Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, Rachele is putting together a solid season so far. He seems to be playing more consistently than previous seasons where he would have some great games and then go missing for a few weeks (which is understandable being so young).

He may not be having as many highlights this season but he is still playing well and contributing each week.

I think some people are expecting too much from him as we have seen what he is capable of when he lights it up. And some seem to hold him to a higher standard as he is very confident and likes to celebrate his goals. He is only going to get better from here and I can see him being a very good player for us in the next few years.
I can't agree. He is a problem. He does a few good things, like underground handpasses and good soccer skills in the square, but some of his bad things are shocking. The problem is that they are regular and indicative of fundamental problems. He lacks courage and is contact-averse. He is slow and lacks awareness in many situations. In particular, what most frustrates me is his behaviour with ball in hand, where he slows down and considers what to do, then gets caught HTB.

He really needs to get his game in order (and get rid of the shocking haircut).

It took Toby Greene at least 4-5 years before he actually became consistent and elite.

Feel Rachele is on that similar trajectory.
Rachele has X-factor, something special, for sure
eg TWICE in 2 games he's handballed to advantage between an opponent's legs with phenomenal skill.
One resulted in a Rankine goal after Rachele fetched his own handball and dished off.
The other on Thursday night dribbled about 15m to a teammate, I'm pretty sure also resulting in a goal.

Yes, he's brash-if-not-arrogant on occasion, but he loves to play footy and only 21.
Rachele will mellow.
In 2-4 years, watch out! He could be anything.
Best of all, he's a Crow!!

Bad

Rory lairds decision making..

Here’s one of the many examples of this..

Laird takes a mark just outside the 50 from a rushed port kick out of defense…
Has 4 crows players in a perfect little pocket inside the 50 that he could easily jab kick the ball into..

View attachment 1978521

Instead.. he goes the long, slow, predictable loopy kick to Tex.. who, by the time the ball gets there, ends up in a 3 on 1..

View attachment 1978522

Turnover.

Garbage footballer.
My bigger frustration with Laird is that I think he must always call for the ball regardless of whether giving it to him is the right option.

There was one moment on the wing when our boys were under pressure during a series of handballs. Someone handballs to sholl who has a split second of space and time to make a decision but he immediately just flicks a hand pass to laird beside him who gets tackled out of bounds.

Sholl actually had a millisecond where he could have taken a step forward and found a free crows team mate by foot 20-30m upfield by foot. But I guarantee laird was yelling for the ball next to him despite being under immediate pressure.

I think laird must have a habit where he just always calls for the ball rather than judging when and when not to call for,it.

That was probably THE play of McHenry's career...
The level of football IQ he displayed exceeded my wildest expectations.
After Tex potted that goal on the run, I thought: "McHenry's goal".
Surprised the helloutta me too.
I dare say it could be a very long time (if at all) we see Ned do something as productive as that.

:$
Who knows?
It showed anticipation and awareness I didn't think he had, either :oops: :hearteyes:.

He also got on his bike and skitched forward to be on the end of the kickout-Himmelberg-Rankine chain. Before I knew it was him running down there, I thought it was Keays.

Maybe he's turned a corner and that was a break-out game for him. Hope so!

I can't agree. He is a problem. He does a few good things, like underground handpasses and good soccer skills in the square, but some of his bad things are shocking. The problem is that they are regular and indicative of fundamental problems. He lacks courage and is contact-averse. He is slow and lacks awareness in many situations. In particular, what most frustrates me is his behaviour with ball in hand, where he slows down and considers what to do, then gets caught HTB.

I think you are letting your dislike of his confidence and flair get in the way of judging him fairly for his age and experience. Because he is a bit cocky and has a bit of a 'look at me' attitude, people seem to get overly critical of him and hold him to a much higher standard of some others in the side.

I personally like it when players show some personality and are confident enough to put themselves out there rather than just being a robot and not being themselves.

Your last comment about his hair cut confirms the above. Who cares what sort of hair cut he has. Just let him be himself.

I think you are letting your dislike of his confidence and flair get in the way of judging him fairly for his age and experience. Because he is a bit cocky and has a bit of a 'look at me' attitude, people seem to get overly critical of him and hold him to a much higher standard of some others in the side.

I personally like it when players show some personality and are confident enough to put themselves out there rather than just being a robot and not being themselves.

Your last comment about his hair cut confirms the above. Who cares what sort of hair cut he has. Just let him be himself.
Rubbish. Forget the throwawy haircut line and address my substantive comments.
In fact, I don't believe that he plays with confidence on the field. He is oftentimes slow in decision making and unsure of himself. I would like to see him play with more speed and confidence.

I've certainly questioned the early rave reviews of Rachele, and the wrong comparisons to Toby Greene ......however, I don't subscribe to the lack of courage dialogue .....nor do I think he's slow

His biggest issue, and the main differential from Greene is ....Rachele doesn't have the same 360 degree awareness that Greene has
It's probably a soccer trait where you're playing the game in front of you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time to extend Worrell before Vic clubs get a sniff.

Also the locking away of Butts means that if Murray comes good and Keane keeps developing we can keep Borlase as the stop gap who is cheap and a desperate Vic side would pay a fair bit in draft collateral to get Butts that we can use to further build the list.

Our season is done?

They pay holding the ball against Draper, and we're outside the 8 on percentage.

We've come off a really tough schedule of games and we're facing some winnable ones.

I know it doesn't jive with those who were running with a "the lowest point in our history" narrative a couple of weeks ago, but things aren't disastrous.

Play Brisbane (H), Collingwood (A), West Coast (H), Hawthorn (A), Richmond (H) and Sydney (H) before the bye.

If we go 4-2, which is what we should aim for we would be 7-7 at the bye. Our remaining home games after the bye are GWS, St Kilda, Hawks, Western Bulldogs and Port.

That’s getting into dangerous territory, how do they know it’s a bad call?

They know. Just like AFL umpires know. There is replay and the officials talk to each other. US sports there are a lot more stoppages in play.

Its still an "unwritten / not-talked about" standard, well it was until a ref got caught on a hot mic saying how he wished he gave a "F'n penalty' to a team earlier in the game. This ref had officiated 1300+ games and 90 playoff games and ended up getting canned.

They call it game management and I am here for it. I think that all players really want is consistency within a game - not even within the overall rules. If you have an official who is going to call every minor break of the rules, players dont mind - as long as they do it consistently.

Play Brisbane (H), Collingwood (A), West Coast (H), Hawthorn (A), Richmond (H) and Sydney (H) before the bye.

If we go 4-2, which is what we should aim for we would be 7-7 at the bye. Our remaining home games after the bye are GWS, St Kilda, Hawks, Western Bulldogs and Port.

But what if we go 6-0. Lets book those end of September flights!

Kind of beautiful whats going on at Alberton at the moment, they are sparing no one, even Carr is in the firing line.

View attachment 1978085
Hang on.
They're 5-3 with 113% and screaming for Coaches' sackings?

If I could keep our side and the rest of our draw, I'd take 5-3 even with a loss to Port
in a heartbeat.

It's probably a soccer trait where you're playing the game in front of you
Good point :thumbsupv1: .
It means he hasn't developed that 360-degree-awareness knack, but that should come with time and games.

It reminds me of Jenkins who had a basketball background.
Josh was often criticised (justifiably) for his lack of tackling.
Instead of rushing the ball-carrier he would often take up that static defensive basketball stance --- feet wide, knees bent, arms outstretched and waving.
I think he forgot that he could rush and tackle the ball-holder and reverted to the instincts of his background.
It was funny, but totally ineffective on an AFL ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back