Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

That's nothing compared to the Clam posts where he says players should be shot and stuff. Just calling Keays a prick is fairly civil.

Bad re Laird is not only harsh it's wrong. He may not have been brilliant but bad he most certainly was not.

31 Disposals, 17 kicks 14 handballs, game high 13 contested @ 80.6 DE%, game high 10 clearances (game high 6 Centre clearances), game high 8 i50's, 8 score involvements, 484 metres gained, 4 tackles, 70% T.O.G.
Yeah he was obviously prolific, but the eye test suggested to me he wasn’t all that impactful? Like a lot of rushed disposals and nothing handballs (unlike Crouch) still. I dunno, each to their own

Good:
- Murphy’s courage, pound for pound he’s got to be one of the bravest blokes out there. Played a fairly good game too.

- Nankervis; that Chase on Ryan, composure and then smother was elite defending; really liked his marking too. Has to be a regular from now on.

- Cook did some good things, looking more and more comfortable. This kid has the talent, just needs to keep playing at AFL.

- Fog; love the contested work. Noticed he played more of a link role from midfield to forward, something like Lynch in the past. Dropped some marks but the impact on the game was strong tonight.

- Dawson; awesome marking! Back to his form from 2023. Has been playing consistent in the last few weeks. Kicking is back to his best too!

Bad: some of the umpiring decisions had me cussing loud. Thankfully the umpiring had zero impact on the game.

Rachele getting caught holding the ball a minimum of 3 times in situations where high quality players should not be getting caught holding the ball.
This.
I thought the same when the htb's happened. I reckon he needs to pay more attention/look around where he is relative to traffic close by before he takes possession.
Luckily, he's young enough to fix it.
Plus dropping uncontested chest marks.
Twice! Inexplicable.

Good: We won. Dawson was on fire. Fogarty's work around the ground was quality. Nankervis impressed again. We made smarter decisions (than usual) with ball in hand. Butts was solid (another one who contributed well outside of his usual area).

Bad: Laird had way too much midfield time, and wasn't much good anyway. Cook had a great first half, but was painfully anonymous in the second half. O'Brien kicking a goal has likely given him another year of immunity at the selection table. Rachele was pretty poor this week, and really didn't capitalise on the additional midfield time.

You think subbing Soligo was pre-planned? Based on what? It's completely different from every other sub decision we've made this year. We've not subbed out an inside mid at any point unless injured, let alone at half time.
They said it themselves. It was a Tactical / Load Management substitution. You don't suddenly pull load management out of your pocket unless you had plans to do it. Whether it be at H/T or the end of the 3rd or whenever. Game was iced by HT, so Soligo is off.

Sholl 34 disp, 9 marks and a goal. I didn't see the game and he didn't seem to get mentioned in the game day thread. Surely a good performance from him?

Sholl previous best goal return in a season is 4 - and has now hit the scoreboard 5 weeks in a row. He is slowly progressing to being a decent player. Was excellent tonight - but the opposition was poor. Maybe they had their eye on the MSD

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
- Murphy’s courage, pound for pound he’s got to be one of the bravest blokes out there. Played a fairly good game too.

- Nankervis; that Chase on Ryan, composure and then smother was elite defending; really liked his marking too. Has to be a regular from now on.

- Cook did some good things, looking more and more comfortable. This kid has the talent, just needs to keep playing at AFL.

- Fog; love the contested work. Noticed he played more of a link role from midfield to forward, something like Lynch in the past. Dropped some marks but the impact on the game was strong tonight.

- Dawson; awesome marking! Back to his form from 2023. Has been playing consistent in the last few weeks. Kicking is back to his best too!

Bad: some of the umpiring decisions had me cussing loud. Thankfully the umpiring had zero impact on the game.
Cook ran to good spots, had a few times where if they went for him he could have had a goal fairly close to goal, they just didn't send it his way.

Id like to see if he’s got any trade value whilst he’s on an upswing in form as I don’t reckon he’s not a keeper.
Good call

He's having his best season but at the back of my mind I wonder if he'd be able to produce in the heat of a final

Sydney game in a few weeks will be interesting to watch.

“Did what they had to do” is more like winning by 30-40 points.
When you win by 100, it’s a good win.
Shame we didn't then.
You can dismiss it as “opposition was piss weak”, but could it be they were shit tonight cos we played really well? And dare I say it, coaching tactics worked well tonight?
No. West Coast were diabolical - the worst they've played this season, and nothing like last week. They're still quite early in their rebuild, so these sorts of games will crop up for them on occasion. Nothing they really need to worry about, but also nothing you can learn from it long term for us.

Why ? ....and how do you know they were toying with the idea of resting Tex ? .....where's the evidence, or just madeup ****
What's got into you, WW? I musta missed something but your reply to a.c. seemed unnecessarily angry.
He said "Maybe", which is totally fair/harmless:
Maybe they were toying with the idea but in the end they didn't.
As for the "Should have rested Tex", well, that seems like a reasonable opinion too.
I disagree (unless he needed resting) but meh.

Nicks’ pre-match address…
1716718503970.gif

Also,

Ugly:

May be harsh here but the sight of Burgess and Borlase both out on an AFL field today annoyed me immensely, look I get you need ‘depth’ role players but I seriously can’t believe these 2 are the best Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvy and the myriad of country wide scouts could find around the entire country (actually I can), these two are nothing more than classic SANFL level ‘tweener-talls’, so many of their like have been spat out the other side and are just football ‘journeymen’ that you see in country footy getting under the table payments but the Adelaide Football club have these like playing AFL matches.

I mean it’s not even the odd 1 or 2 games they’ve now played blocks of multiple games through the year, just really shows the pitiful tall depth the club has. I know they aren’t alone in the AFL sphere with this being an issue at most clubs as you can see them all clambering to select these supposed ‘talented’ state league talls in the mid-season draft. List managers league wide not just Reid make some weird assessments on key position player depth, they say there’s little around yet strangely there’s always some around come the mid-season draft.

If anyone starts a post with "I know we weren't up against much but", stop there. Take nothing from that game. Got the win, that's all.
They beat Melbourne last week. Had a dozen premiership players in their side.

It was a good win. Don't go over the top, but also don't go ridiculous in the other direction either.

Cmon mate, we blew them off the park early and never let them back in, it was a good win against a team that’s been largely competitive all year. We made them look bad and they then got shell shocked and couldn’t recover.

I can go back to the gameday thread and bump plenty of posts from people that thought we might actually lose, or others who called this a danger game all week.
I don't understand the people who can only manage to post negative things in the game thread for a game like that.

They would have been annoyed if we lost. They were annoyed when we won by 99.

Why bother even watching? Do something better with your Sunday afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back