Play Nice Goal Umpire costs Adelaide a shot at finals, how do you stop it from happening again?

Should Adelaide appeal the result vs Sydney (poll reset with new option)

• Go to court if appeals are unsuccessfull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if they force Ben Keays to do the salute to the crowd again before going back to the middle

Umpires on the field have to make quick decisions, and the play can progress quickly. Some level of error is inevitable.

However, goal umpires have the ability to refer decisions that they're not sure about. When one team is celebrating a goal and the umpire calls a point without having it checked, that's where the umpire is staking his entire career on being right. There is ZERO EXCUSE for getting this wrong when he can refer.
Surety of Judgement, Umpire should call it how they see it. He did.

How players, the crowd and anyone else carries on is just noise. Taking that into account in decision making is just madness.

A review denies the other team a quick rebound. Every course of action has a cost.

Change the rule to the same as Rugby and Soccer - if it hits the post but still goes between the posts then its a goal (and same with behinds versus out of bounds).

That eliminates some (not all) contentious decisions involving the posts. The Tom Lynch one would still be an issue as it went over the posts.
What happens if the siren has gone and the final shot hits the post and rebounds into the field of play? No score or behind?

Richmond went on about the ARC for three weeks last year for a correct decision. Let’s see if the crows can go the distance.
TBH .. right now I don't give a sh*t

Gillon can GAGF though. If Dillon pulls his finger out and introduces the best available tech to mitigate this it could be a win

Sounds like our Chairman is pushing the AFL to stop making the interstate teams (well Adelaide anyway) do all the heavy lifting by playing the majority of the regional games as a result of this fiasco. And tbh I'm getting tired of playing games in Alice Springs or Ballarat or Cairns or Darwin or Hobart or Launceston every year to help prop up financial basket case clubs in Melbourne

Lol .. probably won't change

Our chairman on radio today was incredulous in an interview that the AFL spent Saturday night trying to prove the goal was a point. Until they eventually conceded it was goal on Sunday

The AFL is our version of WWE .. professional, but not serious

I say we travel to all the universes (maybe send Gil on the investigation rocket with Like Darcy, Slobbo and Tom Browne) that exist - as per the multiverse theory - tally up the results of each universe, and see which team won in more universes.

Early results have Sydney on top at 4,739,129,566 wins with Adelaide at 4,100,029,483 wins - but fear not Crows fans, in the Western Hemisphere many universes never had the 2017 Crows go on “the camp” so you’re a chance!

Surety of Judgement, Umpire should call it how they see it. He did.

How players, the crowd and anyone else carries on is just noise. Taking that into account in decision making is just madness.

A review denies the other team a quick rebound. Every course of action has a cost.
Except the could have easily copied the NHL’s system, where play continues while the review occurs, and if it’s adjudicated a goal they would reset the clock to where it was and have a centre bounce.

It’s frankly embarrassing how the AFL seems unable to learn from other professional codes at times.

This comes after the Allir/Jones incident. Both situations that other codes had either had and learnt from, or predicted and already come up with a solution, but somehow the AFL gets caught with its dick in its hand.

They could literally fix this particular problem tomorrow. Obviously serious investment needs to be made in the technology to fix issues like the elimination final last year and Petracca’s goal last week, but the flaws in the process are easily fixed, and should be BEFORE finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because there's a rule written for the interchange infringement

There's no such ruling for reviewing points

If you're arguing for it to be added, ok. But they can't just make that s**t up as they go during the game
i'm not so much asking it to be added as pointing out that the idiots in the afl didn't even consider the scenario. they state they want goal umps to be decisive and that's a good thing. but it will encourage calls like that - so you'd think they could conceive an adequate safeguard.

TBH .. right now I don't give a sh*t

Gillon can GAGF though. If Dillon pulls his finger out and introduces the best available tech to mitigate this it could be a win

Sounds like our Chairman is pushing the AFL to stop making the interstate teams (well Adelaide anyway) do all the heavy lifting by playing the majority of the regional games as a result of this fiasco. And tbh I'm getting tired of playing games in Alice Springs or Ballarat or Cairns or Darwin or Hobart or Launceston every year to help prop up financial basket case clubs in Melbourne

Lol .. probably won't change

Our chairman on radio today was incredulous in an interview that the AFL spent Saturday night trying to prove the goal was a point. Until they eventually conceded it was goal on Sunday

The AFL is our version of WWE .. professional, but not serious
We should be getting a better draw, venue wise, regardless of this issue.

The past 3 years we’ve played 10 games at country/boutique stadiums. That was fair when we were s**t, but now we’re a likely finals contender and the second highest scoring team in the league our draw should reflect that.

We shouldn’t be demanding compensation, we should be demanding that the obvious flaws in the system be fixed so that it doesn’t happen again.

That seems to be a consensus with other fans I've asked. I think it's a better move than rely on adjudications.

I see no reason why it shouldn’t be an obvious option. No other sports - even allowing for the ‘point for missing’ anomaly - have this caveat that says ‘it has to go through but has to go through via a certain path.’

Knowing the integrity of the AFL, or lack thereof, they'll probably double down and offer Adelaide a straight sets exit of Port from the finals as an olive branch.

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised no one has thought of this solution to the incorrect behind call during the Adelaide v Sydney match. It's so simple

there is 1 minute 14 seconds left when Keays kicks the goal
So they should bring the two teams back again to play the last 1 minute 14 seconds from the centre bounce - maybe tomorrow or the day after.
Do it at Adelaide Oval, or if its unavailable, maybe at the old AAMI stadium.
This will answer the question as to whether the swans would've still been able to win the game.

Thoughts?

Edit: I thought it might be a little unfair to start fresh since it won't replicate the game scenario late in the 4th quarter. So I propose that all players must run 10km before we restart the game to replicate fatigue levels for maximum fidelity to the ingame situation.

There is another thread about this, where this was the proposed about a million times before, do you not check other threads?

Knowing the integrity of the AFL, or lack thereof, they'll probably double down and offer Adelaide a straight sets exit of Port from the finals as an olive branch.
They may not need to organise that one… may just need to wait and let natural events take their course….

Gill’s ‘apology’ sucked - he could barely say the words sorry. I guess you’ve gotta be a bit detached to be that high up the corporate chain

I don’t really understand how he/the AFL is “taking accountability” in this situation. They’re not doing anything to ameliorate the situation and only offered a half arsed apology.

I was pissed off when it happened, but they can't overturn the result so it's just hot air all this carrying on. If Keays' kick was the last kick of the night and the AFL wouldn't overturn the result, then we would have a case. Stephen Rowe has never been as entertaining as he has been for the last 48 hours but once Port are playing finals this will all be (hopefully) forgotten about. Nicks has been the only voice of reason by saying we lost it in the first half

That would be even funnier. Imagine if it was the last kick off the night and they still didn't review it.

Change the rule to the same as Rugby and Soccer - if it hits the post but still goes between the posts then its a goal (and same with behinds versus out of bounds).

That eliminates some (not all) contentious decisions involving the posts. The Tom Lynch one would still be an issue as it went over the posts.

Because that would be making sense and the AFL haven't arrived at that stage yet, still busy changing rules that don't need changing every year to sit down and say, this game is getting really hard to keep up with, what can we change that'll actually make it easier and fairer.

It shouldn't matter what it touches before it crosses any line fully, between the big sticks a goal, between the big and little stick a point, hits any post and comes back in to play, play on, hits the little post and goes out, throw in.

They're always trying to increase scoring yet leave stupid stipulations in that reduce scores like touches by player or post.

Gill’s ‘apology’ sucked - he could barely say the words sorry. I guess you’ve gotta be a bit detached to be that high up the corporate chain

I don’t really understand how he/the AFL is “taking accountability” in this situation. They’re not doing anything to ameliorate the situation and only offered a half arsed apology.
fonz.gif

Back