GF at the MCG. Casual corruption or Weak Non-Vic clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Jedi

Draftee
Apr 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure about you guys, but I honestly thought the GF at the MCG was going to becoming a rolling fixture at various locations around Australia, and naively thought it would happen over the next ten years.

This is the only professional organisation in the world that has the GF in one location every year. Ever tried to explain how the GF is at the MCG every year to someone from the US, UK or Europe? They just can't understand how the teams from outside Melbourne allow it to happen.

But you know what, the Non Vic teams have only themselves to blame. All the Non Vic teams combined have so much power, yet they sit by idly and allow this casual corruption to happen. AFL headquarters and club presidents like Eddie must find it hysterical that they can casually make these moves without a whimper from the non Vic clubs.

And that goes for WA, SA and NSW media too. Why aren't they getting stuck into the AFL and the clubs for allowing this to happen. Where are the tough questions to Gil about unfairness, and also to Trevor Nisbett for rolling over. Especially the pro Rugby NSW and Queensland media, that could have a field day with this, hoping to turn many young AFL players away from the game in NSW.

Other things that are laughable about this:
- The home of the AFL is the Melbourne CRICKET Ground! Really. Just Imagine the Home of NFL being the Chicago cubs Baseball pitch.
- So the AFL did this new MCG to 2057 thing because the Vic Governmnet promised to make all the facilities to the VIC teams better. Great, so the AFL extended the MCG thing, and made the Vic clubs stronger while doing it. If instead the AFL promised the Non Vic teams a billion dollars worth of upgrades, weekly chartered flights etc. Then you could at least justify it, but no, the extra money will go to the Vic clubs.

Not sure if this is a vent, or these are justified thoughts.

The only 2 interstate sides with even a bees dick of power are West Coast and the Crows. So in essence it's the Vics, the smaller interstaters and ones directly under control of the AFL sucking their utensil against 2 clubs.

You know if they came out and admitted to being a biased, corrupt, money hungry bunch of campaigners rather than 'a national competition' with the 'best interests of the game' at heart then i'd be fine with it. I however am not some muppet ******* mushroom who will be happy with being kept in the dark and fed bullshit.

I had accepted that the MCG was contracted until 2038(?) so to just go and extend that for another 20 years when Adelaide and Perth have improved their facilities so much is a joke. Maybe the MCG is the best place for it but at least have an open dialogue about it.

It smacks of back scratching and back room deals. SA and WA governments asleep at the wheel to let this happen under their noses also.

The seating issue is a red herring. A grannie in Adelaide or Perth once every 5-10 years would easily sell the tickets at a higher price to cover the difference.

The bigger picture is that the Game is dominate by a small gene pool of decision makers and commentator's- this never works in the long run.

Innovation and change are stifled and the decline will be slow but inevitable.
It will never be a true national sporting competition - just a circus put on for entertainment to make money. It will not engage with other communities outside Melbourne in a real and meaningful way or grow as it could . This is just a symptom but also a significant symbolic decision.

Hello soccer in the long term. Sounds unimaginable? Huge following of OS comps already in this county - it will only take one world cup here and we will be part of the world game.

Hello soccer in the long term. Sounds unimaginable? Huge following of OS comps already in this county - it will only take one world cup here and we will be part of the world game.

The FFA have been completely incompetent for years. The A(V)FL is frustrating and often unfair but it is a smartly run organisation IMHO.

Mind you, I see your point as to the frustration element but there isnt much competition to the AFL. The OS league clubs will never be mainstream in another country and I can't see the FFA improving the A-league to anywhere near where the AFL is

The bigger picture is that the Game is dominate by a small gene pool of decision makers and commentator's- this never works in the long run.

Innovation and change are stifled and the decline will be slow but inevitable.
It will never be a true national sporting competition - just a circus put on for entertainment to make money. It will not engage with other communities outside Melbourne in a real and meaningful way or grow as it could . This is just a symptom but also a significant symbolic decision.

The sport of Aussie rules is so entrenched in our culture that it can't decline - there might be periods of recession, but football will always maintain a significant presence.

The AFL should do more for dwindling interstate clubs though (especially in Queensland), other than just pure financial support.

Last edited:
Why are you surprised?

Naive is an understatement. The AFL already had a lengthy contract with the G for grand finals

I'd be interested to hear what our club hierarchy says but it will be just towing
the line. You wonder if they would even care anyway since they make the most profit in the league.

Was never going to be otherwise. 100 000 seats v 60 000, max. 40 000 fewer tickets to hand out to 'corporate partners' or gouge supporters for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was never going to be otherwise. 100 000 seats v 60 000, max. 40 000 fewer tickets to hand out to 'corporate partners' or gouge supporters for.

It's really not.
  1. Competing Club Members 16,000 - 35,000
  2. AFL Clubs (18) 0 - 10,000
  3. MCC Reserve 16,000 - 26,000
  4. AFL Members 13,000 - 23,000
  5. AFL/Medallion Club Members 3,000 - 5,000
  6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligation 5,000 - 30,000
  7. Competing Clubs 0 - 5,000
Take out MCC and AFL members tickets and you're down to 60k anyway. I'm sure 1 year out of every 9 it could be in WA, completely sell out and have 50% higher ticket prices for the grand final on the selected years.

AFL can still have their 30k of corporate and ticket packages and competing clubs can have 30k as well. 50% of a stadium with club members if much better than the min of 16-35% currently.

I favour the team that earned the right to play at their home ground in a GF than the entitlements of some corporate peddlers in the AFL. It's a national comp, for people not to realise the Vic bias in this deal is absurd.

I favour the team that earned the right to play at their home ground in a GF than the entitlements of some corporate peddlers in the AFL. It's a national comp, for people not to realise the Vic bias in this deal is absurd.

You do, I do, most supporters do, but the people who make the decisions don't.

I don't think you can really have the grand final played at the highest qualifiers home ground. The AFL would have to book 4+ venues in advance to enable them to get it up on a weeks notice.

A rotational system is the next best thing to at least spread the grannie love around and at least pretend the comp is national.

I don't think you can really have the grand final played at the highest qualifiers home ground. The AFL would have to book 4+ venues in advance to enable them to get it up on a weeks notice.

A rotational system is the next best thing to at least spread the grannie love around and at least pretend the comp is national.

The fairest system is having the highest qualifier in the GF get home ground advantage, its true for almost every other sport in the world. If a week in between isn't enough for travel/setup then make the lead up 2 weeks. Gives players the best chance to get right for the game and the venue to prepare fully.

I had accepted that the MCG was contracted until 2038(?) so to just go and extend that for another 20 years when Adelaide and Perth have improved their facilities so much is a joke. Maybe the MCG is the best place for it but at least have an open dialogue about it.

It smacks of back scratching and back room deals. SA and WA governments asleep at the wheel to let this happen under their noses also.

The seating issue is a red herring. A grannie in Adelaide or Perth once every 5-10 years would easily sell the tickets at a higher price to cover the difference.
Game Of Mates.
Business as usual in Orstralia

They can do it for the prelim/semi-finals, no reason they can't do it for the grand final

If it has to stay at the G then no club should have the G as their home ground. Each team should get roughly the same opportunities to play there as anyone else.

The Vic teams would still have the advantage of not having to travel for the GF but at least it would be a neutral venue.

Another unfair aspect is that a Melbourne based supporter can go to the GF without having fork out for air fares and accommodation.

The FFA have been completely incompetent for years. The A(V)FL is frustrating and often unfair but it is a smartly run organisation IMHO.

Mind you, I see your point as to the frustration element but there isnt much competition to the AFL. The OS league clubs will never be mainstream in another country and I can't see the FFA improving the A-league to anywhere near where the AFL is
FFA who cares - FIFA like money and TV is the go - we live in a changing world. Big European clubs will fill any stadium in Australia on an occasional basis as well. This only grows the market.

A lot of people here deeply underestimate two things:
  • the arrogance of Victoria in general when it comes to the sport.
  • the overlap that occurs between business, politics and sports administration in that state.

Even the creation of a splinter-league, with the backing of a billionaire would fail - the clubs involved wouldn't be able to gain access to any modern venues due to contractual obligations providing exclusivity.

The only way I can see change occurring is if the Federal government for some reason saw a benefit in getting involved.

They could threaten that the levels of funding both the AFL and Victorian state government receive will be reduced if change is not implemented.

Because let's be fair this isn't really about sport - it's about money and shoring up political futures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back