General music chat not warranting its own thread thread.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Oh, sorry.

I didn't understand whether you were agreeing with me by listing those artists are proving a point, hence my question mark.

Those guys I'm sure are fun at a party or something. But this forum is just opinion based and that's my opinion. The aforementioned to me are just celebrity, pop culture, rebellious "rappers" with no depth for teenagers to listen to.
What are your thoughts on Lester Young, or Miles?

I listened to "Nothings Shocking" yesterday for the first time in years.

I'd forgotten how good Janes Addiction were.

Dave Navarro sure could work that axe.

I found a twitter yesterday called the Music Brownlow. They nominate a band and you 3,2,1 vote brownlow style your favourite 3 songs by that artist.

Is TISM atm.

Get on.

Yeah am familiar with this.

What you think will win generally will.

What I voted for has no chance of winning.

Obviously being voted on by kids as GTSS and Ol man river and that newer stuff is killing it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Laneway has really gone to the pits. Half of these acts in the bottom rung I have never even heard of, or they're just disposable s**t like Tash Sultana you can see for $35 at every capital city, Geelong, Warrnambool, Canberra, Wollongong, Newcastle...

The point of the festival was to bring out acts who struggle to otherwise. You would never see small-ish acts who would struggle to sell out The Corner on there. Dick Murphy and Lame Impala play night slots at essentially every festival they go to around the world. They are renowned acts across every continent. And Australians can see them on their own tour here and another festival or two twice a year. I don't get it at all. Who hasn't seen them?

They were once upon a time, only two years ago, very ardently anti-over expansion and did not want headliners. Nowadays, seriously, tell me the defining difference between Laneway, Splendour, Falls, and GTM? Throw in the dearth of stupid disposable one-day copycat events around New Years Day and you could switch the lineups for most and not alienate the 'core demographic.'

I know they canned Falls because they wanted to knock off their album but why couldn't they blow that cash on LCD?

Honestly the undercard is ******* terrible. Just low key, random Aussie bullshit and pointless, disposable 'international' ones. I literally only like/tolerate Whitney and Jagwar Ma. It's a pity because a day in the sun sinking piss (though I see it is Buttweiper this year) and seeing Whitney would be great fun. Sideshow it'll be.

Just had this discussion with a mate.

Worst line up ever.

I would like to see Kathleen Hanna's new band but the rest of the line up can consume a rather large satchel of phallus.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like to think I'm pretty across modern music but I have no idea who Floating Points is/are and how they get fourth billing.

It's a s**t line up. And this is from the festival that used to do line ups better than most others.
Who the actual s**t is Floating Points? I haven't spoken to anyone yet who actually knows who he is. I searched him on Spotify, and the song with the most listens only has 900,000. I know Spotify isn't the be all and end all of measuring popularity but it's still a decent indication.

Also, does anyone rate D.D Dumbo? I quite like the couple of songs he's released this year.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Floating Points isn't really for the Triple J crowd, which is what Laneway is now. It was once upon a time very close to being the third Pitchfork fest. I think it was Floating Points who came out last summer for that show at Coburg Velodrome which got about 6,000 or something. There was an album out recently too which got an 8.3 or something, it's sort of minimal electronic stuff more suited to Listen Out (back when it got Shlohmo and not Childish Gambino) or Boney or something.

That sort of electronic s**t is so popular in Melbs and Sydney so it's no surprise FP got a gig. Would cost nothing to fly him out and put up one bloke in a hotel and bill him high. He's fairly popular. It's a diversification selection.

My biggest gripe is having 80% Aussie acts. * me it's so boring. Even if I liked them I'd still be pissed off. It is so lazy. And the undercard being s**t unearthed-core bands Matt & Alex play is a joke. You can see them every four months and have 5 beers for $70. I really don't get the point of having a festival that just gives people bands we've all seen a million times.

And the undercard being s**t unearthed-core bands Matt & Alex play is a joke. You can see them every four months and have 5 beers for $70. I really don't get the point of having a festival that just gives people bands we've all seen a million times.
The problem is that a lot of bands have to take what they get to an industry where people are less likely to just go out and see a band because "hey let's go and see a live band!" There aren't any rock pubs, pop pubs, metal pubs etc. or at least it's nowhere near as widespread as it used to be.

So who are they supposed to get to play the gig that aren't playing around a lot exactly? The actual options for those sort of artists are extremely limited.

Having said that the lineup as is is fairly uninspiring, mainly because I listened to a lot of the artists and my impressions of them are that they're fairly generic or underwhelming.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is that a lot of bands have to take what they get to an industry where people are less likely to just go out and see a band because "hey let's go and see a live band!" There aren't any rock pubs, pop pubs, metal pubs etc. or at least it's nowhere near as widespread as it used to be.

So who are they supposed to get to play the gig that aren't playing around a lot exactly? The actual options for those sort of artists are extremely limited.

Having said that the lineup as is is fairly uninspiring, mainly because I listened to a lot of the artists and my impressions of them are that they're fairly generic or underwhelming.
I sometimes wonder if Laneway have realised it's cheaper to get really big Australian acts because their drawing power is as big as any other band, but their requests for hotels and things will be way less complex and costly. All but Kevin Parker from TA are based in Perth still, and for scungey pricks like Nick Allbrook they're probably happy touring as much as possible to get out of their s**t sharehouse...

Realistically I could come up with a 15 band bill that would suit their intended audience for a relatively acceptable amount of money:
LCD Soundsystem, Weezer (they wouldn't cost that much at all these days and they're trying so hard to be P4K-core by canoodling with Best Coast and getting Wavves to big them up on 7"s), Broken Social Scene, Carly Rae Jepsen, Whitney, Blood Orange, Digable Planets (would be sick), Sales, Destroyer, Grimes, Rejjie Snow, Los Campesinos, Primal Scream, Shabazz Palaces, Beach House, Alvvays, Rostam. Honestly just like five of those would be sufficient enough. They've all put out albums in the last year or are about to, and are touring. Or they haven't played here supporting their latest LP.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I'd imagine Floating Points will be bringing out a band with him, hence the (Live) tag next to his name.

And he aight. Jazz, rock, electronic mash-up sort of stuff; bit of guitar, bit of modular synth, bit of live drumming, etc. Nothing special, and certainly not a headliner on any Laneway lineup other than this one, but he'd be a decent pick to close the Red Bull stage.

Anyone collect vinyls?

Unfortunately the time has come in life where I want to own my own home. And the first to fall victim is my precious vinyl collection. I have vinyls from a lot of Australian bands, plus some international bands too. Mainly from Powderfinger, Silverchair, Birds of Tokyo, The Living End, JET, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys etc and mostly unopened and all unplayed. My question is, does anyone here have any experience in selling vinyls? Where's the best place to sell and/or fairly price them?

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I'm more than a little over the scourge of cover band nights infesting Perth at the very least. Every venue now seems to be doing the classic album thing. The Astor Theatre (a brilliant venue) was covered in banners on the weekend:

"Karen Carpenter: A tribute"
"The John Denver Show"
"The man in black"

The words tribute etc seem to be in smaller and smaller font all the time. Local musicians are guilty of joining in too. The Record club in Fremantle ffeaturing many who do their own original music join in in these supergroups.

Then there's the Daft Punk tribute show I saw at the Freo Beer Fest the other week. Two guys in robot outfits playing CDs.

Back