Play Nice Goal Umpire costs Adelaide a shot at finals, how do you stop it from happening again?

Should Adelaide appeal the result vs Sydney (poll reset with new option)

• Go to court if appeals are unsuccessfull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that annoys me is all of this talk about how the AFL will "sell" it and come out of it looking good from a PR standpoint. Which is unfortunately true. Because the idea of just coming out and being honest is too much to ask for from the AFL.

He definitely doesn't deserve to lose his job.

We see people in football make mistakes all the time. This is a bad one but i would hate tp live in a world where people don't get a second chance because they screwed up in a sport
Agree. But unfortunately it’s the world we live in. Make a mistake and you will be dragged through the mud by people on social media and the media itself.

I think the Goal umpire should personally have to pay the club for its losses for not making the finals. Make him work for free until it gets paid off, if he doesn’t do it send him to jail.

The AFL will no doubt come out in support of the goal umpire though and “tick” this one off.

When we say “failure to review”, we mean by the goal umpire yeah?

Because points aren’t automatically reviewed.

I feel like people think that a video umpire can just randomly jump in at any time and change things…that’s not the rules.
Both goal umpire and field umpire.

Points should be reviewed and if there is cause the review (like there was in this instance), the game should be stopped and brought back while the reviews happens.

There was a Membrey shot at goal in 2020 that was initially called a point then after a replay, it was reviewed and rightfully made a goal so there is precedence in that happening.

I think they'll throw Adelaide the smallest of crumbs and say something like they will conduct a review of the processes to try and ensure this doesn't happen again.

Needs to be some sort of fail safe. If they review every goal they should review every behind as well, and have the ability to call play back if there was an error.

I'm not convinced they review every goal though as they say.

Or, put gps or lasers in the balls or something

Agree, it's a silly though train. It'll be a standard sorry, a standard overreaction next weekend and a standard process change (that will, in total AFL standard, go balls up).

What I find more weird is how despite their being no way to overturn the result, Sydney posters continue to try and find equivalence by a couple of supposed dodgy calls against them. As if a missed HTB is the same as this.

This is no longer about Adelaide, this is about a broken system and EVERY club should be mad Sydney included. But no, tribalism turns Swans' brains to mush

s**t decisions are s**t decisions , Guldens "throw" is no different , poor decisions by scorning officials during the game get stuffed a lot. You are only up in arms about this because you think it cost you the lead at that moment. Umpiring is a joke all round and influences way too many moments and games they are all comparable . Was that a goal? yeah *en looked it to me, but i've seen my side screwed many times , as have we all and we all end up on the winning side of this s**t. We also all carry on the same depending which side we are in too.

Kick straighter next time and stop whinging I guess

Needs to be some sort of fail safe. If they review every goal they should review every behind as well, and have the ability to call play back if there was an error.

I'm not convinced they review every goal though as they say.

Or, put gps or lasers in the balls or something

they claim the bunker has 45 seconds to disagree with all decisions in the press
about score reviews, but who knows

I said after Carlton Melbourne scrap it all and live with the umpires calls.

Good timing hey

But in all seriousness * it, just as accurate overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible call. For the most part they are stupidly conservative and review everything. Bizarre decision and even as a Swans fan you have to feel awful for Adelaide.

And for those calling for the result to be overturned, that argument only holds if it was after (or right on) the siren. Can't possibly predict what would have happened if the goal was called correctly and play restarted in the middle with ~90 seconds left.

Why not just admit the mistake and allow the Crows to play in the VFL finals so they can try to win a flag there. Then everyone is happy.

If they get a better system it will be one less AFL talking point...all publicity is good publicity policy working as intended.

s**t decisions are s**t decisions , Guldens "throw" is no different , poor decisions by scorning officials during the game get stuffed a lot. You are only up in arms about this because you think it cost you the lead at that moment. Umpiring is a joke all round and influences way too many moments and games they are all comparable . Was that a goal? yeah *en looked it to me, but i've seen my side screwed many times , as have we all and we all end up on the winning side of this s**t. We also all carry on the same depending which side we are in too.

Kick straighter next time and stop whinging I guess

The problem with your trollish argument is that even when Keays did kick straight they found a way to chalk it off.

And no, I'm not up in arms because it's Adelaide, in fact you can go back in this thread and see where I have said twice (including once very early on and indeed in the very post you are replying to) that this isn't about Adelaide. Do you have the stones to admit you fired the wrong shot here? Doubtful.

Also, the plethora of neutral fans in here would suggest your argument is false.

If you want to suggest that all s**t decisions are equal you are going to have a hard time proving it.

You can find some calls that should've gone your way and some calls that should've gone our way. That's footy, but if you aren't already getting thr sense that maybe this one sits in a higher tier than a missed HTB then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, and in case you missed it for the THIRD time, I would rather this conversation be about the issue rather than the teams.

After watching the replay and slow motion multiple times it was 100% a goal.

However the result will remain regardless of the argument.

The big investigation this week will be McAdam and no concussion test. Might result in please explain followed by a fine.
McAdam loves flopping down like that after heavy contact. I've seen him do that multiple times. He was fine.

It was an absolutely horrendous call and shouldn't have happened, however it's refreshing to see a goal ump make a call without bailing themselves out with a review. Too much time is wasted on basic calls the ump should be able to make...however in this instance, he probably should have double checked

Why not just admit the mistake and allow the Crows to play in the VFL finals so they can try to win a flag there. Then everyone is happy.
I know you’re dying to claim vIc bIaS, but last time i checked the Swans are from Sydney and they get more kissed on the **** by the AFL than anyone from Victoria 👍

It was an absolutely horrendous call and shouldn't have happened, however it's refreshing to see a goal ump make a call without bailing themselves out with a review. Too much time is wasted on basic calls the ump should be able to make...however in this instance, he probably should have double checked

Refreshing for Swans fans, because the one time the goal umpire does back themselves they get it horrendously wrong and end a club's season.

I think that call shows why goal umpires are usually conservative when it comes to making calls without going to a reivew. Unless they are 100% sure it is safer for them to just review it.

I know you’re dying to claim vIc bIaS, but last time i checked the Swans are from Sydney and they get more kissed on the **** by the AFL than anyone from Victoria 👍

Swans are actually from South Melbourne originally, actually. There are a lot of very influential south melbourne people pulling the strings.

Back