Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for the most part, our youth is pretty good. If we could get LDU to take the next step, as well as find a young key defender and ruckman, we’ll be establishing our core for the next generation. The question is, how patient can everyone be with Rhyce, knowing how 10 years with Brad Scott drained a lot of patience and hope for little reward.

He's got three years with these guys nd has said he wants a flag in that time.

If he's not genuinely contending by then ... Well I guess we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

There is a thread on the drafts board stating that there is a possibility that lists will go down to 35 with no rookie lists. This was confirmed by James Bartel on The Age Podcast.

What will it mean for our list and drafting/trading?

There is a thread on the drafts board stating that there is a possibility that lists will go down to 35 with no rookie lists. This was confirmed by James Bartel on The Age Podcast.

Would of thought it makes lower picks even more valuable considering a single pick makes up a larger % of your list allocation.

Let the GWS and GC raid begin.

I doubt it will happen at most could see them removing rookie lists

The soft cap is already going down 3mil there won’t need to be further cuts especially with the afl securing the line of credit

It would mean delisting at least 15 players given we have 4 top 30 picks...

I’m not sure that getting rid of the lowest paid portion of your list is going to make much difference.

However, Cornes believed there was no need to bring teenagers into the system in 2020, given there will be an abundance of out of contract players that will need to be delisted.

“You don’t need a draft this year, lift the draft age to 19, you’ve said lists are going to be shortened to 35, so just hold off on the draft,” he said.

However, Cornes believed there was no need to bring teenagers into the system in 2020, given there will be an abundance of out of contract players that will need to be delisted.

“You don’t need a draft this year, lift the draft age to 19, you’ve said lists are going to be shortened to 35, so just hold off on the draft,” he said.

It's officially what footy has become? No footy so we'll have a trade period to give knobs like Cornes something to talk about.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Hang on, as long as the traded in picks (such as our extra 1st rounder etc) just come into action for a 2021 draft... I agree with Kane Bunions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF they combined the 2020/2021 draft pools without raising the age, then my god we have landed the mother load.

Will be the strongest draft this decade.

Wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Crocker, Murphy, Campbell, Hall, Tyson, Garner, Wood, Hosie, McKay, Hayden, Jacobs, Vickers-Willis, Ahern, McGuinness and Turner. Durdin just makes the cut for key position depth.

Crocker, Murphy, Campbell, Hall, Tyson, Garner, Wood, Hosie, McKay, Hayden, Jacobs, Vickers-Willis, Ahern, McGuinness and Turner. Durdin just makes the cut for key position depth.
Would leave us with.
B: Williams Tarrant Daw
HB: Atley Walker Pittard
C: Dumont Cunnington Polec
HF: Ziebell Larkey Thomas
F: Zurhaar Brown Taylor
Foll: Goldstein Higgins Simpkin
Int: Anderson, Macmillan, Davies-Uniacke, McDonald

Reserve/developing: Xerri, Scott, Bonar, Walker, Perez, Comben, Mahony, Durdin.

Not a nice experiment. I hope they don't do this.

Scrap the draft, assessing under 18 form is bad enough let alone under 17 form. It's actually a perfect opportunity to lift the draft age which has always been too young.
Agree. And as I stated earlier it would mean there would be much more interest in the state leagues as the young guns will be coming through. I'd like to see the draft age raised to 20.

Agree. And as I stated earlier it would mean there would be much more interest in the state leagues as the young guns will be coming through. I'd like to see the draft age raised to 20.
Paul Roos has always argued for it to be lifted to 21.

As it is now AFL clubs are part professional football team, part development team. If we're lowering the lists to 35 or something in that range and don't want to reduce the standard of the competition we need to think about no longer having so many young players on our lists. A minority of them are ready to go straight out of high school and there should be a provision to recruit those guys as there is in the NBA, but they are few and far between.

Would expect Hall, Hayden, Vickers-Willis, Turner and Ahern to be well ahead of Durdin. Still, I can’t see them cutting lists that drastically. Maybe primary lists down to 35 from 40?

Would expect Hall, Hayden, Vickers-Willis, Turner and Ahern to be well ahead of Durdin. Still, I can’t see them cutting lists that drastically. Maybe primary lists down to 35 from 40?
I'd imagine we'd want one depth key defender. Chronically injured types like EVW and Kyron would be the last players you would keep. Anyway just hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back