Preview Geelong vs Richmond - MCG, Sunday July 25, 1:45 - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats taking a very high risk strategy. Basically if this list doesn’t deliver a premiership, the mature top up strategy will be considered a massive failure. once those players retire there will be scant talent to call on, with an under investment in younger players in terms of games played. So Chris Scott’s gambling on premiership success this year, but imagine it doesn’t pay off… could be in for some long years in the wilderness

Already been there for a decade, making top four off the few bonus wins they get out of playing at shitsville each year is fools gold. They might get lucky and jag one but it's not a dynasty strategy.

Have you guys got any new material? Seriously, have a think about how long its been since everyone has been calling Geelong's demise. Probably about as long as the Richmond 9th gags have been floating around.

I think Chris Scott's coaching record, and his ability to regenerate this list is arguably the benchmark that other clubs need to look at. The draft seduces - but rarely delivers unless clubs are prepared to spend sustained amounts of time at the bottom. Geelong went a different direction - and whilst many won't admit it, they probably should be praised for the amount of time they've spent near the top of the ladder, and without falling away. Sydney aren't too far behind. How many finals series have Geelong played in the last 15 years .......plenty. Flags are hard to win - but to contend most years and to be staying around the mark has proven even harder for sides in the last 20+ years.

It remains to be seen how long Richmond can stick around. But credit where its due, they deserve to be ranked amongst the great clubs of the modern era. Maybe its time we just grew up and acknowledged how good both clubs have been, and for different reasons. But in terms of the perpetual discussion about the age of Geelong's list - I think people need to stop being lazy, and start looking at the facts, as well as considering some of the kids not currently getting a game. Geelong will continue down this path until the handicapper gets them - but even the most one eyed supporter would surely acknowledge that the plan has been a pretty successful one to date, and has done what not many other clubs have been able to - and that's contend in most years.

But hey - keep going with the too old too slow line. Its pretty lazy analysis though.
He won a flag in his first year by a team creamed by Thomson and his drug mates. What has he won since? He has been continually handed quality players and cant win Jack. You have as much hope of winning it as us making the eight. We have injuries you have granddads.

Dave Astbury finished the game on the bench with his ankle on ice. If he doesn’t get up we are in some serious sh!t down back. Not sure who goes to Hawkins.
A couple years ago we had heaps of injuries down back. A young Garthwaite was given Hawkins. In first quarter Hawkins kicked 3 (vaguely remember at least 1 was from a crap free kick) my mate who goes for cats gets all chirpy saying Hawkins will break Dunstalls record. Only thing is Garthwaite held him goal less rest of game. He ain't pretty but he's strong and is a great spoiler. I've noticed since he did his shoulder round 1 his arms have lost a fair bit of muscle but hopefully he can get it done. At end of the day without Cameron and Rohan you'd expect him to kick 3-4 anyway. Grimes will chop him out also.

Still Premiershipmond vs Geelong Football League

Well now, this season just got interesting. Perpetually undermanned Tigers have a great win against the Lions, putting us back into finals contention, and Geelong are working hard to get the game moved to GMHBA. Are they perhaps a little scared? Let's dive in.

Background

The 2020 off-season started with Jeremy Cameron and Joe Daniher walking out on their clubs to join teams smack bang in premiership contention. Predictably, there was a massive uproar over this. Constant articles bemoaning players leaving weak clubs to try and jag a flag, opposition players like Mitch "lines" Robinson calling said players flogs online etc.

Oh wait, there wasn't mass outrage? You mean this stuff is only reserved for Tom Lynch when he joins the Tiges? Oh ok then fair enough. For you see, the current AFL policy standard has been subverted to become the Geelong double-standard, where Geelong is never at fault and no questions are asked of the (former) imperious overlord Steve Hocking.

Season so Far

Tigers started ok, then went a bit sh*t, then seemed to come good, then went full sh*t, and now maybe, just maybe, are on the rebound...

Obviously there are good reasons for this. Playing with a shell of midfield most weeks doesn't help, and just when things look ok our backline gets gutted. But we're still alive and in the hunt for finals, and as one opposition poster put it "Richmond are like Jason from Halloween. Until I see the corpse, I always assume they're going to come back".

Last time against the Cats in Rd. 8 was a bit of a perfect storm. We were up the entire first half, and playing some very good footy. Things went to sh*t after that, and even Gary Rohan was kicking goals, when he wasn't scoping out female trainers that is.

Since then, we've been more inconsistent than Steve Hocking's rule changes, while Geelong have played predictably boring chip-mark football, and have won a lot of games doing so, whilst putting everyone watching to sleep.

The Opposition

The Geelong Football League (GFL) has been out to get us for a while. Constant negative media campaigns by Whateley. Constant rule changes by sHocking. And now they've played their final card in bringing sHocking back to Scat Park. You just know he's been gagging to work with Chris Scott again. There's a reason he calls him "Salty Scotty".

As for their players, they're certainly an unlikeable bunch. Just this year there's been the following incidents:
  • Selwood eye-gouging Bailey Dale. Reminiscent to last year's GF when he went after Baker's face deep in the last
  • Selwood scraping his studs over another Dogs players legs
  • Dangerflop cleaning up Jake Kelly and then claiming that he didn't mean to. Mate, you got caught HTB, and then sprinted 20m and flattened a guy with a hip-and-shoulder in retaliation
  • Gary Rohan porking Henderson's missus. This one has been refuted by the club, however we may as well push it as true, given the amount of legs that the Rance/Higgins story got even though it was utter tripe
  • Jeremy Cameron/Isaac Smith/Shaun Higgins joining Geelong looking for an easier premiership than Gary Rohan looks for easy training staff
  • Although Hawkins hasn't done anything, remember that he did cause the Croation Warrior Soldo to blow his ACL
But there's some other players here too. See below for the Geelong guessing game, containing players and administrators. The image may have something to do with the persons name, appearance, or on-field demeanour. The first to correctly deduce who is who in the thread will become immortalized in this post.

View attachment 1181854

The winner is ________.

Tiges

Dusty and McIntosh out injured. Edwards, Prestia, Vlastuin all in contention to come in, pending tests.

This is going to be a tough game. Losing Dusty is going to hurt, however Prestia and Edwards coming back soon will help considerably. As long as Nank the Tank stays healthy, we'll give this a good shot.

One thing in our favour is that we haven't lost to the same team twice in a season from 2017 onwards. If we can keep that trend, that puts us in the box seat to make finals and cause some damage from there.

Prediction

Tigers by 5.
Nice work.

My best guess(es) would be:
  1. Selwood
  2. Meyers
  3. Tuohy
  4. Blicavs
  5. Scott
  6. Rohan
  7. Hocking
  8. Narkle
  9. Hawkins
  10. no idea (couldn’t land a name after toying with ‘sniper’, ‘gun’, ‘rifle’, ‘weapon’ and ‘shooter’).

Have you guys got any new material? Seriously, have a think about how long its been since everyone has been calling Geelong's demise. Probably about as long as the Richmond 9th gags have been floating around.

I think Chris Scott's coaching record, and his ability to regenerate this list is arguably the benchmark that other clubs need to look at. The draft seduces - but rarely delivers unless clubs are prepared to spend sustained amounts of time at the bottom. Geelong went a different direction - and whilst many won't admit it, they probably should be praised for the amount of time they've spent near the top of the ladder, and without falling away. Sydney aren't too far behind. How many finals series have Geelong played in the last 15 years .......plenty. Flags are hard to win - but to contend most years and to be staying around the mark has proven even harder for sides in the last 20+ years.

It remains to be seen how long Richmond can stick around. But credit where its due, they deserve to be ranked amongst the great clubs of the modern era. Maybe its time we just grew up and acknowledged how good both clubs have been, and for different reasons. But in terms of the perpetual discussion about the age of Geelong's list - I think people need to stop being lazy, and start looking at the facts, as well as considering some of the kids not currently getting a game. Geelong will continue down this path until the handicapper gets them - but even the most one eyed supporter would surely acknowledge that the plan has been a pretty successful one to date, and has done what not many other clubs have been able to - and that's contend in most years.

But hey - keep going with the too old too slow line. Its pretty lazy analysis though.

I'm genuinely unsure how to rate Geelong.

That they have had sustained a high standard on-field for a long time isn't in question and I'm personally nowhere near as negative about Chris Scott as others on the Tiger's forum. But winning flags is where it's at, really, and Geelong haven't been doing that.

Not sure if that's because the strategy you've been following is actually a poor one -- albeit hidden by the fact that you keep making finals -- or if it's a really good strategy which just hasn't paid off.

Personally, what really impresses me about Geelong is not so much the on-field as the off-field performance. I think since Frank Costa arrived in '98 Geelong has been kind of the benchmark of how to go about being a football club.

As things currently stand I have you down for the flag this year but I can't honestly say that if I was a Cat's fan, I'd be satisfied with the last decade. I'm more than happy with the last decade as a Richmond fan and that won't change even if we miss finals this year. Top four finishes aren't the "success" I'm looking for even if they are very nice and a good achievement in and of themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks mate - i guess some comfort you played well haha.
Like a lot of non-tiges i am ready for a new premier (no offence!) but must admit finals will be a LOT more exciting if Richmond make it.

I suspect fans of any team we play in finals (assuming we make finals) won't be using the word "excited" to describe how they feel about it! :)

Hi tigers,

i posted on the lions preview thread predicting a lions loss - sad to be proven right!
What’s the take on whether you can beat the cats?
Martin out is obviously big.
But without him you monstered us out of the centre clearance in the second half. that and forward efficiency were key. Nankervis back was obviously big. Do you reckon your side played really well, or more a case of good gutsy win? I am hoping for the former otherwise we might be toast.
For the record i thought we got a good run from the umps in the first half (a couple of those dangerous tackle calls were crazy bad) but the Lynch free at the end was very iffy. Don’t think they affected the result.
Riewoldt killed Lester - very odd match-up.
Chol i thought after last year’s QF was not a threat but he was great, physical and skillful.
A very even performance other than that i thought - Martin looks limited but had a 5 minute patch pre injury that helped turn it.
Anyway interested in your thoughts.
We are a very good chance to win...
Nank to step up and lead/play One for the Ages...we still have some vg players in our side...
The Smartest Man in the Room...won't be able to help hisself and will play funny buggers with scat team selections and drop Rattatatagunda who would be the only scat to match Nank's physicality....that happens we definitely WIN!!!😉😘🤗

Did you mean Chris Scott's finals coaching record ? Man it must drive Cats fans crazy to go to the well time after time only to find it's dry, again.

Having said that, you're the best remaining team in it this year, (despite a recent10 goal drubbing from the Bears) and $hockos rule changes promoting the exciting chip, chip, chip game you Cats favour and injury/premiership fatigue to your bogey team probably mean you will fall over the line this year.

But, looking at your list, the cliff is coming and you seem intent on charging at it like so many striped lemmings. No pressure. Imagine if you DIDN'T win it this year...wow crikey, you might fall down that well head first, before you even get a chance to go over the cliff.

Geelong finals record since 2012: 6-13, 1 grand final, 0 flags.
Richmods finals record since 2017: 10-2, 3 grand finals, 3 flags.

Whats the good at being high on the ladder for so long if you keep losing in finals? Im not sure I would call it successful.

Swans since 2012: 9-9 in finals, 3 grand finalks, 1 flag.
In those 9 seasons Swans have won a flag, made a couple more grand finals, won more finals than you, dropped down the ladder and now are back pushing for top 4. Swans had more success and now also a better future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still Premiershipmond vs Geelong Football League

Well now, this season just got interesting. Perpetually undermanned Tigers have a great win against the Lions, putting us back into finals contention, and Geelong are working hard to get the game moved to GMHBA. Are they perhaps a little scared? Let's dive in.

Background

The 2020 off-season started with Jeremy Cameron and Joe Daniher walking out on their clubs to join teams smack bang in premiership contention. Predictably, there was a massive uproar over this. Constant articles bemoaning players leaving weak clubs to try and jag a flag, opposition players like Mitch "lines" Robinson calling said players flogs online etc.

Oh wait, there wasn't mass outrage? You mean this stuff is only reserved for Tom Lynch when he joins the Tiges? Oh ok then fair enough. For you see, the current AFL policy standard has been subverted to become the Geelong double-standard, where Geelong is never at fault and no questions are asked of the (former) imperious overlord Steve Hocking.

Season so Far

Tigers started ok, then went a bit sh*t, then seemed to come good, then went full sh*t, and now maybe, just maybe, are on the rebound...

Obviously there are good reasons for this. Playing with a shell of midfield most weeks doesn't help, and just when things look ok our backline gets gutted. But we're still alive and in the hunt for finals, and as one opposition poster put it "Richmond are like Jason from Halloween. Until I see the corpse, I always assume they're going to come back".

Last time against the Cats in Rd. 8 was a bit of a perfect storm. We were up the entire first half, and playing some very good footy. Things went to sh*t after that, and even Gary Rohan was kicking goals, when he wasn't scoping out female trainers that is.

Since then, we've been more inconsistent than Steve Hocking's rule changes, while Geelong have played predictably boring chip-mark football, and have won a lot of games doing so, whilst putting everyone watching to sleep.

The Opposition

The Geelong Football League (GFL) has been out to get us for a while. Constant negative media campaigns by Whateley. Constant rule changes by sHocking. And now they've played their final card in bringing sHocking back to Scat Park. You just know he's been gagging to work with Chris Scott again. There's a reason he calls him "Salty Scotty".

As for their players, they're certainly an unlikeable bunch. Just this year there's been the following incidents:
  • Selwood eye-gouging Bailey Dale. Reminiscent to last year's GF when he went after Baker's face deep in the last
  • Selwood scraping his studs over another Dogs players legs
  • Dangerflop cleaning up Jake Kelly and then claiming that he didn't mean to. Mate, you got caught HTB, and then sprinted 20m and flattened a guy with a hip-and-shoulder in retaliation
  • Gary Rohan porking Henderson's missus. This one has been refuted by the club, however we may as well push it as true, given the amount of legs that the Rance/Higgins story got even though it was utter tripe
  • Jeremy Cameron/Isaac Smith/Shaun Higgins joining Geelong looking for an easier premiership than Gary Rohan looks for easy training staff
  • Although Hawkins hasn't done anything, remember that he did cause the Croation Warrior Soldo to blow his ACL
But there's some other players here too. See below for the Geelong guessing game, containing players and administrators. The image may have something to do with the persons name, appearance, or on-field demeanour. The first to correctly deduce who is who in the thread will become immortalized in this post.

View attachment 1181854

The winner is ________.

Tiges

Dusty and McIntosh out injured. Edwards, Prestia, Vlastuin all in contention to come in, pending tests.

This is going to be a tough game. Losing Dusty is going to hurt, however Prestia and Edwards coming back soon will help considerably. As long as Nank the Tank stays healthy, we'll give this a good shot.

One thing in our favour is that we haven't lost to the same team twice in a season from 2017 onwards. If we can keep that trend, that puts us in the box seat to make finals and cause some damage from there.

Prediction

Tigers by 5.
Nice preview, had to LOL at "Salty Scotty"

1. Duckwood
2. Miers
3. 2E
4. Blitz (cant spell his name)
5. Aforementioned coach
6. Rooting Ranga.
7. Old man Higgins
8. Clangerfield
9. Jack Hawkins
10. Sniper Cameron.

*Edit.....is it too late to change No. 8 to Farknarkle?

Last edited:
Your time is coming Geelong,here is your list 30 year olds by round 11 2022.
SELWOOD 34
HAWKINS 34
SMITH 33
HIGGINS. 33
TOUHY. 32
JENKINS. 32
HENDERSON 32
DANGERFIELD 32
BLICAVS. 31
ROHAN. 31
STANLEY. 31
DUNCAN. 30
GUTHRIE. 29-30
DALHAUS. 29-30

TIGERS HAVE 8,BUT A BIT YOUNGER.
GEELONG HAVE VERY FEW UNDER 23S THAT ARE ESTABLISHED.
Higgins is the oldest on the list, currently 33yrs 4mnths

The Smartest Man in the Room hiding in the back of the Room...🤪
Noticed that too. Bloke is a mental midget when the whips get cracking...
Re. The game. Team to look like this...
Nigel G.rhymes G.vader
Stackhat arsebury/millertime getshorty
MP2 chimp MP1
Lambo linchpin shakenbake
Cantdropya JR8 2phones
LightninBolt tank JGTI
Sheds autocad rolledgold floss
Medsub
Anyone left who can run and gun.

Tiges by 13. Expecting us to outrun these geriatrics in the turd.

Hmm, I'm guessing
Selwood
Cam guthrie
Tuohy
Blicavs
Salty scott
Gary Rohan
SHocking
Danger
Tom Porkins
J. Cameron

Already been there for a decade, making top four off the few bonus wins they get out of playing at shitsville each year is fools gold. They might get lucky and jag one but it's not a dynasty strategy.

yea if they didn't get the best fixture in the league each year they wouldn't be so consistent

Except on Fox Footy tonight it was Dunstall telling Whately that the game should be at Geelong.

But cool story knackers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dunstall said he doesn’t see an issue with it given no crowds and if it was moved on the proviso that the handbaggers would STFU about constantly whining about not playing finals there. He knew that second condition would never be met so in essence he was saying STFU complaining all the time and just play where you’re told.

FB Stack Astbury Garthwaite
HB Vlaustin Grimes Rioli
C Pickett Cotch Short
RK Nank Lambert Bolton
HF Graham Lynch Baker
FF Chol Riewoldt Aarts

Int Parker Edwards Castagna Mansell Ross

Out - Martin McIntosh
In - Vlaustin Edwards

The only other change might be Prestia if he's deemed right to go...
Which would probably see Ross drop out

This is what i think will happen changes wise, whether I agree with them or not may be a different question.

The only thing I have changed to my liking is Short on the wing... But I can easily see Parker or Baker there to leave short in the back 6-7.

That may be well and good, but you can't refute the fact that by the numbers above that your list is getting on, any more than Richmond's are also getting on. You are either extremely lucky, or extremely good at managing players longevity, or a bit of both, but injuries happen. Our 'handicapper' has been injuries, we have done 5 ankles in the last 4 weeks or so and a knee or two. Accidents, but they have tested our depth big time. You have 3 regular best 22 players on your injury list, the least in the league by some way (maybe equal with Freo). We have 10, 2 of those might get up this week. In Geelong's age profile that is very lucky.

Yes Geelong's regeneration has probably been the best ever, but with 14 players between 29-35 next year, it may not continue much longer. Regarding the idea of the draft rarely delivering, Sydney the club you mentioned as the other sustained successful club has gone the draft on their rebuild and done it very well. Richmond has gone the draft, often unconventionally. Lynch in 2019, Nank, Prestia and Caddy in 2017 are our only non drafted players, and of course they were integral to our success, but getting A grade players in the draft is not all that common. Geelong other than getting Cameron, has largely a built from the draft up. A couple of oldies like Higgins and Smith of late, but by and large you have picked up about one player a year which is not uncommon.

By the way, I think you will torch us this week. Nank makes a massive difference to us, but Danger has 2 BOG's in a row and you will be too seasoned and strong especially given the wet and windy weather.

Hawkins only a factor if our midfield gets creamed. If their midfield have time to send laser beam kicks into a leading Hawkins then it's all over red rover. If however we can at least break even then their forward line isnt too scary without Cameron as the second tall.

Quite simply we need to match their midfield and apply scoreboard pressure ourselves and that will go some way to keeping us in the game to start and being in a position to cause an upset at the pointy end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back