AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have a practice match vs Kangas in the next few weeks?

Don't know about that, but we have a practice match this coming Saturday 19th January vs Carlton @ Carlton, time yet to be confirmed.

GEELONG has named a squad of 24 for Saturday’s AFL Women’s practice match against Carlton at Ikon Park.
The Cats have opted not to play captain Mel Hickey (knee) and ruck Erin Hoare (foot), with both at the back end of recovery from long-term injuries.
However, both are expected to be right for Geelong’s historic first game against Collingwood at GMHBA Stadium on February 2.
Hickey told krockfootball.com.au when named captain on December 13 she wasn’t planning on playing the Blues.
“(It is) probably a little bit ahead of where we want to be; I’ve got a little bit of time up my sleeve, which is good,” she said.
Also missing will be No.2 draft pick Sophie Van De Heuvel (cricket), rookie Maddy McMahon (foot), Hayley Trevean (hip) and Hannah Burchell (knee).
The match-up with the Blues is the only hitout the Cats will have before taking on the Magpies in just over a fortnight.
Twitter: @tom_king79
GEELONG AFLW SQUAD

No. Player Name
1 Rene Caris
2 Danielle Orr
4 Cassie Blakeway
5 Jordan Ivey
6 Julia Crockett-Grills
7 Mia-Rae Clifford
8 Kate Darby
9 Nina Morrison
10 Georgie Rankin
11 Meghan McDonald
12 Renee Garing
13 Maighan Fogas
14 Aasta O’Connor
16 Olivia Purcell
17 Georgia Clarke
21 Becky Webster
23 Phoebe McWilliams
25 Elise Coventry
26 Maddie Boyd
28 Denby Taylor
30 Richelle Cranston
40 Anna Teague
44 Bec Goring
45 Maddy Keryk

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/womens-football/hickey-miss-practice-match/

Question to the mods - would it be appropriate to have the title of this thread updated to reflect that we are no longer discussing being granted an AFLW team to now actually discussing the 2019 AFLW season or should we start a new thread for the 2019 season (and maybe move all posts from around page 28 which is when posts on the 2018 season finished & talk for the 2019 season started)?

Just thinking that removing "Granted" from the thread title could remove any confusion about what this thread is now discussing which is the impending season.

Cheers

Question to the mods - would it be appropriate to have the title of this thread updated to reflect that we are no longer discussing being granted an AFLW team to now actually discussing the 2019 AFLW season or should we start a new thread for the 2019 season (and maybe move all posts from around page 28 which is when posts on the 2018 season finished & talk for the 2019 season started)?

Just thinking that removing "Granted" from the thread title could remove any confusion about what this thread is now discussing which is the impending season.

Cheers
Good idea and done. :thumbsu:

For each game of the AFLW season we can do a single thread that will encompasses Preview, Gameday and Review/Autopsy discussion in the short term. Once the threads develop in size and participation, we can separate them out as needed.

If you have any other suggestions as to what you or anyone would like to see please let us know.

GFC MODS.

Go Catters

A short but really good read about how we got to where we are by doing things "The Geelong Way"

The buy-in from members of the local community, each with their commemorative tickets in an AFLW first, typified the commitment the Cats first displayed back in 2015.

Former Geelong head of football Steve Hocking, who spoke at the pre-game function in his new role as AFL football operations boss, revisited a moment that took place in the bowels of the new Brownlow Stand during its redevelopment.
"At one stage we took (CEO) Brian (Cook) downstairs to show him through on a tour," Hocking told an audience that included AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, Cats men's coach Chris Scott and former Victorian Premier Steve Bracks.
"We got to the back end of the tour and there was a hole in the ground next to all these other pools.
"He looked at me and said, 'What's that?' I said 'That's another pool.' He said, 'How the hell did you get that through (budget)?
"It was about a million-dollar spend.
"It was one of the many things we tried to do with four-and-a-half-thousand square metres (for the women's program).
"Thinking ahead, we recognised there was always going to be multiple programs operating through here."

As the stadium redevelopment forged ahead throughout 2016, Hocking and Cook watched on as the first AFLW season took place in 2017 without the Cats among the initial intake of eight clubs.
The pair went about adding resources to Geelong's football home to ensure the club wouldn't miss out a second time.
Fast-forward to July 28, 2017, and Hocking and seven other Geelong representatives found themselves at AFL headquarters.
Knowing the AFL committee they would be presenting to included eight faces, Hocking wanted to send eight members of the working party up the highway to match one-for-one.
"We finally trotted up the road and got into the big house, sat in the boardroom and we went to work.
"Interestingly since, talking to Gill, said to me 'It was a risky move, no CEO and no president there to get involved' and we just talked about the reasons for that.
"It was a genuine reflection of what was going on at Geelong and that was that the key people were actually working in it. Rather than rolling the president and CEO out, it was rolling out a team of people who were able to bring it to life.
"That's the Geelong way."

https://womens.afl/news/15877/-the-geelong-way-delivers-a-night-to-remember

What a cracker game! So proud of our women, I thought the Pies looked good and battled really admirably, but we dug deep and held our composure in a nailbiter.

All the more impressive given we were down three of our more experienced players in Hickey, McWilliams and Cranston. It was a mix of old and new that stood up, with our top two picks at the forefront.

Morrison already looks a level above, deftly handling a couple of silky pick ups, whilst her evasion in traffic was top notch. She finished top possession gatherer off half back, although her tank saw her all over the ground - including lining up for the sealer. A getable major, her wayward point was easily overlooked given her overall output and the end result of the match.

Purcell is a workhorse. And that is not to say her skills are no good, she distributed smartly, but her workrate was awesome. Her tackling and presence around the ball brought us back into the game after the Pies initial run, and she was also prominent in the high pressure last.

Goring and McDonald were rocks in defence, while up front Maddy Boyd took her opportunities without a second foil, ending up top scorer with two sausage rolls.

O'Connor dominated the much taller Layton in the ruck, who appeared lost at times. Layton hasn't played a game before and O'Connor took advantage, roaming free and adding an extra target around the ground.

Other notable mentions where Garing, who was channeling Max Rourke, tackling like a demon and throwing her body on every grenade available. Keryk also had a fine game, especially when the heat was on.

For any wondering, we do seem to be employing a defensively based setup pushing extras into the backline and running it out in numbers. A few times we were left with no forward options to kick to as we spread from our half back. I think that needs to change, especially with Morrison on half back distributing by foot - we looked like we made it difficult for ourselves at times, and it stifled Boyd's chances in much the same way we see it happen with Hawkins. Both Black and Stewart were trained that way, and Hood has been following the AFL structures in the VFL for a while, so I guess it's no surprise. We should have exploited the Pies being down a player and ran out the game better than them, but we seem to have to work twice as hard covering ground with our current setup.

To end on two upsides, the focus on winning contested ball was obvious. We smashed them last night, and it is pleasing to see how willing and competitive all our women were. For pretty much a VFL graduate team, they certainly look up to the increased speed and physicality. That will only improve with the inclusion of Cranston and Hickey.

The Geelong crowd also seemed to be excellent, which is fantastic, and certainly added to the tv atmosphere at least. Well done locals!

I expect next week's game against the premiers to be a winnable proposition. I also watched their game against the Crows and thought they were lucky to win (Crows kicked 1.11 🤯). The Dogs looked pretty disorganised at times, and seemed to have a lot of passengers. If they play that way next week our hardworking runners will have them for breakfast.

What a cracker game! So proud of our women, I thought the Pies looked good and battled really admirably, but we dug deep and held our composure in a nailbiter.

All the more impressive given we were down three of our more experienced players in Hickey, McWilliams and Cranston. It was a mix of old and new that stood up, with our top two picks at the forefront.

Morrison already looks a level above, deftly handling a couple of silky pick ups, whilst her evasion in traffic was top notch. She finished top possession gatherer off half back, although her tank saw her all over the ground - including lining up for the sealer. A getable major, her wayward point was easily overlooked given her overall output and the end result of the match.

Purcell is a workhorse. And that is not to say her skills are no good, she distributed smartly, but her workrate was awesome. Her tackling and presence around the ball brought us back into the game after the Pies initial run, and she was also prominent in the high pressure last.

Goring and McDonald were rocks in defence, while up front Maddy Boyd took her opportunities without a second foil, ending up top scorer with two sausage rolls.

O'Connor dominated the much taller Layton in the ruck, who appeared lost at times. Layton hasn't played a game before and O'Connor took advantage, roaming free and adding an extra target around the ground.

Other notable mentions where Garing, who was channeling Max Rourke, tackling like a demon and throwing her body on every grenade available. Keryk also had a fine game, especially when the heat was on.

For any wondering, we do seem to be employing a defensively based setup pushing extras into the backline and running it out in numbers. A few times we were left with no forward options to kick to as we spread from our half back. I think that needs to change, especially with Morrison on half back distributing by foot - we looked like we made it difficult for ourselves at times, and it stifled Boyd's chances in much the same way we see it happen with Hawkins. Both Black and Stewart were trained that way, and Hood has been following the AFL structures in the VFL for a while, so I guess it's no surprise. We should have exploited the Pies being down a player and ran out the game better than them, but we seem to have to work twice as hard covering ground with our current setup.

To end on two upsides, the focus on winning contested ball was obvious. We smashed them last night, and it is pleasing to see how willing and competitive all our women were. For pretty much a VFL graduate team, they certainly look up to the increased speed and physicality. That will only improve with the inclusion of Cranston and Hickey.

The Geelong crowd also seemed to be excellent, which is fantastic, and certainly added to the tv atmosphere at least. Well done locals!

I expect next week's game against the premiers to be a winnable proposition. I also watched their game against the Crows and thought they were lucky to win (Crows kicked 1.11 🤯). The Dogs looked pretty disorganised at times, and seemed to have a lot of passengers. If they play that way next week our hardworking runners will have them for breakfast.
And hearing the theme song at the end was just as good as the 'real thing'!

As someone that doesn't watch any TV other than AFL, my choices last night given I'm in recovery were,buffering movies on Fox,AM radio wog ball,someone preaching God or rugby rubbish.I was grateful for AFLW last night and started watching more as a curiosity but the girls were good value,loved the tackling our girl wearing number 2 don't know her name is a little Wojo super quick and cleaver,will watch again,and agree with others some good sorts among them as well,will watch again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone that doesn't watch any TV other than AFL, my choices last night given I'm in recovery were,buffering movies on Fox,AM radio wog ball,someone preaching God or rugby rubbish.I was grateful for AFLW last night and started watching more as a curiosity but the girls were good value,loved the tackling our girl wearing number 2 don't know her name is a little Wojo super quick and cleaver,will watch again,and agree with others some good sorts among them as well,will watch again.

Danielle Orr is #2
ORR_Danielle_m.png

"Strong forward, Danielle Orr will make her AFLW debut with the Geelong Cats’ in 2019. Orr secured Geelong’s’ second leading goal scorer in the VFLW team throughout the 2017 season after playing every game which ultimately supported her locking in a contract to play in the AFLW season. Orr was a successful GFL netballer before switching back to football in 2017. She has excellent agility and evasiveness and is a penetrating left foot kick."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/player-profile/danielle-orr

There are some very beautiful women in our AFLW team - it's actually good that the male supporters now have the chance to appreciate the beauty, athleticism + skills of AFLW players. One of the most wonderful stats of AFL is there are: 50% male supporters; + 50% female supporters. Us. . .female supporters have had the good fortune to ogle *Ooops* I mean, appreciate the athleticism, skills + super hot bods physiques of the AFL players. Equality for men is good, isn't it?

BTW, I've found all the guys' comments about the AFLW players' beauty, on our Geelong board, very respectful + tasteful.

The skies are emptying upon Sydney's Drummoyne Oval* + play is delayed.

*Drummoyne Oval was my bowling debut, coached by Dennis Lillee + Bob Massie, second ball of my first over, I bowled Greg Chappell out!

Asking the question again, is there an Oppo Game Thread for AFLW?

Brilliant + inspirational post, Ricketz. Enjoyed your player observations + summary of the game.

And hearing the theme song at the end was just as good as the 'real thing'!

Twice ATSAM! Didn't they enjoy sing the Club song after their historic victory?

Good to see women having a go at footy but hell it's boring only seeing a hand full of goals scored for an entire game.

Good to see women having a go at footy but hell it's boring only seeing a hand full of goals scored for an entire game.
I'm guessing the they said the same thing 120+ years ago when the mens game was just starting out & they were producing similar score lines

Let the game grow, the players have better development pathways from a younger age & things like higher scoring games will sort themselves out

I'm guessing the they said the same thing 120+ years ago when the mens game was just starting out & they were producing similar score lines

Let the game grow, the players have better development pathways from a younger age & things like higher scoring games will sort themselves out
Lets hope so, i'm not against AFLW i go and support the girls at my local footy club every week, i just want to see a better spectacle at AFLW level.

Mmmm...

North Melbourne has been delivered an injury blow, with promising forward Ash Riddell ruled out for at least six weeks.

Riddell will undergo surgery on her right ankle later this week — the collateral damage from a bump that took place 40 metres off the ball.
GWS Giant Nicola Barr was offered a one-match ban for her offence, but that will do little to console the emerging Kangaroo, who has fallen victim to the dreaded syndesmosis injury.

So we have bumped that was 40m off the ball, it resulted in the player who was on the receiving end potentially missing the rest of the season and the "bumper" being sent straight to the tribunal - their suspension is 1 week.

Maybe Rocky is to our women's team what Hawkins is to our men's team - used to make an example of to the league and then we see inconsistency in the weeks that follow.

Sorry but I'd deem a hit/bump that occurs 40m of the ball is less warranted in our game than a player making a tackle in the middle of the action - doesn't matter if it's the men's or women's game, actions that occur that far off the ball are unnecessary & what should be getting stamped out.

After all that - good luck to the North youngster in her recovery

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...p/news-story/eae07dbd87baa3302b115e95a9b0d151

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back