Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

By that metric regarding the Carlton win, Collingwood sure 'fluked' a lot of wins in 2023... A win is a win, nobody (including the ladder) gives a * if you didn't play your best in the history books, just like nobody cares if you were the better team and couldn't kick straight etc.

Nobody awarded us the 2017 flag because we were in better form than our opponent but had an off day; nobody can take the Bulldogs flag away just because they had a bit of luck in 2016. Carlton were 4-7 last year and playing some awful footy, but went within an inch of a GF.

There are a lot of key stats with our ball movement (scoring from turnover, transition from D50 etc) that are top 4/6 in the league after the Freo game, that's a team in decent form. I have no idea whether we make finals from here, but if our form over the last 5 weeks continues, then we are a far better chance than what I thought after the Freo game.

Actually our transition from D50 is now ranked second in the AFL. One of the key reasons we are starting to score easier.

We have the forwards (see 2023), we just have to give them the opportunities.

Ken protecting Rozee (selfish decision to put his hand up to play) and the Doctors (their doctors have had more than enough scrutiny over the last 12 months)

Only choice he had - because in reality he was the last person to blame out of those above

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bottom line is instead of resting a hamstring injury for a week, Rozee played under duress & now likely to be out for at least 2 weeks.

This is really endemic of what's going on this board......glass half empty mentality.
When the Crows were 0-4, my glass was totally empty but smeared/coated with the dried-up hopes for 2024. The way we were playing, I was thinking 2-8 after 10 rounds. Finals out of the question.

It's a 'fluid' situation, no pun intended. A roller-coaster.
3-1 after the last 4 weeks, now we're 3-5 which is better of course and the win over PA cheered me up a lot. My glass is now 3/8ths full.
Finals? We'll need to win 9 out of 15 remaining games + a good %age.

None of us know what's going to happen.
How many teams make Finals after 3-8? How many go top? With his attachment to senior players and try-hard scrappers, his weird selection policies and defensive mindset, will Nicks take us to a Flag?
I can't see it.
I hope I'm wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately the first three weeks still happened and definitely taint things. Given how our opposition Have played since we should have won at least one of those.
FTFY

Gold Coast are trash and they beat us by a goal with 20 shots v 14

Cats - The Tom Stewart game - nuff said (26 to 22 )

Dockers we go defensive against a team that traditionally scores under 70 - and we scored 34 - 24 shots to 14

I reckon all 3 games are winnable with smarter coaching

We said before the Geelong game not to invite Tom Stewart to the buffet and both GC and Freo we decided kicking goals was a naff idea and to defend to the end until we didnt and nearly snatched it

And people wonder why we are negative and frustrated

But rah rah the sun is shining

Noooobody expects The Spanish Inquisition in BF ... :whistle:

We made one of Port's cross beams go owt askew on treadle.

My concern is our history of dealing with the favoritism we'll have this week, where we might use the dish rack and then gasp the comfy chair. Then the soft cushions, even with all the stuffing up one end, and we could find ourselves back in the dungeon.

Its unconventional thats for sure.

With 99% of coaches in world sport - the time to celebrate the win is around 24 hours (at most) and then its all about the next week.
Neil Craig used to say that

(when most games still played Friday to Sunday)

' We will enjoy the win for the weekend then on Monday we get back to work with the review'

We made one of Port's cross beams go owt askew on treadle.

My concern is our history of dealing with the favoritism we'll have this week, where we might use the dish rack and then gasp the comfy chair. Then the soft cushions, even with all the stuffing up one end, and we could find ourselves back in the dungeon.
Yeah - Ive tipped us as we should have everything go our way.

Like the Showdown our opponent has to make some changes that may weaken them. We are at home and whatever I think of them reliving the win on the big screen the energy on Sunday will be wild

That should be enough

Ken knew everyone had him cold over his stuff up, so fessing up was the least painful thing for him to do. "So brave"

He was just taking the hit to get the doctor off the hook consideing his Shonky history . The doctor would have been the main player in this decision with consultation with the physio and high performance team. As if the head coach
would solely make that call. Ken just trying to be the hero within the club!

When the Crows were 0-4, my glass was totally empty but smeared/coated with the dried-up hopes for 2024. The way we were playing, I was thinking 2-8 after 10 rounds. Finals out of the question.

It's a 'fluid' situation, no pun intended. A roller-coaster.
3-1 after the last 4 weeks, now we're 3-5 which is better of course and the win over PA cheered me up a lot. My glass is now 3/8ths full.
Finals? We'll need to win 9 out of 15 remaining games + a good %age.

None of us know what's going to happen.
How many teams make Finals after 3-8? How many go top? With his attachment to senior players and try-hard scrappers, his weird selection policies and defensive mindset, will Nicks take us to a Flag?
I can't see it.
I hope I'm wrong.

As at Round 13 2023 -

13. Sydney 5-7 (the following week they were 5-8)
14. GWS 5-8
15. Carlton 4-8-1

All made finals and both GWS and Carlton made Preliminary Finals and GWS were a kick away from making a GF.

You get on a roll, anything can happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back