Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure many do.
This is not exactly the same situation, but perhaps has some parallels. I was suicidally depressed a few ago and was going to throw myself under the number 48 tram in Bridge rd, in my state of mind at the time it seemed the easiest way to stop the pain. When the tram trundled up I didn't do it, thankfully. I'm certainly glad I didn't, I would never have got to meet all the nice folks on BF.

Where are the nice folks on here?

n extraordinary DNA breakthrough in the case of a mystery man hit and killed by a train in Perth 26 years ago could revolutionise the way police solve cold cases.

Using groundbreaking genetic genealogy technology, WA Police have ended a near three-decades long riddle by putting a name to the man found on a set of train tracks on March 7, 1998.

He can now be revealed for the first time as 20-year-old Mark Peter Dixon, from New South Wales...............
Such is the excitement about the potential for genetic genealogy to solve other cases, The West can reveal the IGG team is currently working on 18 other cases at present — some of which are murder investigations and unsolved sex assault cases.

Police say they are making excellent progress on as many as eight of those 18 cases......................

Arguably the biggest case solved using the technique was the Golden State Killer case. The method led to the identification of Joseph James DeAngelo — a serial rapist and murderer who killed 13 people and raped more than 50 across California in the 1970s and ‘80s.

DeAngelo was jailed for life in 2020.

WA Police revealed last year how they too had used genetic genealogy technology to track down an alleged serial rapist who targeted four Perth women in the 1990s.

Following an “intensive” two-year investigation, Michael Anthony Woodhall, 51, was charged with carrying out the sex attacks in Crawley, Kelmscott, Carine and Scarborough between 1995 and 1998.

Det-Insp. Darryl Cox said at the time that genetic genealogy initially identified 3884 people — all of whom were put into a family tree. Police then spent two years painstakingly eliminating potential offenders. Until they had just one name left.........

It's not clear if the pitch referred to below is an Australian one or to US producers.

'May 18, 2024 — 5.00am'
'Renowned for his ferocious work ethic, Howard has recently pitched true-crime documentaries and podcasts to local producers, including a potential series on the murder of child beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey.'

n extraordinary DNA breakthrough in the case of a mystery man hit and killed by a train in Perth 26 years ago could revolutionise the way police solve cold cases.

Using groundbreaking genetic genealogy technology, WA Police have ended a near three-decades long riddle by putting a name to the man found on a set of train tracks on March 7, 1998.

He can now be revealed for the first time as 20-year-old Mark Peter Dixon, from New South Wales...............
Such is the excitement about the potential for genetic genealogy to solve other cases, The West can reveal the IGG team is currently working on 18 other cases at present — some of which are murder investigations and unsolved sex assault cases.

Police say they are making excellent progress on as many as eight of those 18 cases......................

Arguably the biggest case solved using the technique was the Golden State Killer case. The method led to the identification of Joseph James DeAngelo — a serial rapist and murderer who killed 13 people and raped more than 50 across California in the 1970s and ‘80s.

DeAngelo was jailed for life in 2020.

WA Police revealed last year how they too had used genetic genealogy technology to track down an alleged serial rapist who targeted four Perth women in the 1990s.

Following an “intensive” two-year investigation, Michael Anthony Woodhall, 51, was charged with carrying out the sex attacks in Crawley, Kelmscott, Carine and Scarborough between 1995 and 1998.

Det-Insp. Darryl Cox said at the time that genetic genealogy initially identified 3884 people — all of whom were put into a family tree. Police then spent two years painstakingly eliminating potential offenders. Until they had just one name left.........
I recommend you read this book, it’s about the Golden Gate killer among others and is extremely interesting.

“In I Know Who You Are, Barbara Rae-Venter reveals how she went from researching her family history as a retiree to hunting for a notorious serial killer—and how she became the nation's leading authority on investigative genetic genealogy, the most dazzling new crime-fighting weapon to appear in decades.”

I recommend you read this book, it’s about the Golden Gate killer among others and is extremely interesting.

“In I Know Who You Are, Barbara Rae-Venter reveals how she went from researching her family history as a retiree to hunting for a notorious serial killer—and how she became the nation's leading authority on investigative genetic genealogy, the most dazzling new crime-fighting weapon to appear in decades.”

https:// vimeo.com/809839274

Remove the space and put it in your browser it doesn't allow it to be viewed on this page.
Live with Barbara Rae Venter about her book with the Community Library.

Reads like this bloke probably wanted to die today.

'Updated May 19, 2024 — 4.56pmfirst published at 2.45pm
A police officer who was stabbed in the head near Hyde Park in Sydney’s CBD chased down his own alleged attacker after being set upon with 30cm kitchen knife.

The constable sustained two stab wounds to the back of the head in the attack shortly after 1pm on Sunday, but still managed to apprehend the suspect on Elizabeth Street with the help of a colleague.

Detective Superintendent Martin Fileman said the officers then held the suspect at gunpoint, at which point the man “demanded the police shoot him”.

Police patrolling nearby came to assist, before a Taser was used to restrain the suspect.
The man is known to police, but he does not have a history of serious or violent offences.

Police said the man didn’t say anything as he approached the two constables, who were performing traffic duties on the corner of Castlereagh and Park Streets.
there was already a heavy police presence in the city due to protest activity, which allowed for the swift response to the incident.

A witness who was on the scene soon after the stabbing said the area was quickly swarming with police, with “at least 20” officers pinning the suspect to the ground.
...'

A police officer who was stabbed in the head near Hyde Park in Sydney’s CBD chased down his own alleged attacker after being set upon with 30cm kitchen knife.

The constable sustained two stab wounds to the back of the head in the attack shortly after 1pm on Sunday, but still managed to apprehend the suspect on Elizabeth Street with the help of a colleague.

Detective Superintendent Martin Fileman said the officers then held the suspect at gunpoint, at which point the man “demanded the police shoot him”.

Police patrolling nearby came to assist, before a Taser was used to restrain the suspect.
The man is known to police, but he does not have a history of serious or violent offences.

Police said the man didn’t say anything as he approached the two constables, who were performing traffic duties on the corner of Castlereagh and Park Streets.
there was already a heavy police presence in the city due to protest activity, which allowed for the swift response to the incident.

A witness who was on the scene soon after the stabbing said the area was quickly swarming with police, with “at least 20” officers pinning the suspect to the ground.
...'
Sorry to disappoint him. He’ll have to go to court and then to jail instead 🙄

...'
Shame there were other people around that meant doing the right thing and putting a bullet in his chest would be dangerous to the public. Attacker with a knife running towards public areas needs to be taken out as quickly as possible if safe to do so.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Latham's tweet at centre of defamation storm seen by 6,000 people, court documents allege

LMAO!

Senator, 'leader' of an Australian 'political party', and his tweets get 6,000 views!

AngryReflectingCoati-max-1mb.gif

Irrelevant, much? Love it!!!
Old man Latham's going down!

Federal Court hears Mark Latham's tweet 'went as low as possible' as independent MP Alex Greenwich sues the former One Nation leader​

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-22/nsw-latham-v-greenwich-defamation-court/103878032

Your taxes at work, paying this Sex Crimes detective to have sex while at work in the police station. Even worse, it might be rape.

Try here if you don't have a sub.

Horrible stuff. I thought I opened up a thread for this but I might have got sidetracked again.

Does anyone know or can work out from the below promo pic in the Weekend Australian today which case Hedley is referring to?

View attachment 1992726

With Hedley Thomas's new podcast out tomorrow, there's another seaside clue on p7 in the paper version of The Australian today.
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 12.28.57 PM.png

'How to listen to Hedley Thomas’s new podcast series'

'6:49PM MAY 22, 2024
A new Hedley Thomas podcast will launch on May 24.

The new podcast, which will be unveiled on Friday, will be available first exclusively to The Australian’s subscribers and registered users.

Only The Australian’s subscribers will be able to read all the stories by Hedley and The Australian’s team, as well as exclusive maps, timelines and explainers.
...'

Hedley Thomas's new cold case crime podcast Ep1,2,3 and an Intro podcast is out.

Titled "Bronwyn", it only appears to be on The Australian newspapers website for subscribers so far tonight.

And the sea cliff in the promo pic is of Lennox Head, which is 776 km north of Sydney, 211 km south of Brisbane, 11 km north of Ballina and 120 km south of Coolangatta. A small coastal town between Byron Bay and Ballina, New South Wales.

Bronwyn is listed in the BF Missing Australia Women and Serial Killers thread.

'His castle. Her prison. Hedley Thomas dives into a new cold case

May 23, 2024

Bronwyn Joy Winfield was a young, bubbly, life-loving young woman who rose above a difficult childhood to become a devoted mother. She disappeared in 1993 – never to be seen again.
...'

Free to read

australian missing persons register

Between VIC.ED Dept., the school and the pool management, what a disaster.

Why would you not make it mandatory in the first place, and how about all VIC pools are regulated so that how or if they use info schools must provide them with, is not optional or puts non-swimmers lives at risk.

Schools must only use pools that comply with minimum standards of child safety and supervision for weak or non-swimmers. Including things like mandated floatables for some of the kids.

'...
Throughout Thursday's plea hearing, Judge Claire Quin repeatedly asked government barrister Carmen Currie why the school collected information about the children's swimming ability if not to disclose it to the pool.

Ms Currie said the information was collected for planning purposes, and the department could not 'anticipate in every single case the exact information a provider might need' for a school activity.

It was up to the pool to ask for the information, the barrister said.

'The activity was swimming,' Judge Quin said.

'Why get the information if you're not going to give it to the people who need it?'
the department has since made it mandatory for schools to tell pools about their students' swimming abilities.

'there was no evidence that disclosing the children's swimming abilities would have changed how Belfast Aquatics managed the activity on May 21.

Port Fairy Community Pool Management has also admitted breaching health and safety legislation.'
Judge Quin is expected to sentence both the department and pool management on May 31.'

Hedley Thomas's new cold case crime podcast Ep1,2,3 and an Intro podcast is out.

Titled "Bronwyn", it only appears to be on The Australian newspapers website for subscribers so far tonight.

And the sea cliff in the promo pic is of Lennox Head, which is 776 km north of Sydney, 211 km south of Brisbane, 11 km north of Ballina and 120 km south of Coolangatta. A small coastal town between Byron Bay and Ballina, New South Wales.

Bronwyn is listed in the BF Missing Australia Women and Serial Killers thread.

'His castle. Her prison. Hedley Thomas dives into a new cold case

May 23, 2024

Bronwyn Joy Winfield was a young, bubbly, life-loving young woman who rose above a difficult childhood to become a devoted mother. She disappeared in 1993 – never to be seen again.
...'

Free to read

australian missing persons register
Another sad story. I don’t think Bronwyn disappeared on her own accord somehow.
The poor kids as well as the rest of her family left wondering too.

Disgraceful that he wasn't in jail along ago.

'Disgraced AFL legend Barry Cable charged with child sex offences'

'May 24, 2024 - 7:04PM
Disgraced AFL legend Barry Cable has been charged with historical sex offences against a nine-year-old girl.
It comes almost one year after a judge in a civil case ruled Cable was a pedophile.

WA Police revealed on Friday that Cable, 80, had been charged with offences related to a young girl, but according to The West Australian, she is not one of the five women who shared their experiences with the WA District Court.
Police will allege that between 1967 and 1968, Cable sexually assaulted a girl who was between nine and 10 years old at the time.

He has been charged with five counts of indecent dealing with a girl under 13 and two counts of unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under 13.

Cable, from Shelley, is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on May 30.
...'

Not paywalled at the moment (the article or the "Bronwyn" new cold case podcast episodes embedded in the article),
the below linked Hedley Thomas article makes the front page, inside page and has a related editorial in The Australian today.

It's theme is one of missing persons and alleged historical systematic problems in NSW/Australia's Police forces, in how they prioritised and triaged missing persons cases in years gone by (the decades up to the late 90's according to a related editorial in The Australian newspaper today), including claims that 'Police' never looked at related domestic violence issues.

Culminating in Hedley calling for 'A national inquiry and task force that would see every police force in the country joined in a spirit of co-operation to produce cold case files of missing women.'

Note that the below quotes are not the full article.

Reaching into the past: what did ‘missing’ really mean?

The penny dropped for me one afternoon a week before Christmas, 2017. What a retired senior coroner told me that day should be absorbed by every police chief and politician with the power now to make a difference.

May 24, 2024

Are commissioners of police and heads of homicide squads across Australia sitting on hundreds of cases of unsolved murders of women who were once haphazardly filed away as “missing”?

As “uncaring” mothers and wives who abandoned their children and husbands or boyfriends – and never bobbed up again?

It is more pressing now than ever to confront a systemic failure of the criminal justice system spanning decades until the late 1990s. Police would routinely file reports of missing women in the bottom drawer. They were not deemed important when, in truth, they were all vitally important.

They were more often than not the victims of foul play. Their bodies were always mouldering in unknown locations as their killers got on with life, unhindered.

How do we know this? Police agree it is one hundred per cent true. Senior cops and retired homicide detectives, usually defensive about methods and practices, don’t even quibble over it.

“Things were different then,” they tell me. “We didn’t know at the time. Domestic violence was looked at differently then. It wouldn’t happen that way today.”

The penny dropped for me one afternoon a week before Christmas, 2017. In a lounge room at the home of Carl Milovanovich, a retired senior coroner in NSW who had agreed to be interviewed for my podcast series The Teacher’s Pet
“And I was very disappointed that the police investigation was so poor initially that Lynette Dawson was just treated as another missing person and it wasn’t prioritised.

“They never looked at the issues of domestic violence. They never looked at the reality or the possibility that this was a homicide.

“At that stage of my career as deputy state coroner I was probably just starting to do a number of missing persons cases that were historical ones.
“And the attitude that the police had to the investigation of them … I think there was a systemic problem in the police department in how they prioritised and triaged missing persons cases.

“And that was a systemic attitude the police had – ‘you don’t worry about investigating until you’ve got a smoking gun or some evidence of foul play. They’ll turn up’. Or ‘they’ve gone off with a boyfriend’, or something like that.

When I asked Milovanovich whether this meant that a significant number of women who had been classified by police as simply missing were more likely to have been murdered, he replied: “No doubt. I’ve got no doubt about that. Absolutely. If you’d asked me this question nine years ago before I retired, I would have given you a list of all their names.

“And I think the majority of the long-term missing-persons cases that are still outstanding, even to this day, involve young women who have disappeared and inevitably they are victims of homicide.”
There must be many similar cases across Australia. And many discarded female murder victims still out there. They have been failed by the system. Their cases have fallen between the cracks.

What about this, Prime Minister? A national inquiry and task force that would see every police force in the country joined in a spirit of co-operation to produce cold case files of missing women for careful review and reconsideration.

Try to solve them. As the successful murder prosecution of Chris Dawson four decades later shows, it isn’t too late.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back