Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Dawson, especially that ballistic 1st quarter. Getting close to being a top 10 player in the game if he’s not there already.

Being able to relax 3 minutes in and enjoy the game without white knuckling for 2 hours.

The indigenous jumpers, fantastic design.

Bad: Not really knowing how good this was. Our issue has been disposal and composure under pressure. There was no pressure out there today.

Ugly: West Coast. Pathetic. North would’ve beaten them by 10 goals today.

Was there no pressure in the Showdown? Because he had a great game then too and was one of our highest pressure act players on the night. Hitting the scoreboard very frequently now too.

Why do some people on here find it so damn hard to just provide credit to a player in good form, instead of going the negative angle after 99 point win?
You've been on bigfooty for 15 years and you're only noticing this now?

Good

Only saw/heard bits and pieces of the game.

Saw Fogs goal, it was nice.

Not subbing Sholl off.

Bad

Certain posters trying to convince you this game means something, and we should be happy beating a bottom 2 side.

It is a classic downhill skiing Nicks performance. Once the heat gets turned up we will fold as we have done throughout his reign.

Onto next week, no highlights at training please.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can’t believe we won by 99 points and you still find a way to take a knock at Nicks. I’ve seen this on the sack Hinkley threads, but I’m now realising that it’s a cultural thing across footy.

I can’t believe we won by 99 points and you still find a way to take a knock at Nicks. I’ve seen this on the sack Hinkley threads, but I’m now realising that it’s a cultural thing across footy.
Ok I’ve got a few questions for you, right from the beginning our plan was to move the ball, to switch it so we made it harder for the intercepting defenders. It worked.

Why has it taken 11 games? Why didn’t we do this against Brisbane? Do you think we would have won instead of drawing?

And finally would you a Big Footy poster instigated it earlier than round 11?

This is a major frustration with Nicks, he’s so bloody slow in identifying and implementing a decent plan. 4 games to correct a shit game plan and midfield set up costing us finals, 11 games to learn about switching.

Thats why he deserves a comment in a 99 point win.

He had a brilliant pickup, dodge, and pass inside 50 to... Tex, I think it was, endish of Q1.
He did. But watch the whole play. Waterman went on a huge lead and had a good 10-15 m on him. Sholl backed back with courage and created the spoil, it bounced out to Butts who arrived late.
If not for Sholl, Waterman marks on his chest and they were out

Good: Having a nice, stress free Sunday arvo. The crowd was pretty dead, but nearly 41k turning up is a pretty good result.

Bad: West Coast away from home

Ugly: ROB's goal kicking routine. It worked, but goodness me it is so uncoordinated. Also Crazy Frog being Murphy's song, although that did get a good laugh out of me.

I felt so bad for Cook. In the last quarter, he put in 3 gut busting runs to the goal square. He was ignored the first 2 times, and the 3rd, the siren went just before it got to him. Poor bastard looked shattered.

Cmon mate, we blew them off the park early and never let them back in, it was a good win against a team that’s been largely competitive all year. We made them look bad and they then got shell shocked and couldn’t recover.

I can go back to the gameday thread and bump plenty of posts from people that thought we might actually lose, or others who called this a danger game all week.

They haven't once been competitive away from home.

Ok I’ve got a few questions for you, right from the beginning our plan was to move the ball, to switch it so we made it harder for the intercepting defenders. It worked.

Why has it taken 11 games? Why didn’t we do this against Brisbane? Do you think we would have won instead of drawing?

And finally would you a Big Footy poster instigated it earlier than round 11?

This is a major frustration with Nicks, he’s so bloody slow in identifying and implementing a decent plan. 4 games to correct a shit game plan and midfield set up costing us finals, 11 games to learn about switching.

Thats why he deserves a comment in a 99 point win.
Nothing needed to be said at all about his coaching. You don’t need to forget or hide past decisions because of a 99 point thumping, but can’t we just enjoy a massive win and leave both coach and player bashing for actually when they deserve it? And I will add that even against bottom side teams, it’s bloody difficult to win by over 90 points.

They beat Melbourne last week. Had a dozen premiership players in their side.

It was a good win. Don't go over the top, but also don't go ridiculous in the other direction either.

And Pies beat them by 11 goals the week before. This is a side that fails at travelling and is still very capable of playing state league level footy. We learn nothing when an uncompetitive group turn up. Although, there's no negatives, had we ground out a close win, against their otherwise abysmal away record, it would have been a warning sign. But we're still a side that should be playing finals but bitched our start. And we're very consistent in application, so the Roos/Eagles types just aren't going to have one of their days.

Last edited:
He did. But watch the whole play. Waterman went on a huge lead and had a good 10-15 m on him. Sholl backed back with courage and created the spoil, it bounced out to Butts who arrived late.
If not for Sholl, Waterman marks on his chest and they were out
Butts had a good game, very good, no player ever has a "perfect" game.

One game doesn't erase 4 and a half years of history. The coach he was prior to the opening bounce is the coach he is after the 99 point win against a travelling Eagles. More than humiliating those guys will be required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flu season has arrived. WC beat the Demons in a canter. Do we vax? I guess we'll find out next week.
Suns had it this week too.

Laird had some zip again, maybe he was crook last week.
Fog finding the ball in the air again, you love to see it.:)
One game closer to Nick Murray returning.:cool:

During the call Roo said the Crows had 7 or 8 of their best out?
Murray, Worrell, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Milera... not sure who else he is referring to?

Yes - great to get a win against West coast witches hats who seem to get allergic to football when they get on a plane, but I want to see us now back up and beat Hawks away next week.

This is all too familiar for us Crows fans, get a soft win like that to wall paper over cracks and lots of back patting.

All too often when the heats been on in big pressure games we have caved in.

I want to be positive but Crows always let us down.

Flu season has arrived. WC beat the Demons in a canter. Do we vax? I guess we'll find out next week.
Suns had it this week too.

Laird had some zip again, maybe he was crook last week.
Fog finding the ball in the air again, you love to see it.:)
One game closer to Nick Murray returning.:cool:

Murray, Worrell, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Milera... not sure who else he is referring to?
Ned McFurious

I'll see myself out.

Our last 7 weeks have been far, far better and more indicative of where we truly sit. (Won by 2, lost by 3, won by 57, won by 30, drew, lost by 4 and won by 99) But for the inexplicable first four rounds of dire, defensive bullshit, we would very likely be in the 8.

Can’t take anything out of that game? I say you can. Could have ground out a solid six goal win… but chose to hammer home the advantage this week. Improved our % by 10! Fog gaining in confidence every week. Schoenberg looks to have gained composure. Nankervis should never be dropped again. Dawson is a very, very good player and a deserving captain. Even liked Murphs game. Bloody courageous player. Cook is now being played in the correct position and is consistently providing options. Berry had a cracker half. Would have liked them to give Curtin a game.

Sweet, who tells the AFL that the first month didn't count because we declared 'starting now'?

One game doesn't erase 4 and a half years of history. The coach he was prior to the opening bounce is the coach he is after the 99 point win against a travelling Eagles. More than humiliating those guys will be required.
I just felt wow, really? I never suggested that his previous decisions should be pardoned, but honestly we smashed them, what else was he meant to do?

I'm even more pissed off with Nicks after the result

The perfect game to get more exposure for Curtin, and give a debut to another of our first round picks languishing in the glorified amateur comp. Wasted opportunity, and to rub salt in the wound, takes off Soligo for a tactical sub at half time when we should be getting him running more through the midfield and getting exposure away from the likes of Laird and Keays.

We need a gif of Nankervis getting around three WCE players and then hitting a target on his left. That was mint.

Hard to know what to think of this one, but all you can do is beat what's in front of you, and beat them we did.

I liked the shorter kicking game we adopted, picking off shorter kicks through the middle of the ground rather than the long, boring, pointless hacks along the boundary that we produce when at our worst. Not sure if this would have worked against good opposition, but the West Coast players looked and played like they didn't really want to be there, so it worked pretty well without much pressure to make it difficult.

Hard to think of anybody who had a bad game. Even Smith was looking good... perhaps that shorter kicking game style made it easier for him to hit his targets now that the accuracy of his long kicks seems to have deserted him.

Also no injuries. I guess the plus side of a big win like that with no injuries is that we'll probably go unchanged this week, which probably keeps Ned out again.

Good:
Fogarty getting 20 touches, bit more of 2015 onward Tom Lynch (the ex North Melbourne player) about his game this week.
Harley Reid is wonderful, genuinely so, North Melbourne were completely insane winning that game against Gold Coast last year. We were like a pack of Hyenas attacking a lion.

Berry has a strong body and should not be a sub this week.
Subbing off Soligo with a couple of short breaks coming up was the right move.

We tried a lot harder to use the middle of the ground this week, ban "down the line" at the MCG, its too big.

Bad:
The rest of West Coast is really hit and miss, Waterman was barely sighted but the pressure up the field had a lot to do with that.

The false sense of security, this all means nothing if we are losing to good teams by <1 goal after being 3-5 goals down. Be 3-5 goals up and win by a goal instead.

Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back