Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The nerve on that guy to call me pessimistic. I created one of the most positive threads of all time. Of ALL TIME!

Thanks for that link - I wasn't aware of that site, which has some excellent stats.

Looking at the AFLCA votes by club:

ClubLadderWinsAvg Votes / Game1+ Votes4+ Votes10+ Votes10+ as % of Vote Winners
Sydney
1​
8​
22.8​
13​
10​
6​
46.15%​
Geelong
2​
7​
20​
16​
11​
7​
43.75%​
Essendon
3​
6.5​
18​
15​
10​
6​
40.00%​
Melbourne
4​
6​
18.6​
15​
11​
5​
33.33%​
GWS
5​
6​
17.4​
15​
14​
4​
26.67%​
Gold Coast
6​
6​
17.6​
11​
10​
8​
72.73%​
Port Adelaide
7​
6​
18.1​
17​
11​
6​
35.29%​
Carlton
8​
6​
17.3​
15​
9​
6​
40.00%​
Collingwood
9​
5.5​
14.7​
17​
10​
4​
23.53%​
Fremantle
10​
5​
20​
11​
11​
7​
63.64%​
Western Bulldogs
11​
4​
16.6​
15​
11​
5​
33.33%​
Adelaide
12​
3.5​
13​
13​
8​
4​
30.77%​
Brisbane
13​
3.5​
13.7​
13​
9​
5​
38.46%​
St Kilda
14​
3​
12​
13​
9​
5​
38.46%​
Hawthorn
15​
3​
11.3​
10​
8​
5​
50.00%​
West Coast
16​
2​
9.7​
10​
6​
3​
30.00%​
Richmond
17​
1​
6.6​
8​
6​
2​
25.00%​
Norf
18​
0​
2.8​
6​
4​
0​
0.00%​

Obviously there's a strong correlation between the total number of votes received, and the number of wins (and by extension, ladder position). There's also a correlation between the spread of contributions and the age/experience of the teams.

Adelaide have the 5th youngest & 4th least experienced list in the competiton, and the votes reflect this. The reality is that we have a lot of young & inexperienced players on our list, and most of them aren't contributing enough to earn AFLCA votes, resulting in a higher concentration of our votes.

At the other end of the spectrum, we have Geelong & Collingwood - the two oldest & most experienced lists. It should come as no surprise to anyone that they have the broadest spread of contributors (1+ votes).

Collingwood & GWS have particularly even teams, with only 4 of their vote winners polling 10+ votes, from 17 & 15 contributors who have polled at least once. GWS have more players in the 4-9 vote range than any other team, whereas Collingwood have the most in the 1-3 vote range.

Port Adelaide are an interesting case, with a wide spread of contributors (17x 1+ votes), despite being mid-table for both age & experience.

Fremantle & Gold Coast have 2-speed teams. Both have few contributors (1+ votes), but a very high percentage of those who have polled have received 10+ votes.

Looking at the AFLCA votes by club

Adelaide have the 5th youngest & 4th least experienced list in the competiton, and the votes reflect this. The reality is that we have a lot of young & inexperienced players on our list, and most of them aren't contributing enough to earn AFLCA votes, resulting in a higher concentration of our votes.
This is misleading

You can only get votes by playing

Saying we have the 5th and 4th is only for list management

Now do it with who actually played

Last edited:
Worrell looked anything but an AFL player from day 1: he got nearly zero disposals and was banished. After dealing with a few issues, he was good when he returned much later. You picked a poor analogy.

Curtin should go back and "work on a few things" in the SANFL. We are in the business of trying to win games now. Wherever he plays on the ground, he must be able to defend. The AFL is not the place to learn that. It's a hard life!

I was thinking of his return against Carlton - not his debut against Saints which was ordinary!

And that return happened the following season - so it does support my point. Big fella - in too early - goes away and develops and then looks the part

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is misleading

Here are the age/experience stats from the last round (courtesy of footywire.com.au):
ClubAgeExperience
Geelong27yr 6mth
136.8​
Essendon26yr 4mth
118.3​
Sydney26yr 4mth
117.5​
Collingwood27yr 3mth
116.7​
Brisbane25yr 10mth
112.6​
Melbourne25yr 7mth
110​
GWS25yr 8mth
108.3​
Western Bulldogs26yr 3mth
106.3​
Port Adelaide26yr
104.5​
St Kilda25yr 9mth
96.3​
West Coast25yr 2mth
92.2​
Carlton25yr 11mth
89.4​
Richmond25yr 9mth
88​
Adelaide25yr 1mth
86.5​
Fremantle24yr 10mth
86.1​
Hawthorn24yr 6mth
85.4​
North Melbourne24yr 3mth
78.2​
Gold Coast24yr
72.2​

Adelaide were the 5th youngest & 5th least experienced team for the round, which is entirely consistent with the state of our list.

Apologies to skam85 for incorrectly quoting his post above. I meant to quote the following post, from bonehilda:
This site shows all the coaches’ votes
Under the “Select statistical categories” tab select “Show all” and scroll across the stats a little to find every player’s total # of votes and # of matches they’ve received them in, you can filter by team too. Under the header “Match Stats” you can find the voting breakdown for every game as well
This is the site I hadn't seen before, which has an excellent collection of AFL statistics.

Obviously it's not just the average age & experience which matter - it's how that experience is distributed across the group.

Here are the experience figures, from the teams which played R9:
Club<5050-99100-149150-199200+100+150+
Geelong
3​
6​
5​
3​
6​
14​
9​
Essendon
4​
7​
6​
3​
3​
12​
6​
Sydney
2​
10​
3​
4​
4​
11​
8​
Collingwood
7​
6​
3​
2​
5​
10​
7​
Brisbane
8​
1​
6​
5​
3​
14​
8​
Melbourne
8​
4​
1​
6​
4​
11​
10​
GWS
7​
6​
3​
1​
6​
10​
7​
Western Bulldogs
8​
2​
6​
4​
3​
13​
7​
Port Adelaide
6​
7​
5​
2​
3​
10​
5​
St Kilda
7​
4​
6​
4​
2​
12​
6​
West Coast
9​
5​
4​
3​
2​
9​
5​
Carlton
7​
4​
8​
4​
0​
12​
4​
Richmond
12​
2​
4​
2​
3​
9​
5​
Adelaide
9​
7​
3​
1​
3​
7​
4​
Fremantle
8​
8​
3​
2​
2​
7​
4​
Hawthorn
9​
7​
1​
4​
2​
7​
6​
North Melbourne
11​
3​
7​
1​
1​
9​
2​
Gold Coast
10​
5​
5​
3​
0​
8​
3​

Things to note:
  • No team has fewer 100+ game players than Adelaide, and only Norf & Gold Coast had fewer 150+ game players.
  • Adelaide's experience is concentrated in a very small group - primarily Tex, Smith & Laird.
  • No team has fewer players in the 100-199 game bracket, and only GWS had as few (and they have 2x as many 200+ gamers).

Looking at our AFLCA vote winners...
PlayerVotesGames
Dawson
29​
118​
Soligo
22​
46​
Rankine
20​
77​
Laird
10​
255​
Walker
8​
268​
Crouch
8​
151​
Keane
6​
18​
Fogarty
4​
88​
O'Brien
3​
109​
Worrell
3​
26​
Keays
2​
122​
Hinge
1​
52​
Rachele
1​
43​

Adelaide's team list has only 9 players with 100+ games experience, and that includes Sloane, who has now retired without playing a game in 2024. Of the remaining 8 players, 6 have polled AFLCA votes. The exceptions are Smith & Murphy. 100+ game players occupy 4 of the top-6 positions on that list.

Of the other players, Rankine & Fogrty are in their "prime years" - when they should be expected to be performing at their best, and winning votes.

Soligo is the stand-out on the list. Given his lack of age & experience, his prominent position on the list is extremely encouraging. Keane & Worrell haven't accumulated as many votes as Soligo, but their appearance on the list is similarly encouraging.

The correlation between AFLCA votes & experience is clear. It's not the only factor, but it's definitely a significant one.

Last edited:
Our poor drafting in the 2016-2019 years is a factor here too

Our poor drafting goes back further than that.

There’s a lost decade in there, and even when we hit - say 2014 - we lost those players and wasted the draft capital

In fact our post Rendell drafting has been so poor, you have to wonder if it was the development rather than the picks

Obviously it's not just the average age & experience which matter - it's how that experience is distributed across the group.

Here are the experience figures, from the teams which played R9:
Club<5050-99100-149150-199200+100+150+
Geelong
3​
6​
5​
3​
6​
14​
9​
Essendon
4​
7​
6​
3​
3​
12​
6​
Sydney
2​
10​
3​
4​
4​
11​
8​
Collingwood
7​
6​
3​
2​
5​
10​
7​
Brisbane
8​
1​
6​
5​
3​
14​
8​
Melbourne
8​
4​
1​
6​
4​
11​
10​
GWS
7​
6​
3​
1​
6​
10​
7​
Western Bulldogs
8​
2​
6​
4​
3​
13​
7​
Port Adelaide
6​
7​
5​
2​
3​
10​
5​
St Kilda
7​
4​
6​
4​
2​
12​
6​
West Coast
9​
5​
4​
3​
2​
9​
5​
Carlton
7​
4​
8​
4​
0​
12​
4​
Richmond
12​
2​
4​
2​
3​
9​
5​
Adelaide
9​
7​
3​
1​
3​
7​
4​
Fremantle
8​
8​
3​
2​
2​
7​
4​
Hawthorn
9​
7​
1​
4​
2​
7​
6​
North Melbourne
11​
3​
7​
1​
1​
9​
2​
Gold Coast
10​
5​
5​
3​
0​
8​
3​

Things to note:
  • No team has fewer 100+ game players than Adelaide, and only Norf & Gold Coast had fewer 150+ game players.
  • Adelaide's experience is concentrated in a very small group - primarily Tex, Smith & Laird.
  • No team has fewer players in the 100-199 game bracket, and only GWS had as few (and they have 2x as many 200+ gamers).

Looking at our AFLCA vote winners...
PlayerVotesGames
Dawson
29​
118​
Soligo
22​
46​
Rankine
20​
77​
Laird
10​
255​
Walker
8​
268​
Crouch
8​
151​
Keane
6​
18​
Fogarty
4​
88​
O'Brien
3​
109​
Worrell
3​
26​
Keays
2​
122​
Hinge
1​
52​
Rachele
1​
43​

Adelaide's team list has only 9 players with 100+ games experience, and that includes Sloane, who has now retired without playing a game in 2024. Of the remaining 8 players, 6 have polled AFLCA votes. The exceptions are Smith & Murphy. 100+ game players occupy 4 of the top-6 positions on that list.

Of the other players, Rankine & Fogrty are in their "prime years" - when they should be expected to be performing at their best, and winning votes.

Soligo is the stand-out on the list. Given his lack of age & experience, his prominent position on the list is extremely encouraging. Keane & Worrell haven't accumulated as many votes as Soligo, but their appearance on the list is similarly encouraging.

The correlation between AFLCA votes & experience is clear. It's not the only factor, but it's definitely a significant one.

All that effort over how many long winded posts to say senior players are the better performers?

What next, a goal is worth 6 points and therefore more valuable than a behind?

This is misleading

If anything we play a little younger than that some weeks since we haven't used Sloane at all this year and leaving out your most experienced players drags the average down. Some weeks we've been as high as third youngest/third most inexperienced, but usually hovers around that 4th/5th mark.

Special mention to Mitch Hinge for grabbing this ball in the clear, waiting a second, then handballing 2m to Brodie Smith with 3 Brisbane players around him with 27 seconds to go

1715938397293.png

A real indictment on our player development, 5 years in and our best two players are recent trades into the club.

Imagine how (more) screwed we'd be without those two trades.
Development or trading.

Dawson came here as a HB, developed into a genuine mid.

Rankine traded here as a forward, never played midfield at GC.

Developed into a potential elite mid.

Our list issues are squarely Hamish's issues. He has done more damage to our club than anyone.

Yes more than Trigg, Burton, Chapman.

Because he is still there.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that effort over how many long winded posts to say senior players are the better performers?

What next, a goal is worth 6 points and therefore more valuable than a behind?

Another insightful post full of good information, adding to the conversation, rather than critiquing a poster!.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our poor drafting goes back further than that.

There’s a lost decade in there, and even when we hit - say 2014 - we lost those players and wasted the draft capital

In fact our post Rendell drafting has been so poor, you have to wonder if it was the development rather than the picks

I'm not sure our drafting was even that good during Rendell's time. Excluding Walker (who was signed by Fantasia), I'd say there were only four quality picks during Rendell's that we didn't end up losing: Sloane, Talia, Smith and Laird.

Meanwhile we lost Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston and B. Crouch and received back less than we paid each time. Other than Brad Crouch, each has gone on to play more games at their new clubs than they did at the Crows - and Brad may yet do so. Dangerfield and Gunston have played in premierships, Davis was a captain for eight seasons. All huge losses and other than Gunston, all cost us first-round picks.

Beyond that you're looking at the likes of Petrenko, Wright, Lyons, Jaensch, Henderson etc. Bit part players at best.

Is that a good record over five years? An average of one quality player who sticks arounds per draft? Admittedly I haven't looked at our trades over that period of time. Sam Jacobs was a good pickup. Tom Lynch, I guess?

I definitely agree that there should be a serious look at our development processes.

I'm not sure our drafting was even that good during Rendell's time. Excluding Walker (who was signed by Fantasia), I'd say there were only four quality picks during Rendell's that we didn't end up losing: Sloane, Talia, Smith and Laird.

Meanwhile we lost Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston and B. Crouch and received back less than we paid each time. Other than Brad Crouch, each has gone on to play more games and more success at their new clubs than they did at the Crows - and Brad may yet do so.

Beyond that you're looking at the likes of Petrenko, Wright, Lyons, Wright, Henderson etc.

Is that a good record over five years? An average of one quality player who sticks arounds per draft? Admittedly I haven't looked at our trades over that period of time. Sam Jacobs was a good pickup. Tom Lynch, I guess?

I definitely agree that there should be a serious look at our development processes.

Losing players isn’t a mark against the recruiter, blowing the picks in return is

Rendell’s record is excellent

Meanwhile we lost Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston and B. Crouch and received back less than we paid each time. Other than Brad Crouch, each has gone on to play more games at their new clubs than they did at the Crows - and Brad may yet do so. Dangerfield and Gunston have played in premierships, Davis was a captain for eight seasons. All huge losses and other than Gunston, all cost us first-round picks.

Beyond that you're looking at the likes of Petrenko, Wright, Lyons, Jaensch, Henderson etc. Bit part players at best.

They only have to pinpoint the player

It is the club that is at fault if they leave - or dollars

Special mention to Mitch Hinge for grabbing this ball in the clear, waiting a second, then handballing 2m to Brodie Smith with 3 Brisbane players around him with 27 seconds to go

View attachment 1991637
I think you're being incredibly harsh here. It looks like a weird handball but he had no options at all and was closed down really quickly, he basically grabs the ball and is immediately tackled by Daniher. It's actually a contested ball win for Hinge, 50m from the opposition goal with the scores level and 27 seconds left, and you just want to avoid a turnover here. If he coughs it up Brisbane win.

He handballs to Smith who is instantly tackled, resulting in a stoppage. That's a good result, particularly when the closest 5 players to him other than Smith are all Brisbane players. Butts is somewhere out of shot inside the 50 but that's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back