News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it weird that they are putting in the seats now given the stand isnt predicted to be done before the end of this season?

Some of us were talking tonight about the possibility that they may be trying to have the ground level bays ready for the Essendon game, could that be a chance?
I would say absolutely not... no one will be allowed in until the whole thing is completed and signed off by the builders/inspectors etc... The seats going in may well just be that they have there and if you get them installed they are out of the way. There will be a heap of stuff going on underneath and inside as well, plenty of moving parts with it all coming together late this year is my guess

The exterior and back are coming along well aren't they, all the roof dramas I assume meant that other things are priority and the roof going on will be one of the last stages? Get everything else in order and put the lid on last so to speak?

The exterior and back are coming along well aren't they, all the roof dramas I assume meant that other things are priority and the roof going on will be one of the last stages? Get everything else in order and put the lid on last so to speak?
Don't they usually do the roof first on these big jobs?

Don't they usually do the roof first on these big jobs?
They'd normally put it together upside down on the outside then flip it over when ready in one big piece, it's quite magical

The Moorabool St wing wouldn't need to go to that extreme, but either way would probably need to buy out the shops that sit opposite between the Foster and Lonsdale Streets. Biggest issue will be the servo and contaminated soil. The easy but expensive fix is to excavate and fill with concrete instead of waiting for settlement which takes years. Could keep the middle hollow to save on concrete costs.

Can they dig it all up and have a basement to comply?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope cats can push to get stage 6 done and complete this stadium all the way around, will be awesome.
Stage 6 may as well be a new Stage 1 as I can’t see anything else happening for at least 15 to 20 years. The Hickey Stand is modern enough and there too many issues with the road as has been discussed at length. Perhaps they could extend the sides but the walkways giving people access to the stand might make it tough.

It’s been a slow process but the club has done very well to give us a modern stadium we can be proud of.

Id be pretty keen for them to Knockdown S1 and redevelop to tie it into the rest of the stadium. Roofline would be clean, keep the claws though 100%.

Seriously too, id be keen for them to push the ground 10-15m East onto Moorabool St. I get the issues around it absolutely, but it would add more seats again to like 45k. A lot of money involved to remove the shops and reditrect the road or what not.

If you drag out the stand roof and playing surface....roughly, you get something like this......

1689555773889.png

Id be pretty keen for them to Knockdown S1 and redevelop to tie it into the rest of the stadium. Roofline would be clean, keep the claws though 100%.

Seriously too, id be keen for them to push the ground 10-15m East onto Moorabool St. I get the issues around it absolutely, but it would add more seats again to like 45k. A lot of money involved to remove the shops and reditrect the road or what not.

If you drag out the stand roof and playing surface....roughly, you get something like this......

View attachment 1741099

The phased redevelopment of Kardinia Park prioritised keeping the thing open instead of building a good stadium.

This oddly shaped oval is the end result.

There is no prospect of the stand ever being able to extend onto Moorabool Street. None.

The phased redevelopment of Kardinia Park prioritised keeping the thing open instead of building a good stadium.

This oddly shaped oval is the end result.

There is no prospect of the stand ever being able to extend onto Moorabool Street. None.

I get that. Just saying, id be all for it if they did....and what that could look like.

The oddly shaped oval is due to the construction starting on Moorabool St. If they had started elsewhere, the playing dimensions could have been altered.

The oddly shaped oval is due to the construction starting on Moorabool St. If they had started elsewhere, the playing dimensions could have been altered.

Hence my comment..

The whole thing was painfully short sighted.

I can't think of another sport on earth where the playing dimensions of the fields are so wildly inconsistent. Amateur hour.

Last edited:
Hence my comment..

The whole thing was painfully short sighted.

I can't think of another sport on earth where the playing dimensions of the fields are so wildly inconsistent. Amateur hour.
Cricket, golf, horse racing, come to mind.

Compared to Australian Rules Football across the country at all levels, the AFL grounds are quite similar. I think a bit of variety makes it interesting.

No its not. Ground has always been the shape dictated by being built next to a road. No different to subi over in Perth. The redevelopments havent made the oval materially narrower.

The redevelopmnet was the opportunity to rectify it.

Instead the club pursued keeping the gates open over building a good stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back