Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

McHenry did well in the 1st half. 2nd half made some bad decisions and exposed his decision making.

I wouldn't say he was good, but was far from shite. The problem with being a whipping boy, is you are looking for when they stuff up but miss the contribution.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was bad. Unsure, jittery and ineffectual

Our season is done?

They pay holding the ball against Draper, and we're outside the 8 on percentage.

We've come off a really tough schedule of games and we're facing some winnable ones.

I know it doesn't jive with those who were running with a "the lowest point in our history" narrative a couple of weeks ago, but things aren't disastrous.

Of course our season is done, if you want to sit there thinking everything is going swimmingly and we're in the hunt to make the 8 then knock yourself out.

Have a look at the sides eight and tell me what team we're better than?

I'd say that you can almost lock in 7 of those sides to make the 8 at the end of the season with Brisbane most probably being the only team outside the 8 talent wise (if they hit some form) to displace a side like Essendon potentially.

I'm a realist and if we were going to be around the mark with the 8 we wouldn't have be completely outplayed by Essendon. They aren't a great side and even West Coast actually looked better against them than we did, if we were a real chance of making the 8 we would have beaten them at home by 3-4 goals.

My prediction is we'll be winning about 8-9 games and be part of the Bulldogs, St Kilda, Freo and GC group and finish somewhere between 11th to 14th.

Last edited:
Of course our season is done, if you want to sit there thinking everything is going swimmingly and we're in the hunt to make the 8 then knock yourself out.

I'd say that you can almost lock in 7 of those sides to make the 8 at the end of the season with Brisbane most probably being the only team outside the 8 talent wise (if they hit some form) to displace a side like Essendon potentially.

I'm a realist and if we were going to be around the mark with the 8 we wouldn't have be completely outplayed by Essendon. They aren't a great side and even West Coast actually looked better against them than we did, if we were a real chance of making the 8 we would have beaten them at home by 3-4 goals.

My prediction is we'll be winning about 8-9 games and be part of the Bulldogs, St Kilda, Freo and GC group and finish somewhere between 11th to 14th.
Essendon are a side who play insanely well against us, same as how we play insanely well against Port.

Perhaps we go on a Port Adelaide style 13 game winning streak then go out in straight sets? :D

Agreed we very likely aren't making the 8, but if we were to beat Brisbane next weekend I think the team has to take the possibility of making the 8 seriously, given the form line and a few winnable games heading into the bye. Fairly tough draw though so I find it hard to see us getting above 11 or so wins.

Same bullshit story Kenny wheeled out.

It was only once the fatigue set in. Yeah sure.
But but but best after match presser ever I tells ya. So honest, so brave I tells ya. Nicks would never admit...yadda yadda yadda yadda

Admitting to how ******* dumbarsed stupid you are does not and never will equate to being a great press conference.

No, you're completely wrong .....as all are for the angst at subbing Curtin

Obviously Smith was selected Sub for a reason ......any player debuting in a high pressure game, is going to be losing his legs in the last qtr ....that last qtr was going to be frenetic, having a fresh HBF able to come into the game was perfect

Sorry if that messes with everyone's fairytale of Curtin being on the ground at the end .......I'm assuming you're happy with the win.....it's hard to tell sometimes on this board

Enjoy the win !
Many supporters on this board are playing the long game, ie just as invested in the development of the squad and certain players that have the potential to take us to the next flag as they are with gaining 4 points. I really don’t think you can see that.

He was brought on to lock the game down. 7 Defensive pressure acts in 17% game time is huge. He wasn't brought on for his run and carry when we're trying to protect a lead.

Boggles the mind that some people don't understand this stuff.

Where did you get 17% from? And you really reckon Brodie Smith was inserted into the game to perform pressure acts? What it tells people who do understand is that Brodie was trailing his opponent at all contests and couldn't win the ball.

Many supporters on this board are playing the long game, ie just as invested in the development of the squad and certain players that have the potential to take us to the next flag as they are with gaining 4 points. I really don’t think you can see that.
What I see is, at some point, the long game becomes the short game ......each year we will draft a potential good player, it's how the Draft works .....you can't use the long game premise every year & then moan we're not contending

Good players will always force their way into good teams ......history clearly demonstrates that

Resting a debut player in the 4th qtr of a showdown, does not in any way indicate a reluctance to develop players .....ii's good player management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I see is, at some point, the long game becomes the short game ......each year we will draft a potential good player, it's how the Draft works .....you can't use the long game premise every year & then moan we're not contending

Good players will always force their way into good teams ......history clearly demonstrates that

Resting a debut player in the 4th qtr of a showdown, does not in any way indicate a reluctance to develop players .....ii's good player management
Can’t agree. Smith did not need to come on for Curtin. In fact, Smith is done. With Nicks, it’s not a matter of picking the best players it’s about who fits into his structure. If this were false Murphy and Ned would never play. From the outer it looks like the senior players call the shots.

Sholl stuck it up those of us (myself included) who said he wouldn't back up his game last week. That left foot snap was class, and he gave off a cheapie to Rachele as well.

He is still too soft for my liking, but he can find it on the outside and used it well.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has the skills, needs to add some serious upper body strength.

Can’t agree. Smith did not need to come on for Curtin. In fact, Smith is done. With Nicks, it’s not a matter of picking the best players it’s about who fits into his structure. If this were false Murphy and Ned would never play. From the outer it looks like the senior players call the shots.
Disagree .....Smith can put out a good qtr, a good half .....one out of two games

Old players are renowned for being very inconsistent .....same as kids

Our DEF profile is both young and inexperienced .....it was smart to have a wise head in a frenetic last qtr ....I don't care if it was Smith, even Dawson last week was thrown back to offer that stability

No, you're completely wrong .....as all are for the angst at subbing Curtin

Obviously Smith was selected Sub for a reason ......any player debuting in a high pressure game, is going to be losing his legs in the last qtr ....that last qtr was going to be frenetic, having a fresh HBF able to come into the game was perfect

Sorry if that messes with everyone's fairytale of Curtin being on the ground at the end .......I'm assuming you're happy with the win.....it's hard to tell sometimes on this board

Enjoy the win !
It could have been the reasoning behind it but it was unnecessary as Curtin was fine there were other positions Smith could have filled as sub at the time

But but but best after match presser ever I tells ya. So honest, so brave I tells ya. Nicks would never admit...yadda yadda yadda yadda

Admitting to how ******* dumbarsed stupid you are does not and never will equate to being a great press conference.
Who said it was the best presser ever and it was great?

All that was said he admitted to ******* up which Nicks doesn’t do, instead he blames the players.

Sorry if that upset your Port sensitivities

Who said it was the best presser ever and it was great?

All that was said he admitted to ******* up which Nicks doesn’t do, instead he blames the players.

Sorry if that upset your Port sensitivities
Actually gave Hinkley credit for admitting it he knew in saying it people where going to hang him

It could have been the reasoning behind it but it was unnecessary as Curtin was fine there were other positions Smith could have filled as sub at the time
Depends on whether you'd like Curtin to have a run of games .....of course playing him 4 qtrs excites supporters .....but also being managed after this game would have annoyed

If you study rookies this year, many clubs are subbing their rookies off .....to prolong the inevitable tiredness that sets in after a PS and the jump from U18 to AFL

Sholl stuck it up those of us (myself included) who said he wouldn't back up his game last week. That left foot snap was class, and he gave off a cheapie to Rachele as well.

He is still too soft for my liking, but he can find it on the outside and used it well.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ideal trade bait.

Depends on whether you'd like Curtin to have a run of games .....of course playing him 4 qtrs excites supporters .....but also being managed after this game would have annoyed

If you study rookies this year, many clubs are subbing their rookies off .....to prolong the inevitable tiredness that sets in after a PS and the jump from U18 to AFL
We are 8 weeks into a season not round one,

It’s a 10 day break to our next game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back