General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port didn't even make finals in 2018 and Geelong literally only made it into 8th because they had two teams in Geelong in the last two games that had given up on the season.

Not sure how invested I'll be this year but it will be very interesting viewing to see how we play.
Port spent 18 weeks in the top 8 that year and were equal on wins with us when we played them and the Cats finished top 2 in 2017 and 2019. Both sides were in the top four as late as R12 for Geelong and R19 for Port. I’d call them ‘half-decent’ at the very least.

ESPN?!? You’re big time mate!

This is fantastic, and I’ll definitely be listening to the referenced Bob Ley podcast. Really interesting to hear Roos’ American experience and insight.

As for the current situation, the opportunity is there! Strike quickly and a long term following in the states is quite possible. In an ideal world the AFL could strike a deal with ESPN, Fox, etc to do Saturday night games in prime time, with one game each week starting at 10am Sunday in Melbourne. Television could then heavily promote “Sunday Night Football”. I think this would obviously make a big difference in viewership, as compared to airing games in the middle of the night, or alternatively showing games in prime time that were played earlier.
I'm going to diverge from the consensus here and say that having a 10am Sunday game is a great idea, especially if it means getting coverage in the US.

Sunday games are a pain, especially twilight games. Hanging around, waiting for the game to start, while the young fella hassles me asking about how babies are made and the missus is doing my head in about whatever the gripe of the day is... by the time the game comes around, the buzz is gone.

Even when the crowds finally get to attend, I'm much more likely to go to a 10am game than a twilight game. 10am might as well be 2pm when you have kids anyway. You never get to have a lie-in.

Make it happen, Gill!

I'm going to diverge from the consensus here and say that having a 10am Sunday game is a great idea, especially if it means getting coverage in the US.

Sunday games are a pain, especially twilight games. Hanging around, waiting for the game to start, while the young fella hassles me asking about how babies are made and the missus is doing my head in about whatever the gripe of the day is... by the time the game comes around, the buzz is gone.

Even when the crowds finally get to attend, I'm much more likely to go to a 10am game than a twilight game. 10am might as well be 2pm when you have kids anyway. You never get to have a lie-in.

Make it happen, Gill!
Yep, I'd be very happy with a late morning game for sure! Perfect for those of us with kids. Sunday evening games suck for families. I get the timing works for tv, but a 10am game means I'd be home early to mid afternoon to get organised for work/school the next day. Perfect. I hope this is true...

You didn't ask but here's my thoughts anyway: good article. The broadcasting situation is interesting as a deal for this year could help ease some of the $ burden on the league (even a small deal would be handy). As above, one game a week for West Coast primetime could be handy (although would no crowds detract from the 'product'?)

The talent argument I think is perhaps overstated a bit by Roos et al. Yes college athletes have athleticism and raw power, but that alone isn't enough to succeed as a footy player. Folau is hugely gifted athletically but was woeful as he had no idea what was happening.

Aside from a giant like Cox, who can pinch hit in the ruck and has become ok up forward I'm not sure that you'll get a heap of success relative to the expense of scouting players, bringing them over etc. Is it worth it for a role player? Gaelic football is at least a somewhat similar game so they have more of a 'footy brain' coming in.

Then again, if the broadcasting side is fixed up maybe there will be more interest and a pathway could be created? Or broadcasting$ from the USA go towards a talent program?

Thanks mate.

I think the talent argument is pure volume. With so many elite athletes who don't get drafted to NFL/NBA etc, and many of them tall as hell, there could be a lot of Mason Cox types out there, and with more investment into development and recruiting, it could open up a pathway.

Trouble is, that all costs $$$ and every dollar counts so much in this climate.

Yep, I'd be very happy with a late morning game for sure! Perfect for those of us with kids. Sunday evening games suck for families. I get the timing works for tv, but a 10am game means I'd be home early to mid afternoon to get organised for work/school the next day. Perfect. I hope this is true...
Sunday morning TV is dogshit anyway. I'm not sure anyone will miss the Sunrise D-team

Make it happen, Gill!
* id love it 7-8am games on a Sunday over here in Perth. Either just getting home or just getting up. Still gives me time at 10-11 to get s**t done that I need to. I'd actually rather that than the 10-11 start

I think it works superbly too as an interstater. 10am game finished by 2pm, to the airport for a flight or even enough time to drive to Canberra/Sydney/Adelaide straight afterwards.

Club should request that the AFL try one. Shouldn’t be against a Perth team for time zone reasons - ideally against a GWS/GC.

You would also need to time it so it’s not tied into the NBA finals. July/August would be the way to go.

And as a cross-example from the US, if a West Coast NFL team has a “1pm” home game, that game actually starts at 10am local. But as a reverse option, a London NFL game is typically at 7pm local IIRC - but queues up at 10am US East Coast time.

It can be done.

I think it works superbly too as an interstater. 10am game finished by 2pm, to the airport for a flight or even enough time to drive to Canberra/Sydney/Adelaide straight afterwards.

Club should request that the AFL try one. Shouldn’t be against a Perth team for time zone reasons - ideally against a GWS/GC.

You would also need to time it so it’s not tied into the NBA finals. July/August would be the way to go.

And as a cross-example from the US, if a West Coast NFL team has a “1pm” home game, that game actually starts at 10am local. But as a reverse option, a London NFL game is typically at 7pm local IIRC - but queues up at 10am US East Coast time.

It can be done.

Nah * it, they (West Coast, I'm all good with Freo) should be made to come into Melbourne on the midnight horror just for the sake of it.

8am starts over here would be pretty good, have a toddler getting me up well before then any way, and I've got * all to do at that time anyway.

One for you, AmericanAFL - would be keen to hear your thoughts on this piece I've written
I was gonna read your article but decided to twitter stalk you first, and then I got sidetracked and ended up spending a few hours laughing at that crap artist who rehoused the special needs chinese kid she bought instead.

(Edit: Will defo get to it as soon as I can tho, nice work :))

I was gonna read your article but decided to twitter stalk you first, and then I got sidetracked and ended up spending a few hours laughing at that crap artist who rehoused the special needs chinese kid she bought instead.

(Edit: Will defo get to it as soon as I can tho, nice work :))

That story you’re referring to is so disgusting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope , but there is footage of a couple of players having a go at FIFA 20 .
Edit , Ch 9 just showed 10 or so sec of the practice match so there is vision , somewhere .

There was a bit cut into the Tmac interview. All I could find though.

so Alan Richardson was asked who the best set shot at the club was and he said Jack Viney. Surely grounds for instant dismissal?
To be fair, Viney is only ever kicking for goal within 35m which is his limit. From that distance I'd have good numbers.

On Mi A2 Lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Bloody outstanding game. Some huge moments from Watts and OMac. Watts' goal in particular is one of my all-time favourite moments at the footy.

We really did get a good run with the umpiring, though.

Worth it for the Collingwood tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back