: 9. Z. Smith, 64. T. Atkins, 18. C. Constable
Int: 63. S. Dobson, 74. J. Gow, 66. A. Grace, 39. Z. Guthrie, 52. N. Horbury, 68. H. Kol, 65. S. McLachlan, 51. J. Tsitas
23P: 78. J. McLachlan

In: S. McLachlan, J. Gow, A. Grace, S. Dobson, Z. Guthrie
Out: J. Thurlow

Reckon Zuthrie will travel to Adelaide as the non playing emergency

What you reckon of Simpson last year Catswhiskers?
I know we only rookied him but from the small amount of VFL I saw last year I reckon he could have a higher ceiling than all the 2016 draftees.
Showed a few flashes of brilliance.

He shows plenty of footy nous IMO.

Needs body mass of course but he showed poise at times, clean by hand and foot (but doesn't have the big leg Cunico always had). When he caught the eye it was his movement trough traffic and then the dish off.

OK pace but not quick, OK overhead for a mid type.

When I went to Colac for the practice match Simpson was limping noticeably (as a spectator). Bad time for an injury as he has fallen to the back of a long queue ATM.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to remember we dont know what the coaching staff are actually looking at. They could see someone who gets a lot of ball yet their game is not compatible to AFL. There are also players who get very little ball but their game style is more suitable for AFL

He shows plenty of footy nous IMO.

Needs body mass of course but he showed poise at times, clean by hand and foot (but doesn't have the big leg Cunico always had). When he caught the eye it was his movement trough traffic and then the dish off.

OK pace but not quick, OK overhead for a mid type.

When I went to Colac for the practice match Simpson was limping noticeably (as a spectator). Bad time for an injury as he has fallen to the back of a long queue ATM.
Yeah it's the getting through traffic I noticed.

I’ll be interested to know how Black goes playing back if he does.
Who do people think could be in the radar from our vfl team?
Siggins yes are the ones from last year still possible for next draft?
Atkins
Dobson
Tsistas
McLachlan
Floyd

If they wanted him in then this week would have been perfect with Gregson getting injured. Maybe they don't
Yeah Maybe. See how he goes today. Gonna be nice weather, bit easier to get a gauge on where he's at.
Faark he can apply pressure and tackle when he gets in the zone.
Goes off his nut.

It would seem the club rate wafl talent above these guys.
Yeah and you can’t argue with the two we’ve got from there. Kelly and Menegola were dominate across the league not just their club I guess. Atkins could be a handy player but might need to find a spot forward or back. Don’t know if he’d make it as an afl midfielder.

GFC: 2.1.13 WB: 2.2.14 QT

Smith getting a good workout v Campbell and Roughead. His effort is up, working hard around the ground.
Miers and Jones more lively in this quarter than all of last week.
Gardner, Siggins, Black and House all in defence. 3 on and 1 bench at all times. Gardner and House have taken Trengove/Campbell for the most part.
Crameri in the midfield again and got a few touches. Looks better than last week.
Constable quiet.

Ball use in general play and kicking I50 has been lax however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back