General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I'm not expecting much from a potential finals campaign anyway. Not being negative or anything like that. We're just still a very young team.

Priority 1 is to make the 8 and not blow the golden opportunity we've given ourselves; i.e. avoid 'mental weakness'.

Priority 2 is not to be the first team that loses a final to Richmond.

Priority 3 is not to feed the vomit-inducing story of those brave young Bombers.

Given that, I'd actually rather get knocked out by Port or Sydney away in week 1. No shame in that, and then bring on top 4 in 2018.

To be honest I'm not expecting much from a potential finals campaign anyway. Not being negative or anything like that. We're just still a very young team.

Priority 1 is to make the 8 and not blow the golden opportunity we've given ourselves; i.e. avoid 'mental weakness'.

Priority 2 is not to be the first team that loses a final to Richmond.

Priority 3 is not to feed the vomit-inducing story of those brave young Bombers.

Given that, I'd actually rather get knocked out by Port or Sydney away in week 1. No shame in that, and then bring on top 4 in 2018.
This is the worst of all the scenarios, cannot be allowed to happen should it eventuate.

I actually can honestly say I don't care if we lose an elimination final. Just need to make it so we can jump that first hurdle finally. Didn't hurt the dogs in 15'
Absolutely agree, it's been 10 years, just making it is as important for us as winning one, particularly when you consider the challenges we've had to overcome this season to get there. The experience will be invaluable to us next year when we should put ourselves in a far more favourable position going in - home final or double chance.

No point making finals if you're happy to make up the numbers.

No one is happy about that. But if we travel to Sydney week 1 and lose I'll still look back and consider the season success. If we lose to Brisbane and Collingwood and finish 10th I'll spend the off season questioning us

No point making finals if you're happy to make up the numbers.
Yep. I played in a team that won a flag from fourth (only top four in finals), and we hadn't beaten any of the three teams above us all season. We were five goals down at 3/4 time of our first final! Was an amazing three weeks.

No one is happy about that. But if we travel to Sydney week 1 and lose I'll still look back and consider the season success. If we lose to Brisbane and Collingwood and finish 10th I'll spend the off season questioning us

If we lose either game I'll be questioning us. Pies at full strength aren't awful but they've already got quite a few out for our game, Brisbane are in good form but if we're serious we should win by 30+.

If we lose either game I'll be questioning us. Pies at full strength aren't awful but they've already got quite a few out for our game, Brisbane are in good form but if we're serious we should win by 30+.

Problem is the club has collapsed under the weight of external expectation far too many times. If it fails again I'd like to just see us embrace it next year. * the journey and s**t let's start talking about how we need to win to play finals and than losses to bottom sides aren't accepted. Let's be harsh on ourselves

If we haven't already got a good one we desperately need to get ourselves a quality sports psychologist. When we play fearless football and are the hunter we can beat anyone anywhere. When we play like we have something to lose we are one of the worst two or three teams in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is literally the strongest reason I have for hoping we make finals - so we don't have to spend the off season enduring your questioning us

I actually can honestly say I don't care if we lose an elimination final. Just need to make it so we can jump that first hurdle finally. Didn't hurt the dogs in 15'
Whole point of playing finals is winning them. I won't be too shattered either, but can't say I wouldn't care a whole bunch when we lost it.

It's definitely better to play a final even if we get torched in Sydney.

A lot lf people forget the dogs played and lost a final in 2015. Adelaide have cleary gained valuable experience from finals as well.

Whole point of playing finals is winning them. I won't be too shattered either, but can't say I wouldn't care a whole bunch when we lost it.
I'll be shattered at the time mate. Once you qualify your a chance of winning it. I'm just content with tangible improvement at this stage

I'll be shattered at the time mate. Once you qualify your a chance of winning it. I'm just content with tangible improvement at this stage
We've clearly improved this year. Our best football is far better than last year.

It's about finals experience from here for me. We have to earn the right and then I think we'd get more of out of a final that we believe we can win, regardless of result, which would be tough drawing Sydney in Sydney.

Ideally we host the Eagles in a first final
Yeah agree. That said, I think we'll finish seventh, so then the ideal is anyone-but-Sydney.

I'm not even going to think about finals opponents until we get past this week and next.

That said, i don't like this mindset of 'I'll be happy we've just made it'. We've been good at playing the teams around us this season and I would be disappointed to lose against any team from 5-9 in the home and away season so I don't see how losing to them in a possible finals match makes it any better.

If we beat Brisbane tomorrow, we play finals. Would be nice if the Collingwood match is dead rubber. Nice for my heart anyway...
Not quite guaranteed. Essendon losing and us winning would just about do it, but even then we're relying on not being pumped by the Pies. Need to aim to start like a house on fire tomorrow and really work on our percentage. Worst comes to worst if we play at our best, we get four points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back