General CROWS talk ~ topical tidbits ...the thread for when you can't find a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clay Sampson, Aaron Keating and Chad Rintoul are premiership players.

We had a very very good team both those years but let's not for a second think there weren't at least half a dozen plodders.
The amount of plodders you can carry is directly proportional to how many stars you have

Jarman, Rehn, McLeod, Ricciuto, Hart, Smart... ok we can squeeze the odd Kym Koster in there and still do ok.

Without the same star power though then you cannot afford to fill the team with limited role players.

Sack Chapman post 2009 SF: "this kid could be anything" :$

I said the same lol.

To be fair that is still the most wrecked I've been after a game.

2012 prelim was more heart-wrenching for me. Just.

I didn't ever think we were going to win in 2012, especially after our capitulation in the QF. Was bloody proud of how well we played though, and didn't notice the umpires as much until watching the replay.

The losses under Craig were worse because we blew commanding leads in nearly all of them.

The amount of plodders you can carry is directly proportional to how many stars you have

Jarman, Rehn, McLeod, Ricciuto, Hart, Smart... ok we can squeeze the odd Kym Koster in there and still do ok.

Without the same star power though then you cannot afford to fill the team with limited role players.

The level underneath the group you mention, for arguments sake the second tier (at that time), are a better group of players than the AFC of today's top tier. Bickley, K Johnson, Modra (top tier), Vardy, Goodwin, Edwards.

Unless we have a drastic turn around in culture and off field quality, we will never that amount of talent in a Crows team again (not even close to it).

I wonder how many of the above were startup concession players.

I miss that-one-game-in-2009 version of Mackay.
I did some research a while ago and he's had 9 games of more than 25+ touches in his whole career (i.e. 4%) as a permanent midfielder.

Compared with:
Isaac Smith (200 games): 10+ games of 30+ touches
Stephen Hill (200 games). 10+ games of 30+ touches
Brandon Ellis (177 games): 10+ games of 33+ touches
Ricky Henderson (150 games): 10+ games of 29+ touches
Tom Phillips (75 games): 10+ games of 30+ touches
Paul Seedsman (100 games): 10+ games of 26 touches

Zac Jones and Paul Seedsman both have the same possession record as DMac, but only played 90-100 games: 10+ games of 25+ touches

You might be waiting a while before you see that 1 game DMac again.

He does try, but just doesn't get the ball enough! Still, he's been picked for 200 games, so he must be doing that non-statistical role really well

I didn't ever think we were going to win in 2012, especially after our capitulation in the QF. Was bloody proud of how well we played though, and didn't notice the umpires as much until watching the replay.

The losses under Craig were worse because we blew commanding leads in nearly all of them.

The Freo win gave me hope that the QF was just a blip and jitters. I was supremely confident we would roll Sydney at the G.

Turns out it was just another 2005.

2009 hurts because of what happened in Round 22 rather than the Semi. We were just about the form team of the comp and instead of rolling into a home prelim, we had to do it the hard way from 5th. I don't think we would have won an away prelim.

I did some research a while ago and he's had 9 games of more than 25+ touches in his whole career (i.e. 4%) as a permanent midfielder.

Compared with:
Isaac Smith (200 games): 10+ games of 30+ touches
Stephen Hill (200 games). 10+ games of 30+ touches
Brandon Ellis (177 games): 10+ games of 33+ touches
Ricky Henderson (150 games): 10+ games of 29+ touches
Tom Phillips (75 games): 10+ games of 30+ touches
Paul Seedsman (100 games): 10+ games of 26 touches

Zac Jones and Paul Seedsman both have the same possession record as DMac, but only played 90-100 games: 10+ games of 25+ touches

You might be waiting a while before you see that 1 game DMac again.

He does try, but just doesn't get the ball enough! Still, he's been picked for 200 games, so he must be doing that non-statistical role really well

His willingness and professionalism is never in debate - just his talent and ability.

He's in the dying embers of his career now, so it really doesn't bother me anymore. I admire him for getting to 200+ games though.

The level underneath the group you mention, for arguments sake the second tier (at that time), are a better group of players than the AFC of today's top tier. Bickley, K Johnson, Modra (top tier), Vardy, Goodwin, Edwards.

Unless we have a drastic turn around in culture and off field quality, we will never that amount of talent in a Crows team again (not even close to it).

I wonder how many of the above were startup concession players.
Rehn
Ricciuto
Hart
Smart
Bickley
Modra
All from start up concession picks

Rehn
Ricciuto
Hart
Smart
Bickley
Modra
All from start up concession picks
Also in the squad/team in 97/98 from concessions from 1991/92:

Liptak
Jameson
Pittman
Viska
Tregenza

He also had 40 tackles across the 13 finals games. I'm trying to backup my prejudice with stats but I'm struggling.

I wonder what his hit-out number are like in finals?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Geelong and their concessions!

Has anyone noticed that Geelong have turned into us during the Craig era? Always tough to beat during the H&A season, but regularly failing in big games and in finals. Very old side too.

Don't know about other states but C7 SA is broadcasting a game of ours tonight:

[TD valign="top"]
7MATE.png

Sport: Seven's Footy Vault
Saturday 30th May at 7:00 pm (165 minutes)
2015 Afl: Elim Final 2: Western Bull: Revisit when Western Bulldogs took on Adelaide in the 2nd Elimination Final of the 2015 season.​
[/TD]

The debate about the 97-98 GF teams against the present team and especially the 22 that played the '17 GF is interesting. Watching the replays my take is that the earlier teams were far more determined to win than our more recent blokes. Even our plodders had a red-hot crack, which is more than you can say for some in our '17 debacle.

The debate about the 97-98 GF teams against the present team and especially the 22 that played the '17 GF is interesting. Watching the replays my take is that the earlier teams were far more determined to win than our more recent blokes. Even our plodders had a red-hot crack, which is more than you can say for some in our '17 debacle.

In the 97/98 GFs we had about 4-5 genuine elite A-graders, some very solid performers and a handful genuine deadwood making up the numbers. But like you said, far more determined.

In 17 we probably had two elite A-graders, a lot of very good B-graders and about 2-3 deadwood. Overall on paper the team is probably a touch better but therein lies the problem, we expected it on the day.

Had we been the surprise packet underdogs that made a GF rather than romping two finals after finishing top would it have been different? Maybe.

LOL 😂 serial killer goes to NRL game.

Craig Cameron from the Suns talking about Brad Crouch, basically says no deal was ever a chance of happening because we didn't want to trade him and they didn't want to pay up draft picks because their plan was to hit the draft hard, so it was something that wasn't really anything at all.

Mentioned guys managers often go exploring a year before they go out of contract just to see what's around and/or put pressure on their club to offer a deal.

Craig Cameron from the Suns talking about Brad Crouch, basically says no deal was ever a chance of happening because we didn't want to trade him and they didn't want to pay up draft picks because their plan was to hit the draft hard, so it was something that wasn't really anything at all.

Mentioned guys managers often go exploring a year before they go out of contract just to see what's around and/or put pressure on their club to offer a deal.
Always got the impression it was his manager fishing for bites and contract value

Mark “Firepower” Ricciuto one of the victims. Should he really be running the club? How many times now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back