Geelong - never going out of premiership contention?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep will win their usual final - the semi and all at the cattery will declare “premiership assault back on track “…
Only to get pumped by melbs in the pre lim.
Then Look out for more past it A graders or toiling C grade mature age players to be brought in over the trade period and declared “the missing pieces” for 2022!

Yep will win their usual final - the semi and all at the cattery will declare “premiership assault back on track “…
Then Look out for more past it A graders or toiling C grade mature age players to be brought in over the trade period and declared “the missing pieces” for 2022!

Don't worry, seen it before. The fun part is watching half the Geelong board instantly start fawning over pretty average players because they've decided to come "home".

Mind you, after McIntosh, Clark, Scott Selwood, Jack Steven, and now Higgins, it'll take some topping this off-season.

Don't worry, seen it before. The fun part is watching half the Geelong board instantly start fawning over pretty average players because they've decided to come "home".

Mind you, after McIntosh, Clark, Scott Selwood, Jack Steven, and now Higgins, it'll take some topping this off-season.
Wow even I d forgot about few of those players.
Also you missed Jenkins 😂

Jack Steven, what actually was the issue there?,mental issues? was decent at Saints(granted while they were consistently bottom 6 )but then seem to vanish off the face of the earth after he joined u guys.

Declared the missing piece generally by literally no one from Geelong.

Wow even I d forgot about few of those players.
Also you missed Jenkins 😂

Jack Steven, what actually was the issue there?,mental issues? was decent at Saints(granted while they were consistently bottom 6 )but then seem to vanish off the face of the earth after he joined u guys.

Well despite enormous warning signs of physical and mental problems - the club decided it hadn't yet reached peak stupid in terms of recruiting. So they grabbed him anyway. He turned up unfit, completely out of shape, and got put straight into the seniors in Round 2. Didn't remotely justify it in any way. And it was easily the worst first game by a Geelong recruit I've ever seen. He could barely find the ball, couldn't run, and his handpasses and kicks weren't even coming off properly. Total disgrace. Look it up.

It's impossible for them to be out of premiership contention

They would likely have a whiteboard of all the country Vic AFL players and when their contract ends. Ok we need mids. Sam Walsh is out of contract in 2026 can we squeeze 4 more out of Guthrie? Yes/No?

It's like Moneyball of the AFL. Visionary tactics and good on them.

I was interested to hear Chris Scott mention that he doesn't know what they get paid.
Salary Cap isn't the role of the coach, makes sense. His input on List Management is from a purely footy perspective, not how much they're worth/they cost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those 3 picks for Tim Kelly are pretty handy. But I doubt Cameron stands up when Hawkins retires. If they all retire at once they’ll be bottom 8. But can they hold on so that they intermittently retire.

Kudos to the GFC for an excellent season. I’m man enough to put my hand up and say I was wrong it’s still galling thinking that soft clocks like Rohan and Stanley have won flags.

Kudos to the GFC for an excellent season. I’m man enough to put my hand up and say I was wrong it’s still galling thinking that soft clocks like Rohan and Stanley have won flags.
I thought Stanley went quite well today.

I can't see us ever going out of premiership contention simply because our down years (eg. 2012, 2015, 2018, 2023) result in us either losing an elimination final or just missing the top 8.

For every other club their down years see them finishing bottom 4 and collecting wooden spoons, and they tend to have several of them while our down years are just a one off.

I can't see us ever going out of premiership contention simply because our down years (eg. 2012, 2015, 2018, 2023) result in us either losing an elimination final or just missing the top 8.

For every other club their down years see them finishing bottom 4 and collecting wooden spoons, and they tend to have several of them while our down years are just a one off.
Ok Taper, you've had your fun, time to turn off the computer.

Ok Taper, you've had your fun, time to turn off the computer.
I remember John Elliott saying Carlton don't rebuild as it's beneath them.
Feels like we've taken the mantle as the club that never rebuilds as it's beneath us.
Last time we were in a rebuild was 2003. Long time ago now.

Don't think Tanner Bruhn is going to be able to take over from Selwood and Danger. After being an absolute strength for 2 decades with awesome stars, the midfield is looking a real worry for the Cats.

Don't think Tanner Bruhn is going to be able to take over from Selwood and Danger. After being an absolute strength for 2 decades with awesome stars, the midfield is looking a real worry for the Cats.
Strange comment and timing given he’s just played his best ever game for the club?

Yep, they’re big shoes to fill. Struggling with both at the moment but hardly Tanner’s fault in season 3. Give the kid time. No one knew Brody Mihocek was going to become half the player he has when he was running round with Port Melbourne as a 24 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back