AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For finals?
That seems a bit strange.
For next year... There is a limit of 4 girls that can be recruited by the new clubs ... they were talking about it on SEN ... The brisbane FF has been signed by Richmond and I think they said 22 on the list for us. 4 new teams but one would suspect it would mainly be sainst and tigers .. its complicated by having 1 year only contracts.

strong and impressive ..?

Calling it out for what it is...
"These people need to be called out by the AFL, yes, but take it further. This is the start of domestic violence, maybe this is the start of abuse and the comments that I saw were sexual abuse. It was repulsive and it made me uncomfortable.
"Whether it's Victoria Police or whatever it is, need to contact these people and give them some sort of warning. Facebook need to delete them and something needs to happen.
"We can talk about it as much as we want, but they are not listening. And [the trolls] are probably smiling about it because we're talking about it."

For next year... There is a limit of 4 girls that can be recruited by the new clubs ... they were talking about it on SEN ... The brisbane FF has been signed by Richmond and I think they said 22 on the list for us. 4 new teams but one would suspect it would mainly be sainst and tigers .. its complicated by having 1 year only contracts.
Aaaah. Got it.

I know we've all seen the image, but thought a few of the tweets were worth posting (as I was going to do last night).

The third tweet where they have logised the image reminds me a bit of the American leagues like NBA, WNBA & NHL, but I think it would make a pretty good logo for the league

"These people need to be called out by the AFL, yes, but take it further. This is the start of domestic violence, maybe this is the start of abuse and the comments that I saw were sexual abuse. It was repulsive and it made me uncomfortable.
"Whether it's Victoria Police or whatever it is, need to contact these people and give them some sort of warning. Facebook need to delete them and something needs to happen.
"We can talk about it as much as we want, but they are not listening. And [the trolls] are probably smiling about it because we're talking about it."

I think Darcy Vescio had a well worded response (Twitter) to the issue:

Deleting the post is giving in to trolls. Also, you’re eliminating all the positive conversation. Also, you’re removing more content around women in sport - which there’s already so little of.

It’s up to everyone to moderate hate.

I think Darcy Vescio had a well worded response (Twitter) to the issue:

Deleting the post is giving in to trolls. Also, you’re eliminating all the positive conversation. Also, you’re removing more content around women in sport - which there’s already so little of.

It’s up to everyone to moderate hate.

Certainly. And, while I can entirely understand Harris being furious about what has transpired, calling the protagonists 'animals' is hardly going to help to moderate hate.

I believe you can stand strongly against actions you find repulsive without resorting to this sort of language which only serves to fuel the fire of hostility and division.

Calling people out doesn't have to be calling people names.

:drunk:

Certainly. And, while I can entirely understand Harris being furious about what has transpired, calling the protagonists 'animals' is hardly going to help to moderate hate.

I believe you can stand strongly against actions you find repulsive without resorting to this sort of language which only serves to fuel the fire of hostility and division.

Calling people out doesn't have to be calling people names.
Or, they actually are animals.
Taylor's agent said that she has been copping this abuse for ages, and not just on media sites.

Or, they actually are animals.
Taylor's agent said that she has been copping this abuse for ages, and not just on media sites.

I don't know any animals that can type a coherent obscene message on a social media platform.

No matter how incensed people get at the behaviour of others, dehumanising those with whom we are outraged is clearly not going to assist in having them change their ways.

Heaping on shame is simply not a pathway to promoting viable and lasting change in any person's life.

I don't know any animals that can type a coherent obscene message on a social media platform.

No matter how incensed people get at the behaviour of others, dehumanising those with whom we are outraged is clearly not going to assist in having them change their ways.

Heaping on shame is simply not a pathway to promoting viable and lasting change in any person's life.
Your message of peace is admirable.
But excuse me for not wanting to reach out to cowardly, mysoginistic trolls.

Your message of peace is admirable.
But excuse me for not wanting to reach out to cowardly, mysoginistic trolls.

Excused.

My point is simply that continuing to call those who engage in this awful pastime by those names (however true you might believe them to be) is only going to reinforce more and more of the same.

I would prefer that there be a real conversation where people are invited to truly consider the hurt they are causing and then provide opportunity for them to authentically own their behaviour.

It's the only way I've ever seen people make deep and sincere efforts to actually improve themselves.

Without it, you're left with the same behaviour and the reality of then feeling compelled to call people those same names forever and a day.

Hate doesn't drive out hate.

Last edited:
Excused.

My point is simply that continuing to call those who engage in this awful pastime by those names (however true you might believe them to be) is only going to reinforce more and more of the same.

I would prefer that there be a real conversation where people are invited to truly consider the hurt they are causing and then provide opportunity for them to authentically own their behaviour.

It's the only way I've ever seen people make deep and sincere efforts to actually improve themselves.

Without it, you're left with the same behaviour and the reality of then feeling compelled to call people those same names forever and a day.

Hate doesn't drive out hate.
Hate doesn't drive out hate, but this doesn't mean you are required to be polite or even civil to those that deliberately anger you.

Expression of justifiable anger is both useful, and obviously, justifiable, and more importantly, effective.

From families, to business, letting people see how much they have upset you is often far more effective than a polite debate.

This doesnt mean violence is tolerated, but you don't need to be violent to express anger.

Her language, given its target, and the behaviour, is appropriate in my opinion, and it certainly had an effect. Hopefully a few posters will think twice before posting on 7 or AFL accounts. Theyre after a reaction, but possibly not this much of one.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McWilliams won't be playing. Busted hand.
s**t (only word that didn't autocorrect)

Guess that helps answer the question of too many talls

hmm, gotta question the injury management here; C09 you mentioned 3 weeks ago that McWilliams's hand was stuffed (the bird-claw!) - she's obviously copped a knock on an already-dodgy hand and now it is nigh on unusable no doubt - perhaps more conservative management might have seen her available to play this week, who knows ... ?

Same thing with the Bec Webster ankle injury; I saw her limping in the 1st quarter of the Rd 3 Crows game, and yet she was still limping around in the last quarter - and then missed the rest of the season ... I generally trust that the club and the club's doctors are in the best position to assess these things, but it seems in both those cases there was a compounding element to their ongoing injury problems..

Hate doesn't drive out hate, but this doesn't mean you are required to be polite or even civil to those that deliberately anger you.

I never said anyone was required to do that. I simply suggested that lacking civility in our interactions (even with those with whom we stridently disagree) will mostly result in a return of the very same. Often with interest.

From families, to business, letting people see how much they have upset you is often far more effective than a polite debate.

I understand that is your view. Even so, letting people see much they have upset you doesn't need to result in calling them names. I simply can't conceive how anyone can believe that calling people perjorative names is going to lead to positive outcomes.

This doesnt mean violence is tolerated, but you don't need to be violent to express anger.

Exactly. Yet I believe calling people contemptuous names (or less than human, as has happened in this case) does constitute an act of violence.

This has happened under extreme provocation, I agree. And you can suggest it is entirely justified.

But I don't see how 'returning fire' is ever likely to do anything to truly change a person's mindset.

And I believe we're much more likely to eradicate these attitudes through greater dialogue and shared understanding than by simply naming and shaming perpetrators.

Our corrective institutions are currently replete with repeat offenders who have been named and shamed ad infinitum. Hasn't made much difference at all to their prospect of recidivism. In fact, it has probably increased it (as they see themselves living out precisely what wider society has proclaimed them to be).

And I fear the same outcome if our response to abhorrent social media posting is simply punitive and disdainful.

When you call a person an animal, how would you then expect them to behave?

Is that 22 before the draft or 22 in total? If it's the latter, it's pretty stupid. What happens if a team has 4 or 5 injuries? They just go into a game undermanned?

Is that 22 before the draft or 22 in total? If it's the latter, it's pretty stupid. What happens if a team has 4 or 5 injuries? They just go into a game undermanned?

winty .. Id like to have more info..but I believe its reducing it 22 Pre draft. so the four that we lose to Rich,Stk etc doesn't include the players we normally have to delist.
I feel for all the girls that are only on a 1 year contract that go interstate etc. MBoyd has done it hard 3 teams in 3 years.. so the whole comp has still got a bit of growing to do
and considering most of the geelong focus is local.. who gets delisted this year.. who gets recruited to other clubs.

hmm, gotta question the injury management here; C09 you mentioned 3 weeks ago that McWilliams's hand was stuffed (the bird-claw!) - she's obviously copped a knock on an already-dodgy hand and now it is nigh on unusable no doubt - perhaps more conservative management might have seen her available to play this week, who knows ... ?

Same thing with the Bec Webster ankle injury; I saw her limping in the 1st quarter of the Rd 3 Crows game, and yet she was still limping around in the last quarter - and then missed the rest of the season ... I generally trust that the club and the club's doctors are in the best position to assess these things, but it seems in both those cases there was a compounding element to their ongoing injury problems..

She mentioned it in the podcast that it happened in game ... for whats that worth.

The way we seem to bring the ball in Im not sure we will miss her too much.. we seem to really setup to make it hard on forwards. Our lowest percentage .. would tat have us as the lowest scoring side?

I look forward to see if we recruit and draft mids or dow try to improve our forwardline

winty .. Id like to have more info..but I believe its reducing it 22 Pre draft. so the four that we lose to Rich,Stk etc doesn't include the players we normally have to delist.
I feel for all the girls that are only on a 1 year contract that go interstate etc. MBoyd has done it hard 3 teams in 3 years.. so the whole comp has still got a bit of growing to do
and considering most of the geelong focus is local.. who gets delisted this year.. who gets recruited to other clubs.

based on 2018 rules (and they may well have been updated) you'd be right Turbo - lists are at 27 (plus rookies - I think 3 spots available) and last year clubs had to delist 5 players each (which does seem a lot, ratio-wise).
I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding 5 players to move along, if we're relatively ruthless (we won't be).

She mentioned it in the podcast that it happened in game ... for whats that worth.

The way we seem to bring the ball in Im not sure we will miss her too much.. we seem to really setup to make it hard on forwards. Our lowest percentage .. would tat have us as the lowest scoring side?

I look forward to see if we recruit and draft mids or dow try to improve our forwardline

according to Cats09 Phoebe's hand has been cactus for weeks anyway, and she's certainly had little impact over the past two matches - at her best - fit - McWilliams is a real threat up forward, but as you say, our game style doesn't really cater to tall forwards.

From krock - I know it refers to VFLW but also relevant to our AFLW team:

HAYLEY Trevean has set her sights on a return to playing in Geelong’s opening VFLW clash of 2019 after undergoing surgery on a broken finger.
The 30-year-old, who is one of only two players on the Cats’ AFLW list not to feature in their inaugural season, went under the knife in late February after getting her finger caught in an opponent’s jumper in a VFL practice match a couple of weeks before.
“It twisted and dislocated and broke in a few different places, so it was a bit all over the shop,” Treaven said of the damage to the ring finger on her right hand.

“I immediately felt it. It didn’t hurt, but I looked down, and my finger was pointing in the opposite direction, so I knew that I’d done something wrong.
“The doctors tried to get it back into place, but it wouldn’t quite go because it was a bit broken in a few different spots.

“They put a couple of pins in there, so it’s looking pretty good and I’m on track with the recovery and rehab.”

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/hayley-hoping-vflw-return/

Some great news out of the AFLW regarding player contracts etc:

NAB AFL Women's clubs will be able to offer two-season contracts for the first time during the sign and trade period from April 8-18.
For the past three years, clubs have only been able to sign players for one season at a time.
The move to one and two-season contracts will help stabilise club lists after the two expansion periods, with Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast entering ahead of the 2020 competition. North Melbourne and Geelong joined this season.
Teams can decide how many two-season contracts they offer, however, players selected in the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft can only be offered one-season contracts.
This is to ensure stronger draftees are paid their worth in the second season of their AFLW careers and are not locked into a low-tier contract.
For the 2019 season, AFLW player payments were split into four tiers:
  • Tier 1: $24,600
  • Tier 2: $19,000
  • Tier 3: $16,200
  • Tier 4: $13,400
When the 2019 Collective Bargaining Agreement was announced, the AFLPA said its agreement with the AFL had been reached on "key financial matters through to the end of the 2022 season to give the industry certainly and security".
Clubs can re-sign up to 22 players and can also retain up to two 2019 rookie-listed players as rookies for the 2020 season.
Expansion clubs can sign up to four players from the Victorian clubs, Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney, and up to eight from Brisbane and Fremantle.
Up until now, Brisbane and Fremantle have been the only AFLW sides in their respective states and with a state-based draft in place, have effectively had exclusive access to players nominating to play in those particular regions.
After the draft (date yet to be determined, but generally in October), clubs will have lists of 30 players including three rookies (players not listed with an Australian Football club in the previous three years).

AFLW All Australian Squad nominations - final team of 21 including a captain and vice-captain will be announced at the W Awards in Melbourne on Tuesday, April 2. Congrats to all nominated, especially Meg (surely a lock) & Maddy

2019 Virgin Australia AFL Women's All Australian squad
Adelaide
: Chelsea Randall, Jess Foley, Marijana Rajcic, Ebony Marinoff, Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Erin Phillips, Stevie-Lee Thompson, Eloise Jones

Brisbane: Ally Anderson, Nat Exon, Kate Lutkins, Jess Wuetschner

Carlton: Kerryn Harrington, Gabbie Pound, Maddie Prespakis, Brianna Davey

Collingwood: Ash Brazill, Jaimee Lambert

Fremantle: Kiara Bowers, Kellie Gibson, Sabreena Duffy, Ebony Antonio, Gemma Houghton, Dana Hooker

Geelong: Meg McDonald, Maddy McMahon

Greater Western Sydney: Alyce Parker, Rebecca Beeson

Melbourne: Tegan Cunningham, Lauren Pearce, Elise O’Dea, Karen Paxman

North Melbourne: Emma King, Jasmine Garner, Emma Kearney, Jenna Bruton, Jess Duffin

Western Bulldogs: Ellie Blackburn, Monique Conti

https://womens.afl/news/17396/2019-aflw-all-australian-squad-revealed-who-made-the-cut-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back