French Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2004
Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa ,Goldern State
Will the new Gold Coast side have many supporters ? The reason i ask is because a large majority of people have moved up there from interstate & would already have a team

Same would have been said about Port and Freo
Add to the fact that Gold coast is a more populated area than the two above, they will be fine
And if they aren't, the AFL will just buy them through

So's China.

But I do agree with your last point.

They will have a small supporter base initially.

I think attendence will be pretty good though for the ex-pat factor. There will be lots of neutrals at the games. I know I'll be attending a lot.

GCFC are a long term proposition though, so the neutrals will take their kids who will in turn support the Gold Coast and the core supporters will continue to grow.

Same would have been said about Port and FreoAdd to the fact that Gold coast is a more populated area than the two above, they will be fine
And if they aren't, the AFL will just buy them through

Crazy talk. Port was an existing club. Freo represented one of the most successful and well established footy regions there is.

I find it telling that one key proponent of expansion, a poster who lives in the GC and is always telling North types that we need to get over our emotional attachments and how footy is business, says that while he'll go to GC games and be a member, he'll remain Carlton first. LOL. Get over your emotional attachments.

I think the GC will be very much like the other two non footy state expansion clubs. There'll be some novelty interest. There'll be a small stuck on expat supporter base. But they'll only get big crowds/ratings when they are winning.

I also think that once the novelty value has gone, we'll see some desperately low crowds for them in Melbourne, especially against smaller clubs who might not be travelling so well.

A challenge for clubs like mine is to plan ahead now to try and find ways to counteract that.

No, i don't think the Gold Coast will have many supporters. The AFL isn't big in Queensland, they like Rugby, that's there main sprt so it will be hard for the Gold Coast to get people to jump on board.

It could only happen in Australia or America, start a team up with no supporters or history.

Can't wait for Geelong to go up there to play in front of 5,000 non interested supporters.

Brilliant.

karmichael hunt will get the supporters interested in it up there, they'll be fine. it will slowly rise, expect around 15,000 members for their first year.

Pop over to the GC board for a read when i'm bored and it's really growing in size lately. Is this a good sample of real life Gold Coast???

karmichael hunt will get the supporters interested in it up there, they'll be fine. it will slowly rise, expect around 15,000 members for their first year.
Well, they were aiming for 10,000 VFL members this year so you'd think they'd get more than 20,000, depending on how many 3 game kid members they sell

Well, they were aiming for 10,000 VFL members this year so you'd think they'd get more than 20,000, depending on how many 3 game kid members they sell
especially if the membership sales wont be so expensive the first couple years..

whats the crowd capaciy going to be at their home when its completed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could only happen in Australia or America, start a team up with no supporters or history.

Can't wait for Geelong to go up there to play in front of 5,000 non interested supporters.

Brilliant.

The ignorance of some people totally amazes me. Particularly those who aren't in a position to pass judgement on a particular subject.

ummmm its missing a grandstand lmao.
maybe they cant spend to much i dunno but when they get the money they should build at the goal end so it'll look like a real afl ground.

+they can get another 15,000 in the ground.
This stadium is part of Australia's world cup bid where it would get redeveloped to 45,000 and is also bidding for the 2018 commonwealth games (so far looking to be the ONLY bidder) so a major redevelopment in 10ish years seems likely. They still don't know themselves if a bigger stadium is necasary yet i s'pose...

They don't need a crazy number of supporters with the stadium they have going and living in a state that gives a s**t about their sporting clubs by providing facilities with low overheads.

I also think that once the novelty value has gone, we'll see some desperately low crowds for them in Melbourne, especially against smaller clubs who might not be travelling so well.

The same smaller clubs get poor crowds against any interstate team. The AFL's expansion will be the death of these legacy VFA/VFL clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back