GF at the MCG. Casual corruption or Weak Non-Vic clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the only professional organisation in the world that has the GF in one location every year. Ever tried to explain how the GF is at the MCG every year to someone from the US, UK or Europe? They just can't understand how the teams from outside Melbourne allow it to happen.

FA Cup? And most of their European league equivalents e.g. Bundesliga version is always held in Berlin and La Liga version always held in Rome.

Not to say it should be happening in our league of course.

Probably the same as being every Vic teams fault that they don’t play at Subiaco very well.

The better teams generally don’t travel so bad.

I’m not say there is no disadvantage, rather that we are worst at the G than the averagevictorian side is in Perth.

FA Cup? And most of their European league equivalents e.g. Bundesliga version is always held in Berlin and La Liga version always held in Rome.

Fa cups at a neutral venue - wembley - tottenham are currently using it as a home ground

“Tottenham intend to play at Wembley for a single season while their new 61,000-seat ground is completed. The cost of the overall project is about £750million and Spurs hope to be able to move in at the start of the 2018-19 campaign.”

There has been a significant amount of Victorian chest beating on the main board, mostly from the usual suspects, which is the worst part to be honest. For now at least, the G makes the most sense to host the GF, financially. But hypothetically, let's say that another 100k stadium was built somewhere else in the country, would the AFL even consider moving the game even once? I think we'd be more likely to see Gero admit that Victoria isn't the greatest place on Earth (approaching zero). I can't see the GF moving this century, unless something drastic happens.

As I said above, I never thought it would move and can live with it being at the MCG but the length of the agreement is ridiculous and there is no question this is a Vic centric competition. Trying to explain that to my Vic mates does my head in and makes me want to pound them severely when they have their smug Vic attitude of me just being a whinging WA person etc and refuse to acknowledge it (but being mates of course I suppress it with a "f u campaigner instead").

Fa cups at a neutral venue - wembley - tottenham are currently using it as a home ground

“Tottenham intend to play at Wembley for a single season while their new 61,000-seat ground is completed. The cost of the overall project is about £750million and Spurs hope to be able to move in at the start of the 2018-19 campaign.”

Fair enough.

Somewhere in a parallel universe there was a true national competition created in the 1980s with the best teams from Vic, SA and WA.

Not like for like - Travel is not significant and you don't have an example where a huge cluster of teams play in one remote city - for example there are only two teams in Rome.

Rome is also the national capital

This all creates a very different scenario

Not like for like - Travel is not significant and you don't have an example where a huge cluster of teams play in one remote city - for example there are only two teams in Rome.

Rome is also the national capital

This all creates a very different scenario

Didn't say it was like for like, just contradicting the OP's statement that
This is the only professional organisation in the world that has the GF in one location every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't expect our administration to say anything; there is nothing to gain by doing so.

Say they go feral and complain about it publicly to the media - then what happens?
  • the AFL responds with a statement that "if they don't like it, they are free to hand the license back and leave".
  • Victorian clubs and AFL-controlled clubs speak out publicly against our actions, saying that they are not useful to the sport.
  • The Vic-centric media lap-up "CrazyEagles-gate" and the club becomes the pariah of the competition.
  • Media start narrowing their focus to how the club have stirred up parochial state divisions that are leading to violence.
  • AFL releases a statement cautioning the club in regard to inciting violent fan behaviour.
  • An unfortunate and isolated incident is perpetrated by an away fan at one of our home games - immediately the club is targeted by the media for inciting crowd violence and that "something has to be done".
  • AFL releases a statement that the club has brought the game into disrepute. The club is to be fined and stripped of their first picks for the next two seasons.

An extreme example, maybe. But why risk getting censured and losing the little you have for the gain of zero?

I wouldn't expect our administration to say anything; there is nothing to gain by doing so.

Say they go feral and complain about it publicly to the media - then what happens?
  • the AFL responds with a statement that "if they don't like it, they are free to hand the license back and leave".
  • Victorian clubs and AFL-controlled clubs speak out publicly against our actions, saying that they are not useful to the sport.
  • The Vic-centric media lap-up "CrazyEagles-gate" and the club becomes the pariah of the competition.
  • Media start narrowing their focus to how the club have stirred up parochial state divisions that are leading to violence.
  • AFL releases a statement cautioning the club in regard to inciting violent fan behaviour.
  • An unfortunate and isolated incident is perpetrated by an away fan at one of our home games - immediately the club is targeted by the media for inciting crowd violence and that "something has to be done".
  • AFL releases a statement that the club has brought the game into disrepute. The club is to be fined and stripped of their first picks for the next two seasons.

An extreme example, maybe. But why risk getting censured and losing the little you have for the gain of zero?
Less Chamberlain, more Churchill please Dylan!

If they are saying it’s tradition now. Can only imagine it will be 0 chance if it moving after another 40 years there. Where the Gf going to be played when the G Is getting it’s work done it won’t be at 100k then or near it

It’s an unpopular view I’m sure but I think our pathetic MCG form is our own fault.

In every sport, AFL, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey et etc there is clear evidence that the home team holds an advantage. A very good team can beat a lesser opponent away but if the 2 teams are evenly matched the home team wins most times.

There is the travel factor, the home crowd factor and the venue itself. It seems to me that the venue is not as big a factor as some people say because the home court advantage exists in Basketball where venues are essentially the same.

When it is a grand final and an interstate team is playing a team that call the MCG home it is not a level playing field.

I don't see why people accept that disadvantage.

In every sport, AFL, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey et etc there is clear evidence that the home team holds an advantage. A very good team can beat a lesser opponent away but if the 2 teams are evenly matched the home team wins most times.

There is the travel factor, the home crowd factor and the venue itself. It seems to me that the venue is not as big a factor as some people say because the home court advantage exists in Basketball where venues are essentially the same.

When it is a grand final and an interstate team is playing a team that call the MCG home it is not a level playing field.

I don't see why people accept that disadvantage.
Even the venue - at your home ground its another day at the office.

With afl grounds radically different shape and dimensions it becomes bigger again.

I think the FA Cup is played at Wembley which is a neutral venue. I would have less of an issue with the MCG decision if it was neutral and no teams had it as their home ground.

Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood play there about 14 times per season and West Coast, Adelaide and Freo etc play there once or twice a year, three times at the most.

In the GF last year Sloane had played at the G about 20 times in his career and Dusty over 120 times.

It’s a joke. Without doubt the GF is the biggest issue but let’s look at the other benefits the Vic clubs get.

-ALL the public holiday games
-Interstate play a lot more games at the teams 2nd homes (Alice springs, Darwin Tassie)
- we should demand we play Vic teams in Melbourne and Hawks ect at the G. Their home ground
- Vic teams get Less Sunday twightlight games
- they Schedule thederbies and showdowns on the crap time slots (Make the Derby a Easter Friday ‘tradition’)
-we make a deal with Brissy about selling a home game to us and the AFL highjack so their owner team gets it and sells it to Freo
-2 Vic teams have to go. Nth and WB

I never thought they would move it (at least not in my lifetime) and I can live with that. But they need to acknowledge it is unfair and work out ways to even that up. As dajesmac said, share games at the MCG more fairly for a start. It doesn't take away the travel factor but it's something. Allow interstate teams to train on it. Allow interstate teams a COLA type payment/allowance out of cap for the extra cost of flying and acknowledge flying impacts on length of careers (which is not really a GF issue). Not sure what can be done for fans to have better access to the GF (given extra costs) but there are things they can do to improve the situation and to acknowledge there is a distinct advantage to Vic based teams.

Edit:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-after-grand-final-snub-20180413-p4z9h0.html
Interesting that there has been no comment by our club. I suspect the first we heard of it was on the day like freo and we weren't happy didn't fit the vic media happy story they were pushing

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said except this part, which unfortunately a lot of people are still running with.

The fact that home ground advantage also exists in sports where venue dimensions are the same proves that venue dimensions are not the only component of the HFA.

You don't need to be a stats wiz to make a convincing argument that the venue shape can make a very big difference, and that the size of the discrepancy across grounds depends on gameplan. For example, if your gameplan involves going wide out to the wing, opening space in the corridor and then cutting back inside (typical of a lot of sides at the MCG), well, Subi never afforded teams that luxury.

That is only one example but you could think of many more - the point is that depending on what gameplan the team is trained to execute the venue itself could either be not much of a problem or a huge one.

I have to admit i am frustrated at the lack of comment from the Eagles administration on why so little negoiation was done as part of the new GF agreement. I never seriously expected the GF to move from the MCG in my lifetime. But i would have hoped the Eagles administration put more of a fight than gleefully accepting charter flight when we make it, and more training sessions on the G (will we be even able to make use of them).

Now is the time Eagles started demanding the AFL let Melbourne based clubs sell their home games to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back